100 mpg

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max_caper

Reaction score
Why is it that we do not already have mainstream vehicles that get 100 MPG? I think this technology currently exists. I am not talking about speciality hybrid or electric vehicles.

Every year the major auto manufacturers edge up fuel economy a few percent but no one seems able (or willing) to produce/sell a mainstream, inexpensive vehicle that totally trumps the competition in terms of fuel efficiency. The conspiracy theorist in me would have me believe that the oil producers are in league with car manufacturers to provide face-service to the green movement by providing more efficient vehicles but not so much so that oil demand would drop and prices fall considerably. It isn't as far-fetched as the "magic bullet" theory!

Blaine

The "100mpg car" has been around for decades. It's called a Honda Cub, and it's the world's highest selling motor vehicle. Honda also built a 125cc small motorcycle with PGM-FI, all the latest tech and heard it was pulling over 200mpg. But American's don't want a tiny imported fuel sipper that maxes out at 60mph, they want big, loud, and chrome slathered hogly fergusons. Not to mention the Honda Clarity, which is a completely practical hydrogen vehicle.

The VW 3 cylinder diesel for the Euro market got high 80's in the MPG on a Top Gear test. Granted its a very small car and it's very very slow, but for cheap transport that keeps you dry in the rain it's tough to beat.

Americans don't see cars like that mostly due to emissions requirements that say that 80mpg car is less "green" than a 15mpg SUV, so long as the SUV has 14 catalysts in the exhaust, turns the engine off at stoplights, and blinks an idiot light at you if you are hitting the gas too hard.

Makes sense, right?

The Datsun B210 with it's 4 banger and a 5 speed claimed 50mpg in their magazine ad in 1978, and carburated to boot........................It has been almost 34 years since then....................:ummm:...........................Tom.

The Datsun B210 with it's 4 banger and a 5 speed claimed 50mpg in their magazine ad in 1978, and carburated to boot........................It has been almost 34 years since then....................:ummm:...........................Tom.

Every year the major auto manufacturers edge up fuel economy a few percent Blaine

Back in 1978, my Datsum B210 would get, at most, 40~41mpg. That means we should be buying cars today that make, what, over 100 mpg? Instead, the mileage gets worse with the addition of corn squeezins. :bang head:

ps. Datsun B210's had 4-speed trannies. They must have saved the overdrives for the more expensive models (I think). :ummm:

I believe the tech was here long ago for 100 mpg. Prolly never see it in my life time. It's obvoious who is in charge, and who always was.
Steve

100mpg....ha!!!! While there is still oil in the earth we will continue to rape the planet. When it's gone we will all engage in an apocalyptic type war.

Americans wont buy a little rattle trap car with no sound deadening, no a/c, manual windows, etc. Not to mention all the air bags, ABS, traction control, EBD, roll over avoidance and all other safety crap adding tons of weight on new cars. It could be done though. I imagine it would be fairly easy to achieve in an uber light one or two passenger car powered by a small diesel engine.

My brother owned a 1978 Datsun F10. 1.4 litre, 4-speed standard that got 35 miles to the gallon. You'd think that in the last 30+ years we'd have doubled that number, especially in compact cars.

Blaine

There's only ONE reason 100+mpg isn't mainstream:
too much profit tied up in petrol...

+1 to profit. The middle class and poor always do the suffering. I saw a demo 25 or so years back where they were heating gas to a dangerous temp, but getting close to 100 mpg in a light car. You'd think the tech would be there by now to build it safe? It's just my opinion that there is a ton of oil in the ground and running out is a joke to oil companies, unlike profits. Gas should be reserved for 2 wheeled oops (Dan-o) and three wheeled vehicles, and off road stuff. Stabilizer added and decent octane available. For the the rest, alternatives exist like has been said. Alternative fuel would be taken serious if there were a real shortage. IMHO
Steve

Back