Next battery - Ballistic or Shorai?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triumph1050

Reaction score
Im gonna need a new battery soon and was wondering which of these lithium ion batteries some of the members here recommend. I'm thinking several of you have tried these.

And i don't have the bike apart in front of me right now it's in the garage so do I need the left negative right positive version?

Thanks for input...

During the past year+, I have installed two Ballistic batteries in my VMax and FZR1000. No-matter how-long it's been since I last used them, they always spin the starter motor immediately, and 'with vigor.' The specs on the Ballistic are better than the Shorai (410 CCA vs. 270 CCA), but if you insist on the lower price-point, the Shorai is probably a bit less. I think you would be happy w/either one.

News alert!

View larger image
By Curtis Tate | McClatchy Newspapers

By Curtis Tate McClatchy Newspapers
WASHINGTON — A fire that broke out last week in a Boeing 787 Dreamliner could have been hot enough to melt the carbon-fiber reinforced plastic that makes up the plane’s shell, according to the results of tests the Federal Aviation Administration performed last year.
Early Wednesday, Japan's All Nippon Airways grounded all 17 of its Dreamliners after a flight made an emergency landing at the Takamatsu airport in western Japan. Smoke was reported in the cockpit, and the plane's 137 passengers were evacuated.
The incident magnifies concerns about the plane's safety. A fire last week in a lithium battery housed near the tail section of a Japan Airlines plane at Boston’s Logan International Airport prompted an investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board and a review by the FAA.
FAA spokeswoman Brie Sachse said the Japan event "will be included in the comprehensive review the FAA began last week of the 787 critical systems, including design, manufacture and assembly."
Boeing spokeswoman

So, if you're concerned about burning a hole in your VMax fuselage as you pull that monumental sky-shot wheelie, don't buy Li-ion batteries!:rofl_200:

Last edited:
Do you know if any of the 12 cell ballistics work are they all the same? theyre advertising for specific motorcycle brands and even models.

Do they have to be that specifically broken down? are your two batteries in your two bikes the same?

Do you know if any of the 12 cell ballistics work are they all the same? theyre advertising for specific motorcycle brands and even models.

Do they have to be that specifically broken down? are your two batteries in your two bikes the same?

I don't know if Ballistic is now making specific shaped batteries for bikes, my batteries fit the boxes in the bikes they replaced the lead-acid batteries, but it is not an exact fit. Just use some of the dense expanded plastic packing they come with to take-up any space you want to.

Yes the two bike batteries are the same.

I personally used the Panasonic LC-X1220P replacement (UB12180) Battery (18 Ah - 283 CCA) vs Stock Yuasa YB16AL-A2 (16 AH - 200 CCA).
I paid $42 for and it's been in my Vmax for almost 6 years now and is still going Strong.
http://www.apexbattery.com/universal-ub12180-12v-18ah-sealed-lead-acid-ba.html
I just can't see paying $140-190 for a Battery when a $42 Battery works just as well IMO.
I trickle charge it for a few hours, every few weeks over the Winter but I never bother during the riding season.

Last edited:
Ballistic ones are better on paper. Better specs for similar price.

Got a shorai recently for replacing my acid type one. I couldn't find any gel type locally matching the original box. The shorai comes with enough padding to make it perfectly fit.
The CCA is significant it really made difference and on top of this I get a 13.6V when the bike switched off instead of the usual 12.6V of the acid based ones.

So yeah it's pricey but it really works perfectly without any hassle.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I hadn't used my FZR1000 in about 4 months, and when I went to start it up, the Ballistic spun it over like I rode it yesterday, it started right-up. It did take a bit longer cranking than if you just rode it, but no-problems after sitting idle for that-long. To my mind, 410 CCA is a significant improvement over the stocker. Can you say, "double?"

