1985 great condition, have question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

migs9999

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1985 Vmax, so far I've had to replace battery, brakes in rear were cutting into rotor so I fixed brakes but will have to replace rear rotor, and changed oil. It has 25000 actual miles on in and cosmetically is near perfect. It also runs extremely well. I paid $2800 for it, and the local Yamaha dealership owner remembered driving his dad's 85 Vmax and couldn't stop talking about it. He said that this was a very good year in terms of power and electrical system. Does it sound like a good deal in terms of price? And what makes that year any different? Just curious.

I recently purchased a 1985 Vmax, so far I've had to replace battery, brakes in rear were cutting into rotor so I fixed brakes but will have to replace rear rotor, and changed oil. It has 25000 actual miles on in and cosmetically is near perfect. It also runs extremely well. I paid $2800 for it, and the local Yamaha dealership owner remembered driving his dad's 85 Vmax and couldn't stop talking about it. He said that this was a very good year in terms of power and electrical system. Does it sound like a good deal in terms of price? And what makes that year any different? Just curious.

I'll sell you a rear rotor for half the price of new! It has 1200 miles on it and looks like new... :thumbs up: Just thought I would offer as it's collecting dust in my basement and it is too good to waste. I probably have the pads as well which I could throw in at no charge...

The only major changes were bigger forks,better front brakes and a digital ignition.$2800 was a good deal!

I'll sell you a rear rotor for half the price of new! It has 1200 miles on it and looks like new... :thumbs up: Just thought I would offer as it's collecting dust in my basement and it is too good to waste. I probably have the pads as well which I could throw in at no charge...

What's half price of new?

I might be interested if migs declines.

TIA....................Neal

I could be wrong, but isn't the "85's have more HP" just part of the Legend?

they do have crappy brakes and the elect is weaker than the later models.

2800.00 is a good deal

Much appreciated--I'll buy it! I sent a PM.
Migs

I could be wrong, but isn't the "85's have more HP" just part of the Legend?

they do have crappy brakes and the elect is weaker than the later models.

2800.00 is a good deal

I don't have another one to compare it to--the Yamaha dealer told me it had to do with restrictors and the absence of anti-pollution controls (whatever they are):ummm:
Migs

I don't have another one to compare it to--the Yamaha dealer told me it had to do with restrictors and the absence of anti-pollution controls (whatever they are):ummm:
Migs

Nah... The exhaust wasn't DOT legal for '85. In '86 it was but they grew the size of the Vboost manifolds a couple millimeters to compensate!

The '85 DID have a 2nd gear issue though.

The only major changes were bigger forks,better front brakes and a digital ignition.$2800 was a good deal!

I rode a '99 at a Harley dealership a month before which wasn't nearly in the same condition cosmetically (and I believe mechanically). Granted, it was a newer year, but they were asking much more for it (and it had about twice the mileage). A dealership is naturally going to charge more anyway, however if the same price was being charged for both Vmax, I still would have chosen the '85.
Migs

Nah... The exhaust wasn't DOT legal for '85. In '86 it was but they grew the size of the Vboost manifolds a couple millimeters to compensate!

I haven't experienced a problem with the gear issue--yet. Any easy way to avoid it, or will it require some mechanical work if/when it happens?
Migs

Most of them were also recalled and repaired by yamaha.

I haven't experienced a problem with the gear issue--yet. Any easy way to avoid it, or will it require some mechanical work if/when it happens?
Migs

The second gear issue manifests itself under hard trottle - at first, it's feels like a clutch slip, but only happens in second gear. As the problem progresses, you'll feel it jump out of gear and as you let off the trottle will pop back in gear - in the late stages of problem, when it jumps out of gear, you will feel mechanical banging in the gears.

Only way to avoid it, is to ride it easy, avoid hard accelerations, ya right!!! The only way to fix is to take engine out, split cases and replace worn/broken parts.

Best way to test, when in second gear, accelerate full throttle up to redline to see if it slips or worst - hopefully it's ok or has already been upgraded.

Mike

Back cutting the engagement dogs is the best answer.Simply replacing the worn gears with new with just let it happen again later.

Back cut trannies are designed to shift under heavy loads. DRAG RACING! All drag bikes have back cut trannys.

Seems like a better solution than riding your bike like a moped so the tranny will last!

Back cutting the engagement dogs is the best answer.Simply replacing the worn gears with new with just let it happen again later.

Back cut trannies are designed to shift under heavy loads. DRAG RACING! All drag bikes have back cut trannys.

Seems like a better solution than riding your bike like a moped so the tranny will last!

Does backcutting effect downshifting?

I'm a big fan of the twisties and wouldn't want to lose the ability to effectively downshift.

Rusty

Does backcutting effect downshifting?

I'm a big fan of the twisties and wouldn't want to lose the ability to effectively downshift.

Rusty

Rusty,I ride my vmax like it is a 250 motocrosser.I like to shift up and down all the time.Mine shifts down fine.I also like to blip the throttle right before down shifting.Mostly because I think it sounds cool.It does unload the tranny though.

Rusty,I ride my vmax like it is a 250 motocrosser.I like to shift up and down all the time.Mine shifts down fine.I also like to blip the throttle right before down shifting.Mostly because I think it sounds cool.It does unload the tranny though.

I do that too for the same reason Shawn..... cant help it! sounds cool....lol!

What is backcutting?

I bought an 85 last summer for 3000 and it had more miles than yours. I have a mechanic that lives in my town (Volga, SD) that used to wrench for Black Hills Harley and Yamaha. He is also an Vmax fan and is looking for a 86. He has one of every street 86 Yamaha in his garage except the Vmax. He says the 85 is the old Vmax to buy. It did have more power (claimed 145hp at the motor) than the later years. He feels the tuning is different. He keeps trying to buy my 85 from me too.

No way!

Nels Ferrin

:rocket bike:

Same horsepower for all years.....145 at the crank. '85 had better exhaust but Yami compensated for the more restrictive exhaust in '86 by increasing the size of vboost intake. The '85 haveing more horsies is just a myth.

Mark

Latest posts

Back