09 Vmax Purchasers read this!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell Buster I didn't have the money to buy one, but I made the decision that I would be willing to work for something that I've been waiting for for a long time. I am fine with anyone that can't afford to get one now. But 5 or ten years from now if you are a die hard Vmax Junkie you will probably own one in the future. I couldn't afford the 1st gen when it came out I waited until I could afford it used. I for one respect the old 1200 and one of my goals now is to restore a 85 after I get this one paid for. I had to sell the 85 to help pay for this one. There shouldn't be a division between 1st and second gen owners. I hope to ride with both in the future. But it seems like certian people are intent on making the new purchasers feel guilty for our purchase.
We all know it was a big price and that unless we keep it forever we will lose on resale. Anyway lets all get along and respect each others choices.

I'd like to see someone develop a good aluminum chassies for the 1st gen vmax engine. I've often wondered if one could be rettrofitted into a Buell firebolt frame engine weight is about the same.

I am fine with anyone that can't afford to get one now.

There shouldn't be a division between 1st and second gen owners. I hope to ride with both in the future. But it seems like certian people are intent on making the new purchasers feel guilty for our purchase.
We all know it was a big price and that unless we keep it forever we will lose on resale. Anyway lets all get along and respect each others choices.

I certainly hope that you don't think that I am hammering you for your purchase. In all actuality I can't wait to hear some real life feedback about how the bike performs on the street, although I have already heard of at least one individual having some problems with his which is disconcerting.

For myself the price is an issue, and not because I can't afford it, but instead it is justifying that kind of money on a bike that I couldn't even take a test ride on. Figure that there will be a ton of used ones on sale by the end of next year, and I will have some good feedback from the others that own one. Or better yet I could just order a 2010 if I want the cache of being the first owner of the bike. Of course if the right deal came along for a new 09 I might have to rethink my strategy:biglaugh:

You are bang on with us sticking together!! Every message board and forum I am a member of there seems to be some friction between Gen 1 and Gen 2 owners. It seems that folks really got their panties in a bunch for one reason or another.

A wise man once told me, "You can't judge a man's finances by the car he drives." Not too big a leap to apply it to bikes, too.

That's some golden wisdom right there, the wealthiest man I know drives a twenty year old Caddy with bad paint and more dimples than a golf ball.

Something I've noticed in this conversation that I'd like to comment on, some of the discussion of costs, both comparison and recovery are really skewed. We all love to tell other people how to spend their money, it's an american pastime, but here are some points to consider.

Money spent on a vehicle that is a daily or semi-daily driver, that will acquire hard miles and spend most of it's service life with you, is money spent. Sure it's nice if that vehicle holds a greater % of it's value than a comparable vehicle, (like a Harley) but this is a minor convenience at the bargaining table of the next similar vehicle. The vehicle is not an investment.

Likewise, money spent on upgrades and improvements to ANY vehicle, is simply money spent. You're not recovering it, you're spending it for your own satisfaction. It's a price you would pay for own time and pleasure just as with any other hobby, from golf to fishing, it's money spent. It's only value is the pleasure you derive from it.

By contrast if you buy a Tucker, drive it four times a year, rent it out to dealerships for events, and keep it pristine for twenty years, that's an investment. Your satisfaction is derived solely from the ownership, not the detrimental use of, the item.

Personal example, I collect guns. I shoot them, I enjoy them, I tinker with them and marvel at their design, they are purchases. I have a 1943 Union Switch .45 with 9th infantry provenance. I've never fired it, it sits in a glass case and I enjoy the fact that I own it, but I don't DO anything with it, and someday I expect a handsome chunk of change from it. It's an investment.

So.... when we're talking about Vmaxxes, actually all motorcycles, or shoes and ships and sealing wax for that matter, it's a bit disingenuous to cry that one is a "scam" over the other, or that a purchaser is foolish, stupid, or reckless to spend money for performance that could be matched elsewhere for less coin. The money is spent on an item whose value is wholly in the mind of the buyer, and the enjoyment he derives from it's use. I don't see spending 30k on a Road King, but I'm hardly going to tell someone who did that they're an idiot. "pleasure vehicles" like bikes and watercraft are completely discretionary purchases, and I have to agree that most of what I've heard regarding the pricing of the new Max and it's inevitable family of aftermarket toys, sounds like a lot of sour grapes.