Even the 247 CCA is only 60% of the Ballistic. I hate to be stranded. You could spend $100 having your bike flat-bedded after a break-down due to a dead battery. But, if price is the deciding factor, some people want the cheap-shot. They're $50 shipped on Amazon (Panasonic LC-X1220P Battery)

A friend of mine uses a ballistic, lets his bike sit all winter, and 6 months later it fires like it was on a battery tender. I was sold. A ballistic is in my near future, after I pay some monies I owe next week. The plus for me is it's lighter, smaller. With the spare room my CO2 tank, regulator and expansion chamber, for my airshifter, will fit in the vacated space.

I personally used the Panasonic LC-X1220P Battery (18 Ah - 247 CCA) vs Stock Yuasa YB16AL-A2 (16 AH - 200 CCA).
I paid $42 for and it's been in my Vmax for almost 6 years now and is still going Strong.
http://www.apexbattery.com/panasoni...-lead-acid-batteries-panasonic-batteries.html
I just can't see paying $140-190 for a Battery when a $42 Battery works just as well IMO.
I trickle charge it for a few hours, every few weeks over the Winter but I never bother during the riding season.

I agree that 100.00+ battery will die eventually. Because it cost more makes it indestructible? Naaa. There are plenty of batteries out there much cheaper that last as long or longer than the special name n high priced batteries.

I hadn't used my FZR1000 in about 4 months, and when I went to start it up, the Ballistic spun it over like I rode it yesterday, it started right-up. It did take a bit longer cranking than if you just rode it, but no-problems after sitting idle for that-long. To my mind, 410 CCA is a significant improvement over the stocker. Can you say, "double?"

Even the 247 CCA is only 60% of the Ballistic. I hate to be stranded. You could spend $100 having your bike flat-bedded after a break-down due to a dead battery. But, if price is the deciding factor, some people want the cheap-shot. They're $50 shipped on Amazon (Panasonic LC-X1220P Battery)

I just don't see any need for 410 CCA for a 1200cc Bike at a cost of $150 more.
My bike starts everytime without fail and has for over 5 years with the Panasonic @ 283 CCA.
Obviously 200 CCA is sufficient to start the Bike or Yamaha would have put in a higher CCA Battery from the factory.

And if you really wanted the Highest CCA the Odyssey PC680 would probably be a better buy for about $140-150:
680 cranking amps for 5 seconds
595 cranking amps for 10 seconds
525 cranking amps for 20 seconds
17 amp hours

And I have Never had to have it towed due to the Panasonic Failing so that argument just doesn't hold up.
I can buy 4 Panasonic's ($42), which last as long, if not longer, for the Price of 1 Ballistic ($190), so for me that's a No-Brainer.

PS
I just checked my Panasonic which hasn't been charged in over a month and it is at 12.94V (Still Fully Charged).

As for the Shorei,
it's seems very over priced ($180) as well with less CCA (270 vs Panasonics 283):
http://www.atbatt.com/product/24416/motorcycle/yamaha/vmx12-v-max-1200cc-85-07/battery

Last edited:
It all depends on what your wanting. I wanted higher cranking amps & have been trying to shave weight off the bike. My oddesy weighed right at 14 lbs & the ballistic is 2.5 that is a big weight savings plus I have extra room to mount stuff solenoids c02 bottle etc. The Ballistic also has a 3 year warranty.

It all depends on what your wanting. I wanted higher cranking amps & have been trying to shave weight off the bike. My oddesy weighed right at 14 lbs & the ballistic is 2.5 that is a big weight savings plus I have extra room to mount stuff solenoids c02 bottle etc. The Ballistic also has a 3 year warranty.

Kyle makes a hell of a point, I couldn't have set up my nitrous kit the way I did without the Ballistic battery and the COP's ans over 11lb weight loss is just icing on the cake... All in what you wanna do, I love my Ballistic battery and I bought it through Kyle...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I did the Goldwing battery mod a few years ago, so toss weight savings out the window....
I weigh 310+ lbs - so I'd be better off laying off the cheeseburgers and beer for a few months if I want to save weight. Got COPS, and the new style R/R unit. Along with the GW battery, my Max turns over like I forgot to put in the spark plugs!!

