17" wheels

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulVmax

Reaction score
i can get a converted 17" xj900 wheel that will fit my vmax for quite cheap and a front thunderrace 17" wheel that will fit the vmax would this be a good idea ?

or should i stay stock ront wheel and go 18" rear wheel?

If they fit vmax forsure go with the 17" so much more options on radial tires! Big handling improvement

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

i'd look at what tires you want to run then make your decision.

decent options for 18" up front, maybe not as much for the rear. all depends on rim width too.

Yep, many ways to go. The 17's are easier to find tires. BUT, they look a little "funny" in there to me. Not enough meat to fill up the fenders. Most use a fender spacer on the front which looks almost as bad (though better). I am sure that the 17's you find won't be nearly as strong or as light as the 18" carr's we sell. BUT, they will likely be cheaper.

The 18's fill up the bike like it's supposed to and there are a few tire options out there.

Sean

Yep, many ways to go. The 17's are easier to find tires. BUT, they look a little "funny" in there to me. Not enough meat to fill up the fenders. Most use a fender spacer on the front which looks almost as bad (though better). I am sure that the 17's you find won't be nearly as strong or as light as the 18" carr's we sell. BUT, they will likely be cheaper.

The 18's fill up the bike like it's supposed to and there are a few tire options out there.

Sean

That's why you go with exactrep 17" fender looks killer. :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The 18" wheel will be closer to stock "gearing," (given the rolling-distance-circumference/tire height) over the 17" wheel/tire, and will allow you a bit more-top-end. The 17" should be a slightly-"lower" gearing, for the same reason, but in the opposite direction.

If it's just a matter of $$, go w/what you can afford. Unless you are drag racing, or running top-end, you aren't likely to have it as much of a factor.

i can get a converted 17" xj900 wheel that will fit my vmax for quite cheap and a front thunderrace 17" wheel that will fit the vmax would this be a good idea ?

or should i stay stock ront wheel and go 18" rear wheel?

The goal is " Radials " 17s= Cheaper with more tire choices , a little quicker acceleration . 18s = More expensive , looks a bit better on the bike , not as many choices in the rubber dept . , but the market seems to be growing ; Continental has entered the race lately.

Yep like Rusty said even with the 18 radial. I love my exatrep fender.

I wish I had have gone with something more exotic looking for the front fender than the Fatmax I have before spending money on paint.
Its a nice piece but the more aggressive looking ones I've seen since would have fit the bike better.

Hi all:

I know PaulVmax is in England, so what can I buy here in the U.S. that's a front 17" wheel that would fit to some 1989 (older-style, that is) forks.

The cheaper the better...in this case, I wouldn't want use Exactrep...I'm using my older VMax forks on my '86 FZX700 Fazer, and the 18" wheel has negatively affected the handling, and I don't own the stock Fazer forks any more.

Thanks!

Elimax

Hi Paul:

Thanks for the answer.

Would any year of the Thundercat front wheel be okay? Wikipedia says that the Thundercat (known as the YZF600R here in the U.S.) was made from 1994 to 2007. Or did you mean the "Thunderrace", which you said you used for the front wheel in the original post you made?

Thanks very much.

Elimax

Last edited:
Back