How to remove glass lens from speedometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wheeliepup

Reaction score
I have called upon this forum to correct a minor problem with my speedometer fogging over on the inside. I did get several responses but none of them offered a remedy to this problem without risking the possibility of damaging the glass or the bezel or ruining the cosmetics! These speedometers are very expensive!
Well low and behold, I have discovered a method for removing the speedometers bezel without damaging it physically or cosmetically, and you can disassemble it over and over again if you need to clean the inside of the lens.
I provided some pictures of the procedure so here you are.
<o>> :th_image003:</o>>

• Remove the speedo from the bike and remove all the brackets and the chrome housing. You will also need to carefully remove the rubber gasket that seals the chrome body to the bezel. This process will require you to slip it out of the reset knob?be careful!!!
    DSC00192.jpg
  • You will notice that the stainless steel bezel that holds the glass lens was machined formed around the housing to pretty much permanently seal this glass lens onto the speedo.
    DSC00190.jpgDSC00191.jpg
  • Provide yourself with a good work surface like a piece of corrugated cardboard to prevent scratching the bezel. I would also recommend that you protect the lens and bezel with masking tape to prevent scratching from an accidental slip of the file (Don?t Ask)! Using a good flat file, gradually remove the edge of the chrome bezel by filing it down until you start to expose the plastic underneath. Easy does it, take your time, do not get in a hurry?you don?t want to remove too much material, and you do not want to break off the fragile plastic odometer reset knob. You will not be able to file underneath the odometer knob but you do need to file as much of the rim as possible.
    DSC00193.jpg
  • After you have removed most of the stainless steel lip, take a rubber mallet and gently tap the bezel around the housing, gradually working your way around and freeing it from the housing. I was able to do this while holding the speedo in my hand.

• Viola!! Bezel and glass is free and you can now clean the inside of the lens?Much better! I think I am going to replace the bulbs with blue LED?s while I have the speedo off and disassembled.
    DSC00194.jpg
  • When reassembling it, I would not use permanent glue because you just might want to access this area again. I am going to apply a thin smear of black RTV to prevent any moisture from getting in, but not so much as to make it difficult to disassemble again.

• Looks much cleaner now? wouldn?t you agree??
    DSC00196.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have carefully pried the crimp open and reclosed it. Much harder then what you pictured but maybe a bit more OEM type. I think your repair would work just fine.

Sean

Now all I have to do is find a painter to add a "1" digit to the left of the first digit of the odometer so it says "119600" instead of "19600".

I'll worry about changing the number to "2" when the bike hits 200,000 miles.

I'm curious about how this is holding up. I'm about to do the same thing with mine, but to fix a sticky needle. Not looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Back