Zl1000 Eliminator Vs V65 Vs Vmax Gen 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Texas hasn't chimed in yet, I will. I just sold my ZL1 last year...put that on dumb ass decision list. I've owned all 3 of the bikes listed but unlike Texas, not all at once. Mine was red, and they were made in 2 colors, red and black and were only made 1 year (87). They were 6 speeds. Someone said the 900 was quicker, I disagree from experience. The 900 was geared to run stop light to stop light and is a very quick bike, even for today's standards, but the ZL1 is quicker. I think it still has a record somewhere for it's 0 to 50 time.

It's one nice bike and I badly wish I hadn't sold mine. They are really getting hard to find (in nice shape) and the parts are even harder. My bike was sold to an oversees buyer for a collection. For those lucky enough, having a Zl1 parked next to your max is a very nice garage.

I find it hard to say which was quicker but the ZL1 sure felt like it won the torque contest. All the are nice bikes, period. The Zl1 sure felt faster than my V65. If I'm being honest, I thought the vmax would feel substantially quicker than the ZL1, but I'd call them a tie, from my personal experience. Course, someone like Texas that can climb on either one can better compare them as I never owned more than one at a time.

And just like this forum, the guys over there are great.

By the way, I spoke to Texas yesterday. He is shooting the dragon with his sport bike, the one with 150 plus hp. I forget the name of it. Anyway, he'll enjoy this discussion.

Last season before I bought the VMAXer, I was considering a ZL or a MAX. I already had two Magnas, the 700 and 1100. So, he commented that the ZL will feel a lot lower to the ground. As in slammed down, even though it's only about an inch or so. The bike feels long wheel base wise. The second gear is always a consideration. His low mileage red one is very, very sharp looking. Then, I saw one that didn't not have all the chrome and tricked out effects. I wouldn't open my wallet for it based on it's luster. I couldn't love it.

And to be candid, the VMAX is a much better looking bike. Now regarding the power and handling. The ZL is no slouch, but after riding both, it was clear that the king of the road is the VMAX. Now that I have had the suspension updated with virtually the best money can buy, the MAX has rules in the corners as well as the king of the highways and byways. I love the max.

The only thing that I'm not crazy about is those jumbo scoops. May be I need to chrome them out. After I drop 4 bills on that, may be I can feel better about the scoops.

Windshiield options on a Gen 1 is limited. On the ZL, you can find many universal sets. I only mention the w/shield because it can get real cold on the bike. I like to ride at night. I have installed those big 3 inch spot/driving lighs on all my bikes. So, I can ride just well at night as day.

One big consideration that is often overlooked in inital bike research is Stoping Distance. The ZL that I tried did not stop well. The V65 was a bit less mushy, and the MAXer stopped like a Street Tiger, and leached forward with excellent throttle response.

Ok, so here's what I walked away with.

ZL, is gonna benefit shorter guys. It lies low but is a heavy and long boy.

V65 is the best two up riding machine. With a great windshield and modern suspension it will ride comfortably to California. I got some handlebars like the VMAX, but 2 inches wider and got some high end risers from Rivco. Nice, nice.

VMAX is plain and simple a street fighter that will fock so hard that you will be kind of scared if you don't fully respect it.

By the way, I spoke to Texas yesterday. He is shooting the dragon with his sport bike, the one with 150 plus hp. I forget the name of it. Anyway, he'll enjoy this discussion.

Forgot the name of it.........that's funny Jack. Yes, I was in North Carolina for the weekend riding the Dragon, and a few hundred miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway, weather was VERY NICE, although a little chilly in the mornings and up in the mountains. My buddy came up from Texas, this is our 4th trip down there since I moved up here just over a year ago, here's a picture from Saturday:

Now, the topic at hand? ZL1000 Eliminator. AWESOME MOTORCYCLE! How awesome? Well, as luck would have it, I just bought another one THIS WEEKEND! It popped up on Craigslist Thursday evening, I talked to the guy, and he was in Gastonia, NC......about 2 hours from our Cabin in Maggie Valley. Well, I told him I would swing by on my way home, but then Friday morning he texts me and says he's got all kind of interest, and it will probably be gone by then. One of the reasons there was so much interest is because the bike was posted on the ZL forum and they were on it like vultures, so I told the guy I would be there in 6 hours, and that's what we did. Went straight down there, dropped off my BKing at the cabin and then headed to Gastonia. Got there at 4 pm and test rode the bike, rough around the edges, needs TLC and parts (which I have plenty), but runs good and has 8K original miles, still has the original Dunlops on it! I stole it for 1100 bucks! I'll post some pics below. Now about the 1000 Eliminator, yes, it is a quick bike but not as fast as a V65 Magna, a VMAX or a ZL900. It's quick off the line, but peters out on the top end. That being said, just like any of these muscle bikes, you can make them faster, but a good rider can beat an inexperienced rider on any of these bikes. Now, what the 1000 really has going for it is the rarity. Only 3K ever made, so they are RARE, and they bring pretty good money in stock form. I also saw the one in Michigan when I got back last night, it's already got a thread started about it on the ZL forum. If it were ANYWHERE near me, and if I had ANY room left in my garage, I would go after it. Just can't pull it off right now. If you can grab that bike for around $2500, I think it would be a STEAL! That's about the lowest mileage ZL I have ever seen. Get it, you WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!

