You ever have one of those days where you start to question your abilities?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRX/V-MAX

Reaction score
I'm 39 years old, and have been wrenching on my stuff since I was old enough to figures stuff out. I feel like I have above average abilitities, but today makes me wonder.

You may recall my threads about the oil leak and oil all over the carbs.

Well, thanks to Mark for the tip on the hose going to the underside of the airbox, that's sorted out, but while working on that, one of the screws that holds on the chrome carb cover broke off in the manifold.

No problem right, it's a decent flat surface, and out in the open, right? Easy to drill and eze-out and retap if necessary, right?

Well this morning before I go to drilling, I take a center punch and tap the center of the broken bolt for the drill bit.

Holy S@*T it moved! now I didn't whack the crap out of it, just a little tap(I thought)

Now I have a nice little crack in the manifold! Well F@#K!

I pull the airbox back off, remove the water line that's in the way, and I can just see the inside cap screw thats holding the manifold on. The outside screw comes right off, but that inside one is TIGHT!

The allen bit just strips out the head of the screw, and yes, I was using the propper metric bit.

GREAT! I have visions of my carbs having to come off to get to this bastard.

So I decide to take a little break and do some other stuff for a few hours. Then I go buy a brand new bit and try again. Same thing, it just spins in the head.

In desperation, I try stuffing a torx bit in the hole, put some serious downward pressure on it, and finalyy, it comes loose. Hooray for me!

I loosen up all the carb clamps, pull up on the carbs, and bingo, the manifold is out.

A few minutes later, the hole is drilled throught the broken screw, and now I just need to pull it out, clean up the threads, and weld up the crack and I'm ready for reassembly.

Hey, If anyone has a good used one for sale cheap, let me know. It's the front right one. (PING SEAN)

Thanks for letting me rant.........................

Neal

I have spares, let me make sure I have one for the right-front.

Mark

I have spares, let me make sure I have one for the right-front.

Mark

Ok... I've got to know... Spares? :confused2: Do you own them just incase??? Do you take them with you like a spare tire? :rofl_200::rofl_200:

:biglaugh::biglaugh: :thumbs up:

We all have those days Neal... Kudos to you for getting up and relaxing before going back at it... :thumbs up:

Buddy has a junked '85 and he gave me all the old manifolds/carbs from them.

Mark

"spares" are a good thing!

especially in my case.

Thanks guys!

I'm 39 years old, and have been wrenching on my stuff since I was old enough to figures stuff out. I feel like I have above average abilitities, but today makes me wonder.

You may recall my threads about the oil leak and oil all over the carbs.

Well, thanks to Mark for the tip on the hose going to the underside of the airbox, that's sorted out, but while working on that, one of the screws that holds on the chrome carb cover broke off in the manifold.

No problem right, it's a decent flat surface, and out in the open, right? Easy to drill and eze-out and retap if necessary, right?

Well this morning before I go to drilling, I take a center punch and tap the center of the broken bolt for the drill bit.

Holy S@*T it moved! now I didn't whack the crap out of it, just a little tap(I thought)

Now I have a nice little crack in the manifold! Well F@#K!

I pull the airbox back off, remove the water line that's in the way, and I can just see the inside cap screw thats holding the manifold on. The outside screw comes right off, but that inside one is TIGHT!

The allen bit just strips out the head of the screw, and yes, I was using the propper metric bit.

GREAT! I have visions of my carbs having to come off to get to this bastard.

So I decide to take a little break and do some other stuff for a few hours. Then I go buy a brand new bit and try again. Same thing, it just spins in the head.

In desperation, I try stuffing a torx bit in the hole, put some serious downward pressure on it, and finalyy, it comes loose. Hooray for me!

I loosen up all the carb clamps, pull up on the carbs, and bingo, the manifold is out.

A few minutes later, the hole is drilled throught the broken screw, and now I just need to pull it out, clean up the threads, and weld up the crack and I'm ready for reassembly.

Hey, If anyone has a good used one for sale cheap, let me know. It's the front right one. (PING SEAN)

Thanks for letting me rant.........................

Neal

Neal... meet Murphy...
Murphy... meet Neal...

Sorry bout you luck Neal.
Yeah... we all have them days.

I think that most if not all of us have those days when things just don't go your ( my ) way. Other times things just fall into place and everything goes smooth and with out a hitch. Don't beat yourself up over this.

I have many marks in my drywall from wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers.....ect I doesn't do anything for my tools or walls, but shit, it does make me feel better.
:bang head:

Back