Zl1000 Eliminator Vs V65 Vs Vmax Gen 1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a hard time finding a bike I think is ugly. But then I liked even the old 70's BMW boxers, go figure. Many think they are ugly. They sure weren't quick. With the cylinders sticking out Parrnell to the road and the round engine look I'd say odd before ugly. Sweet in the twisties and reliable as anything built they seldom broke. Eliminators are great looking. I'm partial to a Vmax though.Gen one or two.

Now I have to agree w/you on the BMW's of the '70's/'80's, the airheads. They were purposeful, and aircraft-like, built strong, spare, and designed w/purpose in-mind, not to dazzle as the primary design criterion. They did dazzle if you rode one for any length of time.

Here is an R100RS, a great design. There's just something about a pair that makes me happy to see 'em! And w/a bit of customizing, they can become even more-purposeful in appearance. #4 is a R100RT (red) next to a R100RS (silver? white?) The lower fairing was the same the upper was different, & higher, wider bars on the RT. I had a 60th Anniversary R100RT, and had a bit of a hot-rod: twin-head plugs, Luftmeister black ceramic 2/1, they came stock w/triple Brembos, just like Ducatis, Laverdas, and other sportbikes; Konis, DYNA coils, all of-which I had done. Great fun to ride, and I surprised many Harleys, and the few that did beat me were probably 10X-more expensive. I bought it 9 yrs. old w/7K miles on it. It cost $2200. A year later, I bought my year-old VMax w/1700 miles on it, and pretty-much stopped riding the BMW, which I sold to a friend from Battle Creek MI who flew down and rode it home in late fall.

The BMW looked like a police bike in your rear-view mirror, which I caught-onto when cars in-front of me would rapidly move to the right when I came-up behind them. It took a bit to figure out what was going-on, but I was pleased w/the extra benefit.

images
images
images
images

My buddy just traided his dirt bike for a 98 Vmax. All stock except supertrapp exhaust and painted the air scoops and wheels black. He brought it over to my house to let me check it out. On his way over he picked up a nail so we fixed that. His seat had some tears in it. I had a spair good seat so I traided him. Also gave him a grill for his right air scoop. Topped off the oil, checked the final drive, made sure the Vboost was working. All was good so I got on my V65 and we went for a cruise. Rode to his mom's for her to check it out, got her approval. On the way home there was this open stretch of highway just after a stop sign. We gave each other the look and it was on! He got the jump on me but I quickly passed him and wiped him out!! Slowly pulling ahead in every gear till I shut it down just after fourth. Ended up around 3 car lengths ahead of him. I think he was surprised. Do have to say that he does outweigh me by around 40lbs and my V65 is also an 83....

Years ago I rode with a guy on a Vmax for a short time. He jumped in it in first gear so I did to. I passed him so he shut it down. He never throttled it again. I have a V65 and a Vmax. My Vmax feels faster but after looking down at the speedo after known distance tells a different story.

This is the response I kinda expected from this forum. Notice I did mention he outweighs me by 40 lbs. That makes a big difference.

That's one poster.

You relayed your personal experience, and that has merit, it's not a second-hand story.

A good rider on a lesser bike can beat a poor rider on the supposedly 'fast bike,' I think we have seen that one time or another.

There's probably not a single person in the country that has had as many VMAX, V65's and Eliminators, not only "in total", but also all 3 at the same time, then I have. Also, I go out of my way to return my bikes to "stock" condition, because that's where the money is at in resale, always has, and always probably always will be. I also have the carbs rebuilt and generally get the bikes in tip top running condition. Also, I can't tell you how many times I have ridden with other friends on these same sets of bikes, most of my friends in Texas either had a VMAX or a V65, I met alot of them by selling them bikes! So if there is ONE PERSON, who would have a handle on which bike is "faster", it would most certainly be me. I'm not trying to brag, but that is the truth. There's not one day probably in the past 10 years that I couldn't go out in my garage and decide if I wanted to go ride a V65, a VMAX or a big Eliminator. So, the biggest TRUTH to all of this was already mentioned. A better rider on ANY of these muscle bikes can outrun a lesser rider, that is actually a much bigger factor than the bikes themselves. I've seen it over and over again. However, with pretty equal riders, the facts are this. In a quarter mile race, the VMAX will win 90% of the time, against either the ZL900, ZL1000 or V65. The V65 would come in second, the ZL9 and ZL1000 would be in dead last. In an 1/8 mile race, the ZL9 and ZL1000 would be neck and neck for first place, with a slight edge to the 900. The VMAX and V65 would be gaining ground and would soon overtake them both. Even if you go back to the magazine articles and the "shootouts" they did, the VMAX almost always came in first place. The hard reality is, it was just a more powerful bike than the V65. Each and every one of these bikes has their pluses and minuses, and obviously I love them all, but the VMAX is still King of the 80's muscle bikes in my book. They won the war, and because of that, kept making them for 30 years. I've posted this same opinion on both the ZL and V4 forums, and of course, there's always going to be people that disagree, because of "their" first hand experience, but nobody has ridden as many of them as me, I can promise you that! Thems the straight, hard facts, and I'm sticking to it!

