New Bike Build/4130 Frame

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TURBOVMAX

Reaction score
Well I decided to build a new bike. Won't start until fall. The new Max will be a road bike with occasional runs at the drag strip. It will be a 1260 with Electronic Fuel Injection and a Blow Thru Turbo. It will have a complete 4130 chrome moly frame with chain drive. The wheel base will be 60". The goal... build it light and fast and retain the looks of a stock Vmax. As with most bikes I've built, getting the parts in advance keeps the project moving along once started. I'll post up the parts and the price. So if anybody wants to do the same, they will have a pretty good idea of what the over all costs are.

Started with the wheels and front end, been searching Ebay for a while for good deals and finally scored. The pic below is what was purchased recently. Always liked the newer R1 stuff... radial brakes and nice wheel design. The wheels were purchased as a package and the front end separately. Everything is practically brand new. If you add up all of the individual parts that's a hell of a deal, the wheels had less than 1500 miles on them.

Cost:
Wheels as shown 500.00
R1 Front End as shown 300.00

Weights:
Rear Wheel 31 lbs.
Front Wheel 25.5 lbs.
Forks (as shown) 27.5 lbs.

Total 84 lbs.

vmax_R1.jpg

VERY interested in this! Any progress yet? Its not like you have anything else to do...:rofl_200:

VERY interested in this! Any progress yet? Its not like you have anything else to do...:rofl_200:

Your funny... no TV for me. No progress, just spending money on parts. Bought some stock 05-06 GSXR Rear Sets today. I'll post them up when they arrive along with the price and weights.

Last edited:
On vaca this week and it's raining :puke: Bright side...scored a set of 05-06 GSXR OEM Rear Sets on EBAY. Parts attached, less than 4000 miles. Need a little welding, no biggie. Plan to use a set of adjustable aftermarket beauties once I get the frame built. But these will do for the fit up, can aways put them back up on Ebay later. Geese Louise... I need to get back to work.

Cost 40.00 per side... another good deal!

05-06 GSXR 1000 SetL.jpg

05-06 GSXR 1000 SetR.jpg

Cool. Ya know, it might be a good idea to make some brackets(flat plate with several holes for different positions) that would allow use of some oem type rearsets. The stock shifter rod is adjustable a decent amount, but would'nt allow huge changes. Once you get the initial placement set, then it would'nt require alot to suit different riders. Just a thought....

Figure that's the way to go. Real easy to find the OEM ones and there's a lot of cool billet ball bearing aftermarket rear sets for GSXR 1000's. The only real difference between the aftermarket adjustable and non is the grid of mounting holes to make rider adjustment's. I can easily design that into the frame construction.

Weighed some parts today.

Engine output gear and u joint assembley 6 lbs.
Swing Arm w/pumpkin 29 lbs. (no drive shaft)

:hmmm: 35 lbs.

Thanks to Jeff we have some weights on the front and rear wheels of a late model VMAX.

Total VMAX Wheels 67 lbs.

Total R1 Wheels 56.5 lbs.

Anybody have the weight of late model VMAX front forks? Preferably with triple tree and axle only.

Sorry about the delay on the engine weight, helped a friend move all weekend. Should have the engine out by wednesday.
Cheers

Sorry about the delay on the engine weight, helped a friend move all weekend. Should have the engine out by wednesday.
Cheers

Thank You Main! No hurry... just trying to create a spread sheet for the Fall when the project begins. Thanks again for your efforts. While you have the scale out and the bike apart. Feel free to measure anything else you think would be important to light weighting the bike. It would be interesting compare weights.

This is some good tech stuff!!!! The weight of the r1 rims you posted,i guess that was including the tires mounted? It would be awsome to have a cheat sheet of the old max parts and weights to help figure out what to buy that really lightens it up. JOHN

This is some good tech stuff!!!! The weight of the r1 rims you posted,i guess that was including the tires mounted? It would be awsome to have a cheat sheet of the old max parts and weights to help figure out what to buy that really lightens it up. JOHN

Thank You,

This new bike project has me pretty psyched. Can't wait to get through the EFI project to get started. The weight of the R1 stuff is with tires etc. as shown in the pics. Gonna put the VMAX on a Jenny Craig diet! Sooo... yes I will create a spread sheet of the VMAX with a corresponding weight for each part. If any of the forum members would like to contribute they can simply weigh parts and post them preferably to the gram. I can then update the sheet and people can reference it when they want to do the same. As soon as I can get the time, I'll make up the sheet and post it so we can start.

This info has given me some good info on rims.I did not realize how heavy my Kosman rims where till you posted the 31lb R1 rims.The rims where worked over to except a sprocket which where originally set up for shaft.They weigh 37 lb with tire!!!!!!!!!! Makes me wonder what my bike will do with lighter rims. Thanks for info ,if i get chance to weigh a part as its off bike i will. JOHN

I noticed your turbo bike seems to have custom rims, what type are they and do you know who much they weigh with tire.I am researching the cost and weights of rims. JOHN

John,

The rims on my bike are from Precision Metal Fab click on this link and it will take you there. They make a lot of drag bike stuff and their work is like jewelery. I can't recall what the exact weight is with tire but they are very very light. If you give them a call they will tell you... their very nice. I'd really appreciate your weighing parts... no hurry.

Thanks

Got some more parts on the way... another ebay deal $200.00 to my door. GSXR 07-08 complete swingarm. Mint! I'll chop it all up of course. Will post the weight when it arrives.

GSXR 1000 R Arm.jpg

GSXR 1000 F Arm.jpg

GSXR 1000 S Arm.jpg

wow gary that looks mint. also quite the swingarm!

Hey Gary,

I just picked up a rear wheel that'll fit right in that swingarm...

Got a set of 05-07(not sure if 08 is the same) GSXR 1000 wheels w/ rotors and cush on the rear. Front wheel has both spacers. Rear wheel just needs the small outer spacer on one side. No tires. $350

Here are their weights

05-07 GSXR 1000 front wheel(w/ both rotors/bearings/spacers): 16.5lbs
05-07 GSXR 1000 front wheel(same as above but w/ 120/70R17 BT014 tire): 24.5lbs
05-07 GSXR 1000 rear wheel(rotor, bearings, cush, stk steel sprocket): 19.0lbs
Anyone got the weight of a 190/50R17 rear tire? I know they vary by brand, but at least we can get in the ball park?
I had a used Metzler Rennsport 180/55R17 laying around i threw on the scales with the rear wheel: 30.5lbs.
Dunno if that 180 is heavier than the 190s or not. I know its not as wide but its taller. Guess i'll have to wait til i get another tire...

Mark... it's amazing to me what you can buy sportbike wise and the deals. Had a chance to weigh that GSXR arm tonight 31 lbs. with everything on it.

I found this on the internet... so it has to be real!!!!!

Bridgestone Battlax is 199/50 - 17 = 15.0 lbs

Latest posts

Back