Lofted the front end at 5700ft....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shuriken

Reaction score
Out with 2 buddies last Saturday. One friend rides a BMW-K1200(gs?) and the other friend has a 1987 Honda CBR-1000f Hurricane. We were out tooling around quite slow. I got a bit bored of that and decided to launch the Max from a stoplight.

We were all waiting for the light and I was concentrating on the green while my friends were looking at each other and talking. I began staging and as soon as they heard me revving up the engine (somewhere in the 6k range?) they looked over. The light went green and I released the clutch just right so that I didn't bog the engine and the ME-880 hooked up. I felt the weight shift to the rear and got away from the light a bit and then felt the front wheel come down and heard the tire chirp. The Max left me with a big grin under the helmet as I left my friends in the rear view mirrors.

When we stopped for a chat later that day, the BMW guy said he'd never seen a Max pop a wheelie. I think he said he'd never seen any old 80's street bike do that. He was impressed. They were both trying to figure out how high the front came up. To me, it felt like a few inches only, but they said it was a foot or two.

Sweet.

The max lifts the wheel and sets it down VERY gently when under power like that. At least mine does... I've done the same thing several times.

Fun huh?

Chris

definitely. i think by the time we *think* the front end is up, its up way further than it is. i've thought i've lifted a few inches and people have said its almost like a foot..

Try it on a Max with forward controls. Until you get used to it it can be VERY unsettling LOL. (Looks a riot from the sidelines tho)

There are a few videos under my youtube one2dmax name that show us coming out in some nice wheelies. This is about how it needs to be launched. Note the clutch handle position as you move through the series.

Sean

Attachments

• tv-sept-07 334.jpg
    tv-sept-07 334.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 59
  • tv-sept-07 335.jpg
    tv-sept-07 335.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 55
  • tv-sept-07 336.jpg
    tv-sept-07 336.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 54
Try it on a Max with forward controls. Until you get used to it it can be VERY unsettling LOL. (Looks a riot from the sidelines tho)

My buddies Max has F/C on it and that is the reason I don't... lol They are great for cruising but... Not for doing Vmax things... :biglaugh:

Oh yeah!

Mostly because it is a 24 year old, paid-for, pig-heavy, formerly abused bike running at a high elevation.

Woo Hoo Shout out for the High Elevation Vmaxes!

4300ft

My buddies Max has F/C on it and that is the reason I don't... lol They are great for cruising but... Not for doing Vmax things... :biglaugh:

Woo Hooo Shout out for my Brothers runnin' Forwards!

Depromoto Forwards w/Kuryakin pegs.

There are a few videos under my youtube one2dmax name that show us coming out in some nice wheelies. This is about how it needs to be launched. Note the clutch handle position as you move through the series.

Sean

Yeah, you can definitely tell when you get it right vs. when you don't.

Sean, I like in the pics how the bike you are racing appears to be sitting there spooling while the Max is launching!

Yea, here's another view showing just how far the carry was the second time around. I think that was an 11.05 pass with 1.70's 60' time. I can't remember but it may have picked up the back tire for the trigger for the 60' on that pass.

The other was my old 99 back a few years.

Sean

Attachments

• VmaxVsBusa1.jpg
    VmaxVsBusa1.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 33
  • VmaxVsBusa2.jpg
    VmaxVsBusa2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 37
  • VmaxVsBusa3.jpg
    VmaxVsBusa3.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 37
  • VmaxVsBusa4.jpg
    VmaxVsBusa4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 36
The max lifts the wheel and sets it down VERY gently when under power like that.

I agree. The Max is quite the contrast to my XL500r, which jacks the wheel up in milliseconds with a handful of throttle in 1st. The subtle lift definitely feels different. It would be very easy to flip the XL because it comes up so fast.

Back