Xenon/HID on the max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasondon

Reaction score
If you instal a true xenon kit on the max, with a ballast, should you still instal a relay kit? Anyone have a xenon on their bike???

Any info appreciated,

Jason

You wouldn't have to but it would be brighter.

I think Hulign bought HID but not sure if he installed yet. Make sure the ballast included in the kit is small.

The reason why most use a relay is due to the high demand the 55 watt HID ballasts have. If they don't have enough power they will not start/turn on. The 35w units pull less but still produce a ton more lumens than the stock bulb.

I am putting a 35w kit in my car so I don't have to sus with a relay kit.

Chris

Chris, I would still use a relay. Frank did that on his Avalanche and the difference was very noticeable.

Be careful you don't short cycle the ballast while starting the bike.

They don't like that very much.

A Headlight switch might be in order.

I agree with the use of a relay in anything that is HID. I have done a couple full retrofits(using fx35 and rx330 projectors) In cars and the problem is not the 35 watt draw when running it is the spike of current draw when the ballast first fires.

And definitely as stated above install a separate switch, the ballasts do not like to be rapidly turned on and off, which is what happens when you are starting the bike.

Someone on one of the other threads posted a link to a light that looks like the new vmax, that light might be a good one to do a projector retro in. I would love to have a TL projo on my max.

I have a 35w H4 Bi-Xenon kit on my max. The Bi-Xenon part is of limited value. the solenoid makes the bulb long enough so one needs to modify the back of the housing, not like it is water proof now, so no big deal.

slim ballast only or it won't fit without a crapload of work. Relay going back to the battery gets good steady voltage and helps protect the bikes electrical system.

the slimbalast kit I got came with a relay. I put the ballast behind the triples under the tank, ran the wires along the radiator manifold (under scoop) to + side of battery.

I disagree with a separate on/off switch- but its your call.

Ive put in about 5 HID sets in cars/bikes.

Sorry for the slow reply, but thanks for all the info. Sounds like a relay is the way to go, so I think i will start with that.

Thanks again,

Jason

Latest posts

Back