04 w/carb issue (I Believe)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AEmedic

Reaction score
My 04 ran fine before I moved it down to Florida from Northern AL at the end of July. It even seemed to run fine when I moved it from the Toy Hauler to the storage unit.

At the end of Aug I went to move it over to the new house from storage and it wouldn't idle off choke and would only keep running if I kept the throttle up. It was painful to get home under those conditions. On the way I stopped and got fresh fuel (Sunoco ultra 93) and that made no difference. Over the last few months I have added Seafoam to the fuel and run it a number of times and nothing has changed.

From what I have read on the forums, it looks as though the shotgun treatment is next and that my problem seems familiar. I was surprised that it was fine one month and not the next.

The only other issue I know of on the bike is that the coils have cracks in the outer coating, but they have been that way for a few years... I have intentions of getting the coil over plug conversion but haven't seen the need. I still don't think this current issue relates to the coils. Am I right?

Is there anyone on the Space Coast of Florida that can help a guy out to get the Max up and running right again?

I assume the elevationd are not that far off that the tune is a issue.

but yes sounds like it gummed up from sitting....happenes it all dependends on the fuel.

shot gun and peashooter and another tank of reg....super not needed with some seafoam and see if it helps....

checking other things like sync and float level is a good thing but don't think part of your issue.

I am pretty sure AL was about 800 ft above sea level and now I'm at sea level, so not too drastic, and it seemed to run normal when I moved it to storage initially.

The coils cracked on the outside is pretty normal, but since there is an issue check them. Cops are a great upgrade. +1 to what Tugla said. A month is plenty of time for gas to turn bad. I put stabilizer in almost everything that's going to sit for 2 weeks or longer.
Steve-o

Thanks guys! I have never really done anything to this bike and I'm a little apprehensive about tearing into it, hence my desire to have some local wisdom present during the process.
For me, the real riding season is just now starting so I need to get it right!

You can try the shotgun and/or peashooter but pulling the carbs and checking the pilot jets is a way to definitely ID a problem and verify it is corrected.

Just curious: How many HP increase can a person expect to see after going to the COPS mod? :ummm:

None. There is no performance gain from going to COP's...it may start a little easier and you get to eliminate lots of points of possible corrosion....more of a convenience factor than anything else.

None. There is no performance gain from going to COP's...it may start a little easier and you get to eliminate lots of points of possible corrosion....more of a convenience factor than anything else.
Exactly, also I keep an extra Coil in my fork bag and if I had to I could switch one out anywhere in about 1 minute.

Can you imagine trying to switch out an OEM front coil....on a rainy night? Oiy!! :bang head:

That's why you have four cylinders, 3 gets you home as-long as the connecting rod & piston are still together.

Well, if you know me: #1. I'm a cheapskate at heart and don't want to spend money if I don't have to. And #2. I'm all about keeping this 85 as close to OEM as I possibly can. Heck, even the battery box mod caused me to lose sleep, and I prolly wouldn't have done it, if it weren't for being so darn easy to put the OEM box back in some day. But the increased CCA is something I can definitely feel each and every time I hit the start button, so IMO, was justified enough to make the mod. Since I seldom find myself limping the bike home in a downpour, I will keep the OEM coils firing for now. lol

(now, if I could only have kept this philosophy in tact for the 09.... #@%&*$;) )

Just finished shooting the shotgun, I went to start it and the battery was dead. I guess I spent too much time trying to restart it and too little time letting it run before I got to this point. I put it on the CTEK and will try to start it tomorrow.

Fingers crossed...

Good luck!!

Thanks! I was surprised that the Odyssey battery wasn't ready to go. It has always been good to go for the last 2 years that I have owned it. I hope it was just low. The CTEK turned green after only two hours...

10 amps for one hour is plenty. Is this a trickle charger? It might be time to load test the battery, and check the charging system.

My charger is the CTEK 3300 maintainer/charger set on the AGM setting.

Back