1992 side covers - clearcoated?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bottom half is for sure painted. Don't remember if the top half has a coating on it.

Sean

I was going to polish the side covers on my 2000 to match the scoops (I'm a sucker for punishment) so I stripped them and lo and behold, there was no coating on the aluminum part. BTW, I have the half black paint, half bare aluminum covers.

It dawned on me that the covers were anodized, not clearcoated. For me, that meant I would have had to sand the heck out of them to remove the surface aluminum be able to polish them. The covers are thin enough without removing more metal so I had them painted.

I was going to polish the side covers on my 2000 to match the scoops (I'm a sucker for punishment) so I stripped them and lo and behold, there was no coating on the aluminum part. BTW, I have the half black paint, half bare aluminum covers.

It dawned on me that the covers were anodized, not clearcoated. For me, that meant I would have had to sand the heck out of them to remove the surface aluminum be able to polish them. The covers are thin enough without removing more metal so I had them painted.

HERE'S THE TIP: The easiest way to remove anodizing from aluminium is with a dilute solution of Caustic Soda. You can buy the caustic soda from the local hardware store.

Just mix up about one tablespoon of caustic to half a litre of water them brush on the anodized part. (Practice on some old andized part you don't need until you feel confident with the process).

The anodised layer (which is only a few thousands of a millimetre thick, (but very hard) will turn dark grey to black but the aluminium will not be affected.

Now polish it with a rag buff using a hand drill or a bench grinder with a rag buff attachment. Use the white polishing soap.

Minimal lose of metal, very quick and beautiful results.

HERE'S THE TIP: The easiest way to remove anodizing from aluminium is with a dilute solution of Caustic Soda. You can buy the caustic soda from the local hardware store.

Just mix up about one tablespoon of caustic to half a litre of water them brush on the anodized part. (Practice on some old andized part you don't need until you feel confident with the process).

The anodised layer (which is only a few thousands of a millimetre thick, (but very hard) will turn dark grey to black but the aluminium will not be affected.

Now polish it with a rag buff using a hand drill or a bench grinder with a rag buff attachment. Use the white polishing soap.

Now you tell me!

Wait a minute, I just noticed the practice part. What's the worst that could happen if you screw up taking off the anodized aluminum?

Would this work on the clear coated valve cover and scoops too?

Wait a minute, I just noticed the practice part. What's the worst that could happen if you screw up taking off the anodized aluminum?

You can't really screw anything up. The practice was more to see for yourself that it is easily done and to allow you to try different dilutions of the caustic solution.

I removed the anodizing from an OTEC Billet Swingarm that the anodizers screwed up. Came off easily. The anodizing literally rubbed off with finger pressure (wear gloves). Used a plastic bristle brush for clean-up after applying the caustic solution and then polished it. It looked way better than when it was new.

HERE IS ANOTHER TIP: If you want to selectively remove anodizing from some areas and not others use masking tap to mask up the areas you want to keep. This can also allow you to pattern an anodized piece.

Would this work on the clear coated valve cover and scoops too?

No it wouldn't. Clear coat is a different thing altogether.

I use Ferropro Muckoff Graffiti Remover to get clear coat off those parts. It's a thin oily substance. Spray or brush on and let it soak in until the clear coat goes wrinkled. It will then wash off in cold water.

The active ingredient in the Ferropro product is M-Methyl-2-Pyrrolidone. The Product is made by Selleys and is available in hardware stores.

Last edited:
I tried to use paint stripper thinking that it was clear coat. Since that didn't work I have another question since I just want to paint it; can I just paint over the anodized top part of the side covers?
I just want the upper half of the side cover to be painted I may paint the lower half but I want to see how this turns out first.

I tried to use paint stripper thinking that it was clear coat. Since that didn't work I have another question since I just want to paint it; can I just paint over the anodized top part of the side covers?
I just want the upper half of the side cover to be painted I may paint the lower half but I want to see how this turns out first.

You should be able to apply most engine paints directly over an anodized surface.

HERE'S A TIP: Make sure the bare anodized metal is very clean. Silicon residue is a bastard to get off and will cause the paint to blemish with orange peel textures.

HERE'S ANOTHER TIP: Make sure you warm the metal before you paint. About 65-70C is good. It will stop the paint from running so much. Use then coats and re-coat when nearly touch dry.

I've removed clear coat many times with paint stripper, just make sure you buy the good shit and not the "green" "no bad fumes" products; thay ain't worth a damn.

My company makes NMP as a by-product, we ship it out of here by the railcar, it's some bad ass shit for sure....

All you need for painting is normal prep - scuff, prime and paint.

Sean

Gleno

Thanks now I know the easy! Why is it I alwasy seem to find the hard way of doing things!:bang head:

Back