There's probably not a single person in the country that has had as many VMAX, V65's and Eliminators, not only "in total", but also all 3 at the same time, then I have. Also, I go out of my way to return my bikes to "stock" condition, because that's where the money is at in resale, always has, and always probably always will be. I also have the carbs rebuilt and generally get the bikes in tip top running condition. Also, I can't tell you how many times I have ridden with other friends on these same sets of bikes, most of my friends in Texas either had a VMAX or a V65, I met alot of them by selling them bikes! So if there is ONE PERSON, who would have a handle on which bike is "faster", it would most certainly be me. I'm not trying to brag, but that is the truth. There's not one day probably in the past 10 years that I couldn't go out in my garage and decide if I wanted to go ride a V65, a VMAX or a big Eliminator. So, the biggest TRUTH to all of this was already mentioned. A better rider on ANY of these muscle bikes can outrun a lesser rider, that is actually a much bigger factor than the bikes themselves. I've seen it over and over again. However, with pretty equal riders, the facts are this. In a quarter mile race, the VMAX will win 90% of the time, against either the ZL900, ZL1000 or V65. The V65 would come in second, the ZL9 and ZL1000 would be in dead last. In an 1/8 mile race, the ZL9 and ZL1000 would be neck and neck for first place, with a slight edge to the 900. The VMAX and V65 would be gaining ground and would soon overtake them both. Even if you go back to the magazine articles and the "shootouts" they did, the VMAX almost always came in first place. The hard reality is, it was just a more powerful bike than the V65. Each and every one of these bikes has their pluses and minuses, and obviously I love them all, but the VMAX is still King of the 80's muscle bikes in my book. They won the war, and because of that, kept making them for 30 years. I've posted this same opinion on both the ZL and V4 forums, and of course, there's always going to be people that disagree, because of "their" first hand experience, but nobody has ridden as many of them as me, I can promise you that! Thems the straight, hard facts, and I'm sticking to it!

I agree with that. He has more riding experience that me but it is on a Harley. I am more comfortable going through the gears on my V65 than my Vmax because I have much more experience on my V65. I love both these bikes. For me V65 is more comfortable. The Vmax is better looking, sounds better, and the chicks dig it more.
By the way that seat I put on his bike came from you. Now both my bikes and his bike have parts from you. We both say thanks!

Back in the mid 80's I went to a local bike shop and took one of the Eliminator 900's for a test drive. Ahhh back in the good old days. All I had to do was sign a waiver and leave the keys to my V45 Magna. I was gone for hours, racing cars on the interstate and driving all over creation. Had to fill up the tank twice before I returned it. No questions were asked. It was the fastest bike I had ever ridden, up to that point. Not too long after that, I discovered that Yamaha had come out with the VMAX and the rest is history.

Well, right now, I have 2 x Vmax, 2 x ZL1000 and 1 x V65.

I love my vmax. I've ridden both ZL1000s and yes they are nice bikes and pretty quick, obviously not like a vmax but still pretty fast! Straight 4 is always gonna have some revs..

Haven't got round to ride the V65 yet, it needs a couple of things, but sitting on it and starting it it's a typical Honda - great finish, starts on the button, and sounds like it'll run real good.

In the looks department I'd say 1- vmax, 2- V65, 3 ZL. The ZL looks a little long and low, but it's still a lovely bike. The V65 is like an overgrown moped, but I like its looks too. And the max, well, that's the one I love!

They are great bikes, but didn't "take down" anything. The VMAX won the muscle bike war, that's why they are still being produced almost 40 years later!

this guy has got some balls posting th 1987 Kawasaki zl 1000 / Eliminator - $3000 (Ottertail)
00808_lUyDTXZWAbh_600x450.jpg

5807.png
5807.png
5808.png
5808.png

marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/4263241618.html#http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/4263241618.html#http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/4263241618.html#

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

Mint condition low miles Kawasaki ZL 1000" ELIMINATOR " 3,000
It was built to take down the VMAX

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offersis add.

Ill race you for pink slips. I would love to have another eliminator in my garage :punk:

Somehow, I've just now come across this topic. I've had 3 V-max's including the one I currently have, 1 1987 ZL1000 and one V65. I think that the times that are published on these bikes are always the best riders they can find, they ride all day to get there best time to publish and probably have to replace the clutches and tires at the end of it. My point is that most, but not all of us, could never come up with the advertised 1/4 mile times on a stock bike and if we tried at it enough to finally do it, we'd be replacing bits too. It should go without saying that I do like the V-max over the others by far. I'll probably never own the other 2 again and will never be without a V-max again, It's just the vibe of the thing.
By the way, I specifically remember that when the 900 eliminator came out that they were advertised specifically as the fastest motorcycle from 0-50mph. My brothers and I always thought that it was a real joke because nobody cared who was fastest to 50.

Attachments

• 20131026_132449 (1024x576).jpg
    20131026_132449 (1024x576).jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 18
I still have one '87 ZL1000 for sale, and an '83 Honda V65 for sale, as well as my own 2000 Vmax.

Gotta say that having ridden the V65 a bit more, I do like it a lot. It hasn't got the looks or the punch of the max, but it has a lot of grunt, and some very cool things such as the 6th overdrive, the LCD gear indicator and a very clever blinkers cancellation system - not too shabby for a 1983 model! I actually like its looks quite a lot too, and in a way it's a better ride, but that's only 'cos it has a 2nd gear and my Vmax hasn't (yet have to do this bloody gearbox swap :whistlin:)

I can't take it off the road right now tho, as I'm using it to advertise our upcoming concerts!! Check out the pic lol..

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 28
By the way, I specifically remember that when the 900 eliminator came out that they were advertised specifically as the fastest motorcycle from 0-50mph. My brothers and I always thought that it was a real joke because nobody cared who was fastest to 50.

I cared:biglaugh: It was the quickest light to light. You could beat most bikes and no speeding tickets. I had an 85 zl 900. The 2 things that reeled me in were the fat rear tire and that 0 to 50. I could be way off but i think it was 2.4 seconds. I Never cared about speed. It was all about torque and power. I would get another zl900 in a second, but The Vmax is definately the king.

I still care. (See my album for stable mates).

I had the first ZL900 in Ocala, Florida in 1985. Ticked my riding buddy off enough that he bought a VMax. We terrorized the region for years on those things. Picked up another ZL900 recently - after 25 years. It unfortunately met with an untimely demise. (Don't ask:tantrum:)

But, it was true then and true now that the ZL9 will get Mr. Max off the line every time with a talented pilot aboard. The VMax will reel the ZL in by the time 3rd gear gets its wind. I have experienced this (aboard both mounts) many times.

That's the great thing about the ZL's, their bottom end grunt, launch like all get out. But back in the day, quarter mile was King, especially to the magazines. That's why the VMAX won the war and kept on making those great machines! :punk:

"Fastest 0-50 mph" is like having a WR who's great at catching the ball, but fumbles a lot. You have to complete things to make it worthwhile, or to make a worthy reputation. You might as-well tell me the Madura is a full-fledged opponent to the 'Max. Everybody took a shot at it, but no one came anywhere-close to The Original Dominant Archetype.:worthy:

The Eliminator was a really nice effort by Kawasaki. But, seeing and riding both, I will say that Yamaha screwed together a better engineered machine. Forget the styling and performance for a minute. The actual design and execution, as much as anything, was responsible for the VMax's success.

For that matter, from a styling perspective, to my eye, the Eliminator is no-nonsense bad-ass. Pure energy. A scooter distilled down to the lowest common denominator.

It's been mentioned once or twice in the mainstream press that the VMax "persona" was a bit contrived. Maybe so, but it struck a nerve.

Latest posts

Back