003-58.jpg

Zl1000 red 87 my friend Irv has 1 it's a sweet bike and fast, I almost bought 1 last year before the vmax I have now the guy was trying to get $4500.00 for his Zl1000 and would not come down on price. I went with Irv and his ZL1000 up to the Ocean City bike show this weekend. Irv zl1000 has a gas gauge and 6 speed gearbox strong plus for me. I road his zl1 a lot he bought it in 1990. If there's no rust and the gas tank is free of rust. Sound like a good deal always try for a lower price though.

"O" it has to almost a 5 gallon gas tank zl1000

If I had to choose between the vmax and zl1000 it would be hard to make up my mind.

Irv bike is a 10sec bike with jet kit kerker heads ported polish. Low 10s

http://people.aapt.net.au/~ralaw/My_ZL1000s.htm

I'm a big fan of the origional Mad Max, most of the bikes used were the KZ900-1000 models, Kawasaki ruled the roost through most of the 70s.................Tom.
I remember when the KZ-900 hit town. It was the quickest thing I'd ever seen on two wheels. I used to ride my buddy's and always wanted one. Last year my dream came true when I obtained a 1976 KZ-900 in mid restoration. It's coming along. Still needs wiring finished, carbs. mounted and set up. I'm going with the original diamond green with the stripes. It's taking a while, because no rusted or corroded parts allowed, plus the Vmax get's the love first. I would have liked a stock exhaust to have it 100% original, but the Vance and Hines 4-2 is close. I can't wait to ride this bike. I hope to unveil at Rice-o Rama next year. It won't be a daily ride.
Steve-o

I love the KZ's. As a kid I remember them all over town with kerkers on tearing up the road. When I was 16 in '86 my dad allowed me ride his 750 ltd til I wrecked it And it was replaced by a 700 maxim X. Thus started my love for Yamaha and Kawasaki.

I can't recall which mag it was that did the hopped-up ZL, VMax & I think it was GSXR1100, in about '87-'88. They used different hop-up methods & I think the ZL got a turbo. The GSXR just-beat out the VMax, but was too-hard to launch for a casual rider due to the short wheelbase. The VMax was the easiest to ride the 1/4, & almost won the contest. The link is on here somewhere, and I think VMax Outlaw may have a link to the article on its website along w/a lot of other VMax articles.

The tech guy said until the ZL roasted a crank bearing or conn rod big-end, it had the most potential, but of-course, ya gotta finish to win.

I believe you are mistaken. "Mad Max" was six years old by the time the ZL900 was released in the USA.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079501/?ref_=sr_2

Mad Max (1979)
88 min - Action | Adventure | Thriller - 12 April 1979 (Australia)
7.0 Your rating: -/10 Ratings: 7.0/10 from 85,200 users
Reviews: 224 user | 130 critic
A vengeful Australian policeman sets out to avenge his partner, his wife and his son whom were murdered by a motorcycle gang in retaliation for the death of their leader.

Director: George Miller
Writers: James McCausland (screenplay), George Miller (screenplay), 2 more credits »
Stars: Mel Gibson, Joanne Samuel, Hugh Keays-Byrne | See full cast and crew

http://www.ehow.com/list_7457008_specifications-1985-kawasaki-zl900-eliminator.html

Introduced in 1985, the Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator is a cruiser with the feel of a drag-racing bike. The ZL900 was equipped with an inline four-cylinder engine similar to the one used in another popular Kawasaki product, the 1984 ZX900 Ninja. The ZL900 was only produced for two years, but the Eliminator name continued to live on until 2009, encompassing a wide range of cruiser models in a number of engine displacement ranges, from an entry-level 125 cc to a 1,000 cc cruiser.

Oops I stand corrected then , It must of been the KZ1000 then ...

I know there is another place where this belongs, but considering the subject, here it is. Someone get this, quick! GUY CAN'T SPELL, BUT HIS PRICE IS RIGHT!:rofl_200:

85 KAWASAKI ZL 900 ILIMINATOR MECH SPECIAL - $1095 (ST PETE, FL)
00L0L_8iomFZ3yvnd_600x450.jpg

Up for sale is a very nice low mileage 85 zl 900 iliminator NOTE PLEASE READ this bike had sat in a garage for many yrs unfortunetly when it gets warmed up it smokes it will need new valve guide seals it also has a leak in the valve covr so it will need new top end gakits if u know how to work on bikes this would not be hard to fix a new topend gaskit kit on ebay is 130.00 othr then that this bike looks and runs great starts easy and is very reliable is has 10.750 miles clean title nevr wrecked all original first of the big sport cruisers
bike has been gone thru carbs cleaned and synced new battry brakes flushed
call 727 709 4324 PLEASE NO texts or emails $1,095 CASH only NO trades thanks.

The more I look at them the more I dislike the looks. The same thing happened to me and the gen 2 vmax. I think the gen 1 vmax looks more refined and not so overly done.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the Manura is UGLY with those spoke wheels for sure! The ZL1000 looks better in the factory red color, here's one I had in Texas a few years ago. They are really great bikes, not the best ALL OUT PERFORMER, but overall, great bikes that are a blast to ride. You should ride one before making too harsh a judgement on them.

ZL1000_1.jpg

GAG!!! Those Eliminators are butt ugly!

I have a hard time finding a bike I think is ugly. But then I liked even the old 70's BMW boxers, go figure. Many think they are ugly. They sure weren't quick. With the cylinders sticking out Parallel to the road and the round engine look I'd say odd before ugly. Sweet in the twisties and reliable as anything built they seldom broke. Eliminators are great looking. I'm partial to a Vmax though.Gen one or two.

Last edited:
Well said. I think I would be hard pressed to say any bike is ugly. I pretty much like them all but some need to grow on you. If they all looked the same it would be a boring world.

Back