240 rear tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregoryuw

Reaction score
Hey guys , I just ordered a 240 rear wheel ... will see if it gets here I ordered form accessories 4 bikes , I have read mixed reviews about there site .
600 bucks for the wheel and 60 for the hub plus ship ...
I see everyone seems to recomend Metzelers for the tire even though mixing tire manufactures on the bike I don't see any problems , I actually really like Metzelers .
How do you guys like your bikes with the 240 ?

I've never put miles on a Gen II that didn't already have a 240 mounted, so I'd say I like it just FINE.

I know nothing about that company. But, did you order the bearing kit @ $63.52 as well? I don't see anything on that site regarding a 'hub' offered.

You are going to need a very large (40mm or bigger-maybe double that, I forget the actual size right now - it's BIG!) allen wrench to remove a very large nut off one side of your existing wheel to use on the new one, or at least to install it, if a new one comes with the new wheel. Pretty sure you have to reuse yours. And for some reason if memory serves me (been over a year since I had one apart), it may be threaded backward from normal.

Be sure to put plenty of removable tape on your new 240 wheel BEFORE you try to re-install it, as it is a very tight fit in there, and far too easy to get the wheel paint up against the back side of the rear hub mounting bolt area. TWO people are better than one, when it comes to putting the 240 wheel back on, at least the first time you undertake it. Also, I always be sure the bike is IN GEAR beforehand - as it usually requires a bit of wiggling to get the drive shaft to start back into the correct spline on the dangling U-joint up inside the swingarm. Can be a PITA if the tranny is also spinning when you have that rear diff supported with your arms while similtaneously trying to get the splines to re-align perfectly enough. This is where I usually end up screaming. Sometimes I've had the shaft slip right in on the first shove. Other tire changes, I've had a 30 minute struggle, and sit there wondering WTF am I doing wrong.

Good luck, and let us know how it went.

Avon Cobra hands down, long life, pretty sticky as well...
I have been through 2 already.

FYI. the drivshaft is keyed so only fits in one way! align the paint stripes

The Metzler is a good tire as is the Avon. Haven't heard complaints about either.

I had the 240 for a couple of years and was not really happy so I went back to the stock size. It changes the handling of the bike.....it will still go around turns OK but requires a lot more effort. Where I ride there are a lot of twisties, so it was an issue. It also became a drag to have to remove the drive pumpkin every time I took off the wheel.

I would recommend anytime you are buying Yamaha parts to go to either of these places:

http://yamahasportsplaza.com/

http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/

They have very good prices and service.

Mark

Avon Cobra and Avon venom are great tires in my book. Have gone through several in 200/55-18 and like them.
Ridden HARD in the twisties and have never scared me

I knew right off the bat it would change the handling , I have twisties around by me but the back road riding is more suited for FZ1 or supermoto bikes and I have both so should not be that big of a issue for me .
I do like the Avon tires , I have a setof venom for my 07 max , I run the Distanzia tires on my supermoto bike and are a great tire .
I'm going to have to do something with the tail , bikes look way better all cleaned up .

Wheel and hub parts just rolled in from accessories 4 bikes and all looked great , only took a week and great price for all .
I just have to decide the tire and mount it up .
Looks like I may do a license plate relocation .

Looks like I may do a license plate relocation .

Most people do. I can't remember the last time I saw a Gen II still sporting the OEM tail end. IMO, they sure look much nicer cleaned up.

The rear end lights and plate
was the first thing I took off and threw away, I hated it.

Yeah the tails are usually the first thing I do , I got my 13 late in the season so did not have time to reconfigure .
I'm still trying to figure out which tire to get for the wheel .
Looking at the AVON Cobra or Metzeler 880 .

My next 240 is going to be one of the new Dunlop Q3's. I have an ME880 ready to go on the front. After this past weekend, it is ready to be changed, and will work out with perfect timing to have fresh tread for next month's trip to the TX hill country ride. I ran dangerously low on both front and rear rubber down there last Spring. Don't want a repeat of that.

My next 240 is going to be one of the new Dunlop Q3's. I have an ME880 ready to go on the front. After this past weekend, it is ready to be changed, and will work out with perfect timing to have fresh tread for next month's trip to the TX hill country ride. I ran dangerously low on both front and rear rubber down there last Spring. Don't want a repeat of that.
I remember seeing that "dangerously low" rear rubber in a picture at a overlook and/ or restaurant. One day I will ride the Texas Hill country with ya'll, the pictures and stories from these rides are very compelling!:punk:

I remember seeing that "dangerously low" rear rubber in a picture at a overlook and/ or restaurant. One day I will ride the Texas Hill country with ya'll, the pictures and stories from these rides are very compelling!:punk:

I don't think so. I don't remember anyone taking, much less posting, any pics of my tires down there last year. For sure, not at an overlook. I bet you are referring to the overlook where we eat lunch on one of the Arkansas rallies. I can remember a couple posted shots of maybe Hatters' baldie taken one year from that restaurant overlook. (haven't seen hide nor hair of Hatter recently) And, I believe, perhaps another time, Vern's Gen II tire was in similar distress at that very same restaurant. He didn't make it back to Eureka before losing air that day.

I don't recall ever taking a tire down to the cords. Just close on the center wear indicators. Last year, down in TX, I was closely monitoring the rear, knowing it was on it's last trip around the Sisters, when someone was kind enough to point out the sheer lack of tread on my front. I felt the need to ease up that last 50 miles back to camp on the last day, but still, had some rubber covering cords at all times.

If I can manage to get myself all the way to PA for an Thunderous experience, I'm sure you can find a way to make it over/down this way some day too. Looking forward to it. Bring lots of friends when you do. Whole different type of hooliganism, and well worth coming over. :clapping:

I don't think so. I don't remember anyone taking, much less posting, any pics of my tires down there last year. For sure, not at an overlook. I bet you are referring to the overlook where we eat lunch on one of the Arkansas rallies. I can remember a couple posted shots of maybe Hatters' baldie taken one year from that restaurant overlook. (haven't seen hide nor hair of Hatter recently) And, I believe, perhaps another time, Vern's Gen II tire was in similar distress at that very same restaurant. He didn't make it back to Eureka before losing air that day.

I don't recall ever taking a tire down to the cords. Just close on the center wear indicators. Last year, down in TX, I was closely monitoring the rear, knowing it was on it's last trip around the Sisters, when someone was kind enough to point out the sheer lack of tread on my front. I felt the need to ease up that last 50 miles back to camp on the last day, but still, had some rubber covering cords at all times.

Ahh yes, it probably was James then. It was definitely on a G1 though and it had a nice round scallop out of the rear tire.

If I can manage to get myself all the way to PA for an Thunderous experience, I'm sure you can find a way to make it over/down this way some day too. Looking forward to it. Bring lots of friends when you do. Whole different type of hooliganism, and well worth coming over. :clapping:
I have to do a Daytona Speed Week first (Hopefully next year) then I can make plans for the long drive (1500+ miles) to get there.

Ahh yes, it probably was James then. It was definitely on a G1 though and it had a nice round scallop out of the rear tire.

I have to do a Daytona Speed Week first (Hopefully next year) then I can make plans for the long drive (1500+ miles) to get there.

I've been to Daytona bike week a couple times now. Everybody ought to be able to say they've been. But quite frankly, I didn't give two pinches of coonpoo for it. I enjoyed the heck out of riding from Daytona all the way to Key West much, much better. And as far as mega rallies go, I had a whole lot more fun in and around the Sturgis event......tons better riding experience there than in FL.

Also pleast note: It'd only be about 1000 miles to the Eureka Springs rally for you then. Just sayin'.:biglaugh:

I've been to Daytona bike week a couple times now. Everybody ought to be able to say they've been. But quite frankly, I didn't give two pinches of coonpoo for it. I enjoyed the heck out of riding from Daytona all the way to Key West much, much better. And as far as mega rallies go, I had a whole lot more fun in and around the Sturgis event......tons better riding experience there than in FL.

Also pleast note: It'd only be about 1000 miles to the Eureka Springs rally for you then. Just sayin'.:biglaugh:
I used to live in the Flint, Mi area for quite a few years and have a few riding buddies that are big into local ice and flat track racing that are down there most every year so I'd probably look those guys up. They ride with Scott Parker and few other of the Flint area's AMA pro so it would be fun to hang with those guys. But I wouldn't rule out a ride down through the Keys either, I have a buddy down that way too. I'm guessing it's gonna take more than a week when I go to Florida.:punk:

Back