@ 35K: to valve or not to valve?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th3_mo3bius

Reaction score
Hello all and thanks for the helpful information and occasional colorful comments!

(Backstory)

I am in Japan and have been gifted a '99 49-state model. It is in so-so to poor but running condition. after getting the rocks out of the washing machine (starter clutch), chasing down some electrical gremlins ("missing fuse", crimp solder) i've put about 5K miles on my max and kept busting cooling pipes. i've got a leaking head gasket and oil was getting into cooling system and rotting the rubber pipes from the inside. So i've got the head covers off (engine in the bike) and will change shims, new gaskets, sparkplugs, re-install cobra exhaust pipes (stock was put-on for registration), and lastly synch carbs.

:ummm:(Main Question):ummm:

At 35K miles, while doing cam-to-shim/valve clearance adjustments, is it necessary to remove cylinder heads and disassemble/inspect the valves and lap the valves, etc? All things being equal, under the guise of "probability" can I put this off for another 2 years (20K) or so?

I would say "should I" but then that answers itself. I do not have a cherry picker, nor experience with the valves themselves (but I do believe I could do it myself - given the time), nor a compression tester (would that check piston ring sealing or valve seating..not sure on that one). Most mechanics here estimate $2 - $2.5K to remove cylinder head and do valve work. To go that far (remove the head and do valve work) I would probably have a mechanic do it for me (time and hassle factor)...OR am I just being a wuss and need to pull the cylinder head block and do the valves myself?

You can adjust the valves easily enough. But, they should not need any work for 100K miles. Have you replaced the blown head gasket already? We can even sell you HD studs so you can clamp them down tighter then stock.

@Steve-o: many thanks for the kind response! I had a feeling it was too early (and too expensive) for a valve job. I will just be changing shims and the gasket of course and should be on to the next challenge in no time.

@Sean: thanks telling it straight. i emailed you at Morley's (maybe twice, computer or brain funked - not sure which one) about getting some fork springs. Thanks for the offer on the hd bolts, how much do they run and do they come with the rubber grommets?

I meant the bolts holding the cylinder heads on. I have new grommets on hand that fit on the valve cover bolts but they are usually never needed. Most of the time what leaks is the valve cover gaskets (also on hand).

I'll get some email back to you shortly.

Sean

I meant the bolts holding the cylinder heads on. I have new grommets on hand that fit on the valve cover bolts but they are usually never needed.
Sean

oops, shows how much I know.
yup, leak was from valve cover gasket, not cylinder head gasket. :whistlin:

Last edited:
now that i've been helped in correctly identifying the valve cover gasket as not the head gasket, my oil-in-coolant problem needs re-thinking. Thanks Sean for posting on another thread on this topic; I'll be checking out the waterpump and its seals quite soon!

Hose replacement advice: Unfortunately, I've already replaced most cooling system hoses (I've come to learn that when oil gets in to cooling system, it softens the coolant hoses and they soon burst - or 10 years time might do it as well ;) BUT for other new V-Max owners who get a used bike or are replacing aging coolant hoses, you might just want to get a silicone hose set instead of replacing them one-by-one as they pop. Mr. Morley can order Samco kits for you. More expensive but better quality, change them all in one-shot option.

th3_mo3bius: I can really relate to what you're going through in resurrecting a severely neglected VMax. My 89 started needing a helping hand as soon as I got it home and continues to require that I pay huge amounts of attention to it.. My other bikes don't even want to start because they've just been sitting. I figure I have 40 hours a week or probably more into this project. That's over roughly six weeks. I'm sure I'm going to need to adjust the valves as it has 34k miles clocked and seems to be a little noisy in the valve area.:ummm:

I'm certain we'll both end up with pretty good bikes when we're done and we'll know a hell of a lot more about them going through all the work.... Keep On, Keepin On. You're not alone... :biglaugh: Good Luck Brother...

I'm sure I'm going to need to adjust the valves as it has 34k miles clocked and seems to be a little noisy in the valve area.:ummm:

I'm certain we'll both end up with pretty good bikes when we're done and we'll know a hell of a lot more about them going through all the work.... Keep On, Keepin On. You're not alone... :biglaugh: Good Luck Brother...

Man, I don't know where I'd be without this forum. Great tips and how-to. I have picked up more v-max tidbits than all 3 local dealers I've worked with know combined! I will only use them for parts or specific labor from now on. No more trouble-shooting or advice from them, thank you!

Valves - I've measured but haven't adjusted tthem yet, (waiting on the tool) but they were all out of spec. Only one was close - and this is with the engine running strong and no noticable valve clatter. After the crimp fix, it even idled fairly well when hot. So, yup, chances are you'll be adjusting them valves, too!

And thanks for the encouragement. I'll try and give some back when I can. Rock on brother! :punk:

th3_mo3bius: Between the 2 of us and this forum, there's nothing we can't fix. The people here are the absolute best........ Good Luck with your project bike and keep us posted on your progress.

I've got a thread that I keep updating but not throwing back in everybody's face by making new posts. If you'd like to see what I'm going through.....:rofl_200:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=15009

@ Special OPs - that's a nice thread, picked up a few tidbits of info, thank you, but having read it, I can honestly say,

"NO, I don't want to know what you're going through, cuz that seems like hell!":rofl_200: (lots of love!)

Man, I feel so much better now. I hate electrical gremlins; your 89 seems infested with them! Keep on firing away :flamethrower:

BTW, that paint job does look sharp! :clapping:

Thanx for the compliment... My electrical gremlin turned out to be a bad fuel lamp socket. Problem fixed.
If I ever get the time, I'll post the rest of what I've fixed since that fix.:biglaugh:

Back