I wanted an 09 Max very badly, and signed up for one, but backed out because I realized that the price did not match up with the satisfaction of ownership that I would experience, that's for me. By the same token, many of my shooting buddies would never spend the money I have on certain items, because for them, any Glock will do. In the end, it's simply another case of "to each his own". Ultimately, I think it's foolish, perhaps childish, and even detrimental for a fraternity like ours to become divisive over the haves and have nots of discretionary income.

Right, so thats my 88 cents, I'm going for coffee.

Very well said, Noxx - couldn't agree any more with you.

The short version - "to each his own"

Mike

Last edited:
Can't wait to get my new Max, money well spent!

Unless U have spent fat $$$$ Jack on a psychotic junkie vicodin addict ex-wife, you people have NO IDEA what a waste of money is..
:bang head:
18g for the MAX is INDEED money well spent!

The notorious thread killer strikes again! It was for a good cause anyway. The Gen 1 & Gen 2 whiny bitch session was getting to be too much...As for the pics, "Format C:" too k care of that. Sorry...

While I disagree with the stupid money = stupid people thing, you are correct where John should not have singled out 09 purchasers as doing a disservice to other Vmaxxers. I could infer several things from that statement, but it would be pure supposition on my part.

As for overpricing, it more has to do with a cost/return analysis. What do I get for my $$$. There is nothing revolutionary with the 09, some evolutionary things, and a lot of off the shelf technology (read: R1 tech). I agree that it is difficult to compare it to a Busa, ZX14, etc. due to being a different style of bike. The point is you can get 2 high performance bikes of different types for the cost of 1 09 Max.

You are correct that it takes $$$ to bring a Gen 1 up to the standard of the Gen 2, but it can be done for $18k counting purchase of a 90's vintage. My take is that I have upgraded my Gen 1 to do what I want and to have a Max that is unlike the one next door so to speak. I would bet that 90% of those who, like myself, have put a lot of time, money, and effort into our bikes have no intent to sell regardless of price. You don't modify your bike to sell because, as you said, you would lose your arse cost wise.

With the limited production run and the economy I wouldn't hang my hat on a lot of aftermarket accessories being offered, and those that are will be pricey. With 4 ECU's, fly by wire throttle, et. al. any mods for performance will cost a bundle, no matter who makes them. Bodywork will be out there, but even Gen 1 bodywork is spendy, and there are a hell of a lot more of them out there.

Of course all of this is just my opinion, no more, no less. I look forward to getting a chance to take a ride on my friends 09 just to see how it does.

Jim
You guys know I had an all out 1500 1st gen Max . After all the money spent on it . ( It did ride and handle well ) But that came at a great cost.
Compaired to the new max the old max still felt like a wet noodle to the 09 max . I only put 275 miles on so far but I must say it is the best bike I have ridden yet . It handles well . Feels like an old Caddy handle like a Porsche.

Best 18k I ever spent .

Just my 2 cents

Jim
You guys know I had an all out 1500 1st gen Max . After all the money spent on it . ( It did ride and handle well ) But that came at a great cost.
Compaired to the new max the old max still felt like a wet noodle to the 09 max . I only put 275 miles on so far but I must say it is the best bike I have ridden yet . It handles well . Feels like an old Caddy handle like a Porsche.

Best 18k I ever spent .

Just my 2 cents

We know you and I can't believe you haven't listed the mods you've done to the bike yet. After all you must have had it for at least 2 weeks! :biglaugh::eusa_dance:

Jim

Best 18k I ever spent .

Just my 2 cents

Yep, I know your bike Chuck. And I know how much you put into it for sure. Glad to hear that you love the new Max. Can't wait to try one out myself. All I was saying is that at this time I cannot justify the expense, that may change in the future, but for now I will stick with my all out Gen 1:biglaugh:

Yep, I know your bike Chuck. And I know how much you put into it for sure. Glad to hear that you love the new Max. Can't wait to try one out myself. All I was saying is that at this time I cannot justify the expense, that may change in the future, but for now I will stick with my all out Gen 1:biglaugh:

DON`T ride one you will want one then .
See for your self .

Chuck

DON`T ride one you will want one then .
See for your self .

Chuck
I would be afraid to ride a '09 for that very reason! I can only afford to mod one bike at a time, and Redbone is far from the image I have for this sweet 'ol '92!
As for the gen2 I really like the lowered look but would want a little different look for the rear fender. I am also looking forward to the exhaust designs that will surely be offered in the coming months and years. It will be a few years before I can afford to lay down the cash on a gen2, but I will have one! :punk:

Back