05 wobble

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob702

Reaction score
Hi guys I have got a 05 max its only done 7000 miles my tyres are metzelers 110/90 and 170/80 the bike has a bad wobble at 110mph which gets worse the faster you go but if I have someone on the back the wobble disappears even at 135mph I have checked the head bearings and swingarm bearings and had both wheels re-balance can anyone think of something I could try :ummm:
Thanks Rob

You could try riding double ALL THE TIME. :confused2: :biglaugh:

Put her up on the center stand. Start the bike and put it into 1st gear and observe the run out of the back tire. If you don't see any run out there, jack up the front, or have your riding partner sit on the back and raise the front to check for tire run out on the front.

I'm thinking one or both may have a side to side imperfection.

Hi mate thanks for your reply had the tyres checked for imperfections and run outs when the wheels were checked and re-balanced
Thanks Rob

What state are your tires in? After I fixed my head bearings and fitted new Shinko tires my wobble went away, but it's been slowly creeping in again as the tires get worn.

Also, try relaxing your grip on the handlebars a bit, I found that the tighter you hold the worse the wobble gets.

Do you have a windshield fitted?

Get someone else to re-balance your tires. :ummm:

Hi the tyres have only done about 1500 miles and I had balanced at a different shop

075.jpg

031.jpg

Rob

Right there's your problem! Someone done went and rubbed all your white lettering off those tires.

Nice bike. :punk:

I can tell there's no easy solution for wobble. Mine's down to a strange feeling, like someone is lightly pushing on my bars, just a tiny bit, left then right. It's at such a slow rate the bike tracks straight, it's just enough to let me know that I don't have full control.

If I beat this, a long string of mechanical ills may be finally gone and I'll be able to just ride.

Dave

Bike looks great, tires look fine.

I think you should experiment with tire pressures and suspension settings.

I have a feeling your rear preload is set too high. That way 2-up it's fine, as the extra weight lowers the rear, but on your own it's prolly a bit too high, resulting in the conditions needed to set off the Max's high-speed wobble.

Bike looks great, tires look fine.

I think you should experiment with tire pressures and suspension settings.

I have a feeling your rear preload is set too high. That way 2-up it's fine, as the extra weight lowers the rear, but on your own it's prolly a bit too high, resulting in the conditions needed to set off the Max's high-speed wobble.

+1. Definately look at the shocks and springs. My front springs are weak resulting in serious nose dive and occasional wobble. I have 11K on the odometer.

Hope I'm not confusing everybody, I jumped in here as the second person in this thread with a wobble. Thought we might kill 2 problems at once.
And, Yes that's a beautiful bike that's pictured.

When I rode home from the Central Florida Tech Day Sunday, the front end felt different. I thought it was just because we'd adjusted the bearings. Didn't notice any side to side weave at all.

My wife and I took a ride Monday Night from St. Pete to Phillippe Park. That's where I first noticed that we were very slightly, very gently weaving. It seems to be more pronounced on some roads than others and seems to be between 25 and 50 mph. I moved all over the lanes trying to get it to stop so It wasn't grooves in the road. It felt like my wife was moving side to side just a fraction of an inch. She was up against my back. She wasn't moving, it was me making tiny corrections.

I went out alone, ran the bike on the interstate and it was fine. On the exit ramp it really felt like the bike was just slightly trying to stand up straight about every 10 feet, then it would be fine for 10 or so feet. The exit ramp was a 270 degree loop and my speed was 30-40 mph. All the way home I could feel myself making constant and very tiny steering corrections.

I'm running 32 lbs front and 36 rear. Guess I'll try the preload and recheck the bearings. The front forks are some Sean Morley did so there's 1 known good part.

Thanx for the suggestions.
Dave

Last edited:
you may want to loosen the bearings just a tiny bit. dingy makes a great tool (on the forum) you can use. cheap too.

i haven't felt that but others have said those are symptoms of the bearings being just a tiny bit too tight.

gamorg02: I'll give that a try first thing in the morning, Thanx.
It makes sense because we did tighten them up. Seemed like
they were pretty loose. I'll back it off a little and try it.

Dave

Hi guys thanks for your comments on my bike could anyone suggest some tyre pressures and rear shock settings to start with I weight 180 lb
Thanks Rob

003.jpg

Our local Guru here suggested 32-34 front and 38-40 in the rear. He said some of the wobble can be from running the rear tire lower.
Don't know if he's right but he's friends with and gets a lot of info from Boxenstopp in Daytona.

Dave

Last edited:
For the shocks, I'd start with the lowest preload setting - 1, and test ride it. If you find yourself bottoming out over bumps (unlikely) then go to 2.

When riding two-up, go to 3 or 4, unless your pillion is of the voluptuous kind in which case you may need 5.

On tire pressures, I'd start with what the service manual says - 32psi front and rear.

And when riding with pillion, go up to 36psi on the rear.

I tweaked the stearing head adjustment this morning. Put the bike on a stand to get the front end off the ground and level. It ended up with the adjusting nuts about 1/16 of a turn counter clockwise from where we set it Sunday. I have no wobble/wander with 1 or 2 hands on the bars. It will wander left and right when both hands off .:biglaugh: I tested this at very low speed 15-20 MPH, mid 30 to 50 and on the interstate 65-85. I didn't test no hands on the interstate.

I took the same basic ride as the other day with the long sweeping right turn off the interstate. Everything was fine. I didn't test the setting at extremely high speed. I used to get some wobble starting at 125-130. Don't have confidence yet to try that.

Dave

Does anyone know where you can get those great looking exhaust end caps on his super looking 05?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back