1998 vmax smoking on start up

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genecarroll

Reaction score
I just bought a 98 with 14,000 miles ran a little rough assumed just carbs. I have cleaned and bike runs great but is now smoking upon start up maybe 3 secs then clears until I start it again. Im thinking valve seals but looking for opinions.

What's the temperature like. I don't think a little smoke a startup is necessarily something to be too worried about. I think most of our bikes blow a little especially on the first start of the day. I don't know if 3 seconds is enough time for things to expand and seal themselves up. I'm not the most knowledgeable in top end stuff, though. Someone else will be along soon to answer with more confidence.

How thick is the smoke? color? smell?

It smokes on every start. I think its oil burning darker color. had some oil in carbs when I cleaned them but air box was dry

Where's your oil level? Most don't run it much past half way up the sight glass when the bike is level. This could be pumping just a bit up the vent tube every ride.

A lot of fuel additives added to the fuel will make it smoke as if it's burning oil......

Just a little above half way on sight glass. The bike does have a very strong gas smell when running everything is completely stock. With a small hiccup at about 1400 rpm

Are valve seals common or a rarity on these bikes? Not sure if the bike ever sat for a long period of time with the miles on it. Any idea on cost of replacement?

My '01 with 5k miles doesn't smoke, and it sat perfectly still for 5 years without being started...

16 valves. Seal approx $4 each. Valve cover gasket approx $30 each. Plus shipping, tax or whatever. You probably want to adjust the valves while your at it. Sean morley can get you the parts reasonably and loan you a shim kit.

Yes it can. But you'll need a special tool to compress the springs. See the PCW web site's spring replacement article.
The tool doesn't look to hard to make.

Are valve seals common or a rarity on these bikes?

I would say no, they are extremely rare - I don't recall ever reading about valve stem seal issues on sites I have been visiting for ten years or more.

Additionally if you did have valve stem oil seal issue I would expect you (or rather someone following) to see smoke on the over-run.

Keep an eye on your oil level and establish how much you are using.
If it is not excessive then I wouldn't worry about it.

If you want to do it while the engine is in the frame it can be done. I have done it on a royal star. This is a link to the tools you will need to make. Its not hard to make them and its the only way to get the springs out when the engine is in the frame. The springs are sunk into the heads and any other valve spring compressor will not work. You will need a good air compressor to keep the valve up and make sure each cylinder you work on the piston is on TDC. If you bump a valve when doing the spring you could open it slightly and down it goes into the cylinder. With the piston locked on TDC you can just pull it back up to seal again. If the piston is down and the valve looses seal its in the cylinder and you will have to pull the head and that means pulling the engine.

the tool was designed by someone over on the royal star venture sites several years back to do the cam swap from a venture to the royal star standard.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=11307&highlight=valve+spring+tool&page=2

2006 with 53600 miles... no smoke.... Oil in the carbs??? is that normal???

I would seriously not think valve seals have gone in 14,000 miles.

I'm guessing fuel additive as others have said. Run a few tanks through before making any decisions.

Not something I would fix either way. I've seen a high mileage Vmax (over 130,000, Joe Mueller of Dallas, smoke like a coal burning freight train and never miss a kick)

A little on startup isn't all that unusual either. My brand new engine does it every time. I don't know if its "looser" than stock though......

well I ran a tank of fuel with seafoam and only got 64 miles before reserve I checked the plugs both front cylinders seem good both rear seem rich not black but dark and seemed wet with gas. I cleaned the carbs but not a total dissasembly i didnt have jet block gaskets so I left I blew out all passages and checked float level. Bike runs fairly well. still have a pop through the air box occasionaly at about 1400rpm then runs great. also added a little seafoam to the crankcase

I believe the valve guide seals are about 4$ each, sixteen needed. Since you just got the bike and don't know how long it sat and so forth, I would do a valve adjustment, and new replacement of every valve cover bolt seal and all gaskets while you have it that far down.

Check your spark plug gap while you're at it... I know about the Super low mileage. Seafoam will clean stuff out of the WHOLE fuel system, which means the stuff it cleans out is headed for the carbs. I wouldn't be surprised if your emulsion tubes were all clogged up again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Joe from Dallas 130,000 miles? Damn... Looks like I got a bit of catchin' up to do! Mine does not smoke at 127,000 for what it's worth..

Back