Kyle makes a hell of a point, I couldn't have set up my nitrous kit the way I did without the Ballistic battery and the COP's ans over 11lb weight loss is just icing on the cake... All in what you wanna do, I love my Ballistic battery and I bought it through Kyle...

That is a Good Point, If Weight Savings and extra room for NO2 (etc.) and Higher CCA, then the Ballistic does seem to be the right choice.

But for me (I don't drag my Vmax), the weight savings and higher CCA, just aren't worth an extra $150.

I would be curious to know what type of life-span everyone is getting out of the Ballistic, Shorai and Odessy Batteries.
I had two Stock Yuasa Batteries and only got 2-1/2 to 3 years each out of them and then put in the Panasonic and it's been going strong for almost 6 years now.

Last edited:
OK, since you want to talk advantages, ever have acid damage to your bike from a battery, One less thing to worry-about w/the Li-Fe.

You can shoot the same game w/a JC Higgens 12 gauge or you can use a Purdy. One costs considerably-more and is finished much-better, is made out of better materials, has superior resale value, and has an actual heritage value as it's passed from father to son.

No battery is gonna be passed from father to son, but some people are willing to pay for a product made with premium material. A Chevette gets you to Carmel the same as an R8 AUDI but which trip are you gonna remember? Nothing against penny-pinching, more $ to spend elsewhere, but quality of materials and leading-edge technology drives all-kinds of markets.

OK, since you want to talk advantages, ever have acid damage to your bike from a battery, One less thing to worry-about w/the Li-Fe.

You can shoot the same game w/a JC Higgens 12 gauge or you can use a Purdy. One costs considerably-more and is finished much-better, is made out of better materials, has superior resale value, and has an actual heritage value as it's passed from father to son.

No battery is gonna be passed from father to son, but some people are willing to pay for a product made with premium material. A Chevette gets you to Carmel the same as an R8 AUDI but which trip are you gonna remember? Nothing against penny-pinching, more $ to spend elsewhere, but quality of materials and leading-edge technology drives all-kinds of markets.
No, I never have had any acid damage to any bike I owned even with the old OEM Wet Cell batteries.
And since the Panasonic is a Sealed Lead Acid Battery, it's Not an issue either.

I don't see ANY correlation Between Collectable shotguns vs cheap Shotguns and Motorcycle Batteries.
I really don't think Anyone ever bought a Battery based on Re-sale value or due to it's heritage.

As for the Chevette ($500 or so) vs Audi R8 (around $200,000) comparison, that doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.
We're talking around a $150 Difference between these batteries NOT a $199,500 difference.
Personally I'd choose my Vmax (I actually own one of those, ;)) for that Drive (which I'll start with my $42 Battery, LOL) and I'm 100% sure that I'll enjoy the Ride.

I just don't personally see any real advantage to paying 4 times the price for a battery,
when the SLA-AGM Panasonic I bought does exactly what it's designed to do:
Reliably Start my VMax and last longer than the OEM Battery.

But if you feel it's worth the extra cost to get the Ballistic, then that's certainly your choice.
I was just making a case for a Cheaper Battery that I bought (that has proven to be a Great buy) vs expensive Batteries that I don't feel offer much other than to Drag Racers who want to shave weight or someone that really wants/needs that extra CCA (like someone that has a 1570cc Motor)

I asked about the life-span on those Other batteries in my last post because I really am interested.
I'd like to know how long they last because if they hold up for 5-6 years they might be slightly more cost effective for people.

Just like I said before, if you need extra space for stuff and interested in the weight savings then the Ballistic is worth it and it does have more juice as well. If your just looking for a stock replacement then anything works, even the original lead/acid battery which is the cheapest option.

Back