4-2-1 Kerker, K&N, Stock Jets.... Running Rich?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubeerjw

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm a newby to the group and just got my first VMax - Stock 02. I recently installed a 4-2-1 Kerker and K&N air Filter. I was able to get it up on a dynojet at a local bike rally and the chart showed I was running very fat espically at lower RPM's (3000-5200) and was still at 11 (Air/Fuel) for the rest of the way up in the RPM's. It appears I should be in the low 13's for the air/fuel mix. All the reasearch I was doing told me I should be running lean with these mods since I kept the stock jetting. I have already purchased a dynojet Stage1 kit for this bike, but haven't installed it yet. I'm right at 112.5hp @ 77.95 ft-lbs of torque. The bike starts fine, perfect idel, and runs great. After a little more research, I read that a K&N air filter will not lean or help the bike much since there is too much restriction in the top 'Y" part of the air box, so I simply removed is as others have done. I haven't really noticed a difference, but haven't had it on the dyno again either. I'm getting right around 33-37 mpg and I have not been baybing this bike at all either. I would appreciate any comments with my mods and if I should install the stage 1 jet kit or leave the carbs alone. I appreciate everyone who posts and I hope to add some value in time.
Cheers,

Jeff

Hey all, I'm a newby to the group and just got my first VMax - Stock 02. I recently installed a 4-2-1 Kerker and K&N air Filter. I was able to get it up on a dynojet at a local bike rally and the chart showed I was running very fat espically at lower RPM's (3000-5200) and was still at 11 (Air/Fuel) for the rest of the way up in the RPM's. It appears I should be in the low 13's for the air/fuel mix. All the reasearch I was doing told me I should be running lean with these mods since I kept the stock jetting. I have already purchased a dynojet Stage1 kit for this bike, but haven't installed it yet. I'm right at 112.5hp @ 77.95 ft-lbs of torque. The bike starts fine, perfect idel, and runs great. After a little more research, I read that a K&N air filter will not lean or help the bike much since there is too much restriction in the top 'Y" part of the air box, so I simply removed is as others have done. I haven't really noticed a difference, but haven't had it on the dyno again either. I'm getting right around 33-37 mpg and I have not been baybing this bike at all either. I would appreciate any comments with my mods and if I should install the stage 1 jet kit or leave the carbs alone. I appreciate everyone who posts and I hope to add some value in time.
Cheers,

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

It is VERY hard to believe it is running THAT rich... What do the plugs look like? Should be a light grey color.

Maleko or Shawn Kloker live for carb/jetting questions so you are in VERY capable hands...

One question though... Where in IA are you from?

I'm in the Quad Cities.:thumbs up:

Cheers,
Chris

Cheers,

Jeff

Jeff,Sell the stage 1 kit on ebay.Go stage 7 or stay stock.Post your dyno sheets so we can see them.Dyno runs usually do not record till 4k and on.If it is real rich down low you can turn your idle mixture screws in to lean it down.Are you sure the main jets are still stock?152.5 mikuni's?

Thanks Shawn and