Carb sync construction questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I can only find Mercury here in 1 kilo quantities ($110). I am looking to build a sync myself. A few questions. Does the tube size matter? I saw one with 1/4" inside dia tubes. Had all 4 connected at the bottom using t's. They used trans fluid. On my old carb styx, could I use trans fluid in it instead of Mercury?

Jim

If you'd like to make one without using mercury... I'll post the directions in Fabrication, CNC and Projects forum this evening.

Don't use trans fluid in your old carb styx - it's not heavy enough. ATF or water or other thin fluids work well in a large system ( like about 4 feet ) , but in a typical commercial carb sync mercury is used because it's so much heavier/denser than ATF. If your are even slightly out of sync you would prolly suck the ATF out in a couple seconds.

What I am in the process of making is from 14" id tube. I cut the tube to 39" already. I hope that will be long enough. The design I saw also had a set of 1" pvc 10" long at the top of each of the 4 tubes. This was to catch fluid if a hose came off. It could also act as a damper. I was going to try it without those first.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8237&hl=manometer

Here is the link to the place I got this from. What do you think?

Should work fine - mine is homemade as well. If I still have pics of it on my home computer I'll post them after work.

tvmax,

Here's a good thread on carb sync. There are directions I posted up on how to build your own carb sync tool. It uses a gauge instead of fluid.

Carb Sync

I dug up my old pics as well - not as elaborate, but maybe cheaper. It's 3/8" x 1/4" clear plastic tubing mounted on a piece of board. I jammed 1" pieces of coax cable in the ends as restrictors & attached 3/16" fuel line to mate up to the carbs. No moving parts to jamb, no gauges to calibrate & no mercury to spill - just ATF. It's not fancy, but it's dead-on accurate & costs about 12 bucks.

Attachments

• carbsync.jpg
    carbsync.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 33
  • lower.jpg
    lower.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 28
  • restrictor.jpg
    restrictor.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 27
  • upper.jpg
    upper.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 25
Rich,
Thanks, Your "t" connection setup is nicer than what I was doing. Definately going to use yours. I also have the restrictors I am using from my Carb Styx. I will miss my carb styx. If I was not in such a hurry and was in the US I would have just bought a Merc refill. I bought my Styx many years back for $17 or $24. Cant remember exactly which. They have served me very well and saved me alot of dollars.
Hope to finish these up tomorrow. Will let you know how it all went.

TIA
Jim

Rich,
The carb sync worked great! I used the restrictors and lines to go from the 1/4" tube to the engine. It doesnt bounce at all. I make a tiny change and wait a couple seconds as it adjusts level. I think it is much more sensative than the carb styx.
I didnt mount mine to a board. I just went every foot and chained zip ties keeping the tubes together and aligned. After I can just coil it up and hang it out of reach. It wasnt out much in ref to screw adjustment but it is amazing the difference it makes.
Cost $3, satisfaction priceless.

Thanks again
Jim

Latest posts

Back