2 races, honda fury,883 sporty

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripinanroarin

Reaction score
I couldnt stand sitting around anymore.So i wraped my injured knee up and went for a short blast. I'm in between bikes right now, and am riding a 96 yamaha virago 535cc I took as partial trade.
So I'm sitting at the bridge leading out of town "red light"..and a new Honda fury and a new 883 sporty pull up next to me. My heart started pumping..MUST RACE" I hoped. The pain in my leg was no longer an issue.....my hands shaking....held a steady rev of 3500..light changed...I pinned it!! I got bothe out of the hole "close ratio gear box"..I speed shifted through all the gears..I needed every bit I could get!! The specs say the bike will rev 7500rpm...it was there LOL
Doing 140k and there right on my ass hard!! Doing 162k.."top end" and the sporty cant pass me :rofl_200: lol.
THIS IS SO MUCH FRIGGEN FUN!! The honda puts 1 bike lenghth on me and stays there ..WTF. That speaks VOLUMES for Yamaha!! I'm laughing out load at this point, and I dont give up!! finally they give up, and I keep it pinned for another mile or so, till they are dots in my mirrors LOL I cant believe what just happened!! So I did some research....heres what I found- 1996 yamaha virago 535cc...1/4 mile 14.2 top end 100mph weight 398 lbs 44hp@ 7500rpm.
--2009 883 harley sportster- 565lbs 48hp@ 4500rpm
1/4 mile 14.4 top end speed 98mph.
--2010 honda fury.. 1312cc ....663lbs 59hp and a speed limiter set at 99mph. 1/4 mile 13.8
It wouldnt of even been a race if I was still on MAX!! I am so proud of that little virago..its got heart and earned my respect. Did you know that the 535 is only 2mph slower than the 750. Oh well..hope you enjoyed....I sure did.:biglaugh:
OH, heres a pic of the winner..

Attachments

• VIRAGO 535 001.jpg
    VIRAGO 535 001.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 68
haha thats awesome! u need some of kenny's kill stickers.

A Sportster is the biggest joke in the motorcycle world. I have zero doubt my 10hp minibike would beat it up to 50mph. Overpriced underpowered garbage.

I had heard (dunno if it's true) that the Fury had that speed limiter put on due to the bike's dimensions....the raked out front end isn't stable at speed, or at least Honda doesn't trust it to go any faster. I'm sure it can...a Honda 1100 Shadow will do around 115-120, I can't imagine the 1300 is slower. Plus the Fury's riding posture is similar to you being a sail....probably couldn't hang on much past 100 anyway. At least on the Max you can crouch down.

The 500cc Magna I used to have would hand a 1200 Sportster it's ass. Beat it off the line and would steadily pull away. It was rated for 65hp at 11,500 RPM.

A Sportster is the biggest joke in the motorcycle world. I have zero doubt my 10hp minibike would beat it up to 50mph. Overpriced underpowered garbage.

I had heard (dunno if it's true) that the Fury had that speed limiter put on due to the bike's dimensions....the raked out front end isn't stable at speed, or at least Honda doesn't trust it to go any faster. I'm sure it can...a Honda 1100 Shadow will do around 115-120, I can't imagine the 1300 is slower. Plus the Fury's riding posture is similar to you being a sail....probably couldn't hang on much past 100 anyway. At least on the Max you can crouch down.

The 500cc Magna I used to have would hand a 1200 Sportster it's ass. Beat it off the line and would steadily pull away. It was rated for 65hp at 11,500 RPM.
65hp @11500 is down right impressive. I didnt know the 500 magna was that fast.
What is happening with big bikes? I am reading the october issue of CycleWorld and they are comparing the kawasaki vulcan900 classic and the Yamaha V Star 950.
Heres the numbers....yamaha--591lbs 1/4 mile 14.3sec. 47hp at 4750rpm and a top speed 104mph
kawasaki--592lbs 1/4 mile 14.6 44hp at 5600 and top speed 101mph.
Well it seems the new cruisers dont really hit passed 100mph. Thats down right funny that a little 535 can whip a 900 kawy and a 950 Star. Remmember how lethal the old bikes were....the 500 kawy widow maker, the 650 seca..on and on. These new bikes are a joke.:biglaugh:

I love it!:biglaugh: it dont get much better then that!:punk::rofl_200::clapping:

I had a 1982 Kawasaki 1000 always wanted to do more with that bike but it would eat a lot of bikes for breakfast.:biglaugh:
Had it bored and a 4 into 1 exhaust thing was crazy fast would always play with the sprockets to get a different ratio.
Thought of getting another to make a street fighter that would be fun:punk:

I had an 83 Kaw KZ 440 - used to be able to pull the 1200 sportster up until about 65, then they'd pull away. fun fun and nice Yamaha publicity, dude :clapping:

The Honda VF series were awesome motors. The original Gen 1's came in 3 flavors, a V65(1100), a V45(750), and the V30(500). The V30 is better known as the "Baby Interceptor" where it was first seen, but for the '84 and '85 model years Honda also put the smallest motor in the Magna's standard frame(which previously only held the V45 or V65). It didn't sell well, everybody wanted the bigger 45 or 65 motors, and it was dropped after two model years. It was by far the fastest 500 out there, and while the bigger two redlined at I believe 9000, the little one redlined at 11,500, but it kept pulling past the end of the tach scale at 12. It was good for about 115-120 on flat ground, given enough room. Loads of torque down low though...I could easily putt around in 5th or 6th at like 30mph. Riding easy, it would return 50-55mpg also.

Is this the smallest red zone you've ever seen?

Attachments

• IMG_0188r.jpg
    IMG_0188r.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 26
The Honda VF series were awesome motors. The original Gen 1's came in 3 flavors, a V65(1100), a V45(750), and the V30(500). The V30 is better known as the "Baby Interceptor" where it was first seen, but for the '84 and '85 model years Honda also put the smallest motor in the Magna's standard frame(which previously only held the V45 or V65). It didn't sell well, everybody wanted the bigger 45 or 65 motors, and it was dropped after two model years. It was by far the fastest 500 out there, and while the bigger two redlined at I believe 9000, the little one redlined at 11,500, but it kept pulling past the end of the tach scale at 12. It was good for about 115-120 on flat ground, given enough room. Loads of torque down low though...I could easily putt around in 5th or 6th at like 30mph. Riding easy, it would return 50-55mpg also.

Is this the smallest red zone you've ever seen?
Holy smokes, I think that red zone is like only 1000rpm. Thats good for a laugh.What a screamer! I will have to keep an eye open in the used bike section for on of these. Sounds like way to much fun, blowing by the Harleys..meep. meep LOL

where have all the good bikes gone? :(. some day people will snap out of it and want nice bikes again.

honda needs to bring their magna back, they alrdy have a new v4 for this year in the interceptor :( 1200cc even! i bet itll go 150 mph

and if they do bring it back they better not tune it like an inline 4 like all the old ones.. or a vtwin.. just tune it like a v4, good torque, good rpmz

I had put my V30 on the "for sale" section here a while ago. No bites, sold it on craigslist this spring for $1250.

That top speed seems about right. I got mine to indicate 125, but on mine the speedo was very "optimistic", on the highway it was 6 or 7mph fast (80 indicated was actually around 73), so at "125" I guess it was actually about 115. Top speed was in 5th gear....if you shifted to 6th it would start to slow down. 125 indicated was 12,000 RPM in fifth. I'd heard reports of the V65's hitting about 140, and they had the same issues as the Max...frame flex, speed wobble, and crappy stock brakes.

It was a nice bike though, and as fast as it was for a 500, it still wasn't speedy enough for me...why I have a Vmax now. Thing was bulletproof reliable though. Never had to touch the motor (except for a bad plug wire....30 second fix). I love the Vmax, but I've had to mess with it a bit...shift segment, starter clutch, r/r and stator, and trying to dial in the carbs, but that's the damn stage 1's fault not so much the bike's.

Here's the original TV commercial for the Magna....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVfuJuoeh5Y

the v45s were the same way. not enough power to push 6th gear faster than 5th

Latest posts

Back