200 largest width on 17x6.25 rim?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Is a 200 the widest I can put on a 17x6.25 rim? Is there a fudge factor there? Has anyone fudged bigger?

Thanks

You could go bigger, but it changes the profile of the contact patch... Most run a 190 on a 6" rim and a 180 on a 5.5" rim so it makes sense that a 200 and 6.25 would be pretty well set.

You could go bigger, but it changes the profile of the contact patch... Most run a 190 on a 6" rim and a 180 on a 5.5" rim so it makes sense that a 200 and 6.25 would be pretty well set.

My findings are that the best tyre for 5,5 is 190 but can run with 180 and 200 with no problems. Some says that 180 on the 6" rim gives quicker handling :ummm: well maybe but only at the track and with the supersport bike.

Also, 190 will keep its width only with 5,5 rim. With 6" rim 190 tyre can have 195-197mm of width.

My findings are that the best tyre for 5,5 is 190 but can run with 180 and 200 with no problems. Some says that 180 on the 6" rim gives quicker handling :ummm: well maybe but only at the track and with the supersport bike.

Also, 190 will keep its width only with 5,5 rim. With 6" rim 190 tyre can have 195-197mm of width.

I've read studies that differ with your results. These were tested on the race track.

I go with what's suggested by the manufacturer of the tire. I'm not an engineer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.

Yamaha uses a 190 on a 6" rim with excellent results. i'd say easily put a 210 on the 6.25" without any issues.

Sean

Never had in mind that the width indicated depends on the rim. But it's so obvious.
I was wondering if there is somewhere the info indicating the matching rim size for each type of tire. That could be useful when buying tires :p

A lot of the tire websites have a recommended tire size for each wheel size. Haven't looked in a long time but if I remember correctly, Dunlop has one.

I've read studies that differ with your results. These were tested on the race track.

I go with what's suggested by the manufacturer of the tire. I'm not an engineer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.

You see, I was riding the same bike, with the same rim and just putting 180,190 and 200 all Michelin Pilot Sport.
My findings came from road test.

Im not an engineer either.

Never had in mind that the width indicated depends on the rim. But it's so obvious.
I was wondering if there is somewhere the info indicating the matching rim size for each type of tire. That could be useful when buying tires :p

Thats why You have 190 on your 6" rim and not much space left,huh?
Of course you will fit 200 with NP.

Thanks guys. Im running a 190 with little to spare.

Iv been wanting Sean to build me a longer braced swing arm. So with mods to the swing arm.. How wide a tire would it except without adding another U-joint? 6.25 rim.

Thanks

Back