03-04 R1 rear shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thevmaxrider

Reaction score
I have been doing some intitial research and measurements and believe that a pair of shocks made for the 03-04 R1 might be made to work on the Max. Plan is to work on getting a set mounted in the next month or so, have to modify the top bushing mount to accept a Vmax bushing, and fit testing on the bike. Might have to re-spring the shocks with a stiffer spring from Hyperpro if they cannot handle the weight. When I get them on will post pics.

Neat idea. You might wanna check the R1 shock travel. They attatch via a progressive type of linkage and not directly to the swingarm. This reduces the travel needed. Might pose a problem when on the V-max. Also doubt that you'll need to add any spring pressure. The R-1's weigh in over 400lbs wet and one shock holds the weight of the bike/rider. The V-max, using two shocks(double the capacity) might be a little over sprung. The above mentioned linkage might change this though, due to the linkage not acting on the spring/shock the same as the donor bike. Might work out great. Keep us posted!

Last time we tried that they were so damn hard you may have simply welded on struts.

Sean

Were they oversprung or just not enough travel? I would imagine I can get softer springs. If the travel is too short there will not be much I can do, but if the springs are the issue I can fix that.

Thanks Bill!! Just doing some spitballing with ideas as it were here. Figured I would have to play around with a bunch of different ideas to come up with something that works. Funny thing is, with all the other money I have spent or am spending on mods I am looking for a thrifty alternative for this mod.

You still only used one shock. The vmax would require two (unless a custom arm and modified tank were made).

Sean

Thanks Bill!! Just doing some spitballing with ideas as it were here. Figured I would have to play around with a bunch of different ideas to come up with something that works. Funny thing is, with all the other money I have spent or am spending on mods I am looking for a thrifty alternative for this mod.
I know what your talking about... Ohlins and Works are stupid expensive... When I happened on the Fox Racing shock on E-Bay I jumped on it. Like you said if you can get a cheap way to mount them (stock R1 shocks). You should be able to snag a couple R1 shocks off flea-bay for around $200 Canadian...

BTW you can use 2001-2003 shocks. I'm sure you know, just make sure they have vertical reservoirs. If you use stock R1's, what you gonna do about the yellow springs?

After thinking about it, it makes sense that the shocks would be too stiff. WAAAAY too stiff in fact. The factory R-1 setup has the shock located infront of the tire. This places the shock over a foot further foreward than the V-max setup does, which INCREASES the leverage the arm has on the shock tremendously(requiring a very stiff spring). Just moving the shock back makes it MUCH stiffer like adding a stiffer spring(over sprung), then you add another shock/spring and you've compounded your problem. Of course, changing the spring would take care of this. Still curious to know if the travel will be sufficient.

After thinking about it, it makes sense that the shocks would be too stiff. WAAAAY too stiff in fact. The factory R-1 setup has the shock located infront of the tire. This places the shock over a foot further foreward than the V-max setup does, which INCREASES the leverage the arm has on the shock tremendously(requiring a very stiff spring). Just moving the shock back makes it MUCH stiffer like adding a stiffer spring(over sprung), then you add another shock/spring and you've compounded your problem. Of course, changing the spring would take care of this. Still curious to know if the travel will be sufficient.

One thing to remember is that the R1 rear shock uses a linkage system to attach it to the swingarm. This actually reduces the sprung weight and would allow a softer spring to be used. What I am going to do is contact Hyperpro and see about getting 2 #350 springs to replace the #400 ones on the two shocks and test those out. I originally got the shock I have to install on my Wife's FZ6, but it proved to be too lightly sprung for it due to the lack of linkage. Will keep everyone appraised of progress:biglaugh:

One thing to remember is that the R1 rear shock uses a linkage system to attach it to the swingarm. This actually reduces the sprung weight and would allow a softer spring to be used. What I am going to do is contact Hyperpro and see about getting 2 #350 springs to replace the #400 ones on the two shocks and test those out. I originally got the shock I have to install on my Wife's FZ6, but it proved to be too lightly sprung for it due to the lack of linkage. Will keep everyone appraised of progress:biglaugh:

Yeah, i think i mentioned the linkage earlier. Just was'nt sure of the extent of its effects.

Also to keep in mind, the FZ6 weighs in at over 30lbs more than the R1. And the FZ6 has almost a 2" longer wheelbase that does the R1. Both of which added to the problem. I'm sure hyperpro will steer ya right on the spring rates. The valving may need to be adjusted as well. Maybe there is enough built-in adjustment?

Will have to wait and see about the valving. The damping/rebound are adjustable so I may have enough play there to make that part work. Once I start getting into rebuilding/revalving the shocks the mod loses its lustre, now getting back into the serious $$ range of other shocks. Once I get some help from Hyperpro I will have a better idea.

Thought I would post a pic. I show it to be from 2002 though I know we have it from even earlier back then that. You have to look past the smoke - lol!

Sean

Attachments

• DSC00046.jpg
    DSC00046.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back