17" wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thundercat wheel will fit after shaving the fork leg on the side of the speedo reader. They were explaining it. I still have a diagram with all the measuring.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hi all:

Okay...I ordered the appropriate 1994 Thundercat front wheel.

Now, aside from shaving the fork leg, do the stock Max brake discs, stock brake calipers, and stock axle from the Max remain, or is a suitable replacement of those needed as well?

Thanks.

Elimax

I'm not 100% sure so I'll keep quiet.
If you don't get the answer here you might want to check vmaxchat.co.uk since the mod is pretty common in EU.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

i can get a converted 17" xj900 wheel that will fit my vmax for quite cheap and a front thunderrace 17" wheel that will fit the vmax would this be a good idea ?

or should i stay stock ront wheel and go 18" rear wheel?

What is "quite cheap" Been looking for a "quite cheap" 17" rear wheel for my max. Availability ?

We've got a customer that might be selling his Max Daddy (though it's an 18" I think). It won't be "cheap" but none really are and used wheels don't come up that often. My opinion of cheap for a used aftermarket wheel is $500 or less. Most aftermarkets in good condition will bring a lot more then that.

i put an 18" on the reaer, 180/55/18, same as one version of vrod. there are several good tyres you can get in this size. i put a 110/80/18 bt30 on the stock front, had to lower the mudquard by 10mm to make it look ok. speedo is out by 10kph.
the bike handles really well.
i like the look of the 18" but would like the front rim to be wider, as you can get a 120/70/18, but more spacing required and more speedo out issue.
a chap over here converted his bike to wire wheel, looks great.

auction-628603697.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/cruiser/auction-628603697.htm

Does the fluted one fit close enough on a 17 to look normal? It looks like a stock wheel/tire in the pic from exactrep.

To me it looks like 18" and there still will be a gap if you put 17" on. Just by looks and description they give

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

To me it looks like 18" and there still will be a gap if you put 17" on. Just by looks and description they give

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

That's what I was thinking. I feel like I want the look of the fluted one over the angular one.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

I believe there are some pretty decent "Sport Touring" radial offerings in 18" both front and rear, but the rear will be limited to like a 160 or so.

For wider tires in the 190-200 range in back I believe its gonna be mostly the "Power Cruiser" type tires. I've been running 200/55-18 Avon Cobras/Venoms and am very happy with them.

I agree with Sean ,17's look funny on a Vmax, you can correct it in the front but out back the 17 just looks too small. It gives it that huge rear tire/fender gap visual that I do not like on the Gen II

I ran a 200/50-18 versus a 55 in back first time I went wide and even it looked kinda short to me...

Purely an opinion though.

My end goal as far as tires and wheels go is YZF wheels front and back (after the chain drive conversion) running 12/70 and 190/55 W rated Pirellis. That size rear is REALLY close to stock, (as in tire height) and should keep the space filled appropriately. The front will be significantly smaller, so I will have speedo issues, unless I swap to a totally programmable setup. As for a front fender, I was looking at a 98 YZF yesterday, and I love how the fender looks. It should not be too difficult to make up mounts for it for the Max I imagine. Then, to make it seem like there is nothing missing, a nice billet fork brace would look good where the stock fender mounted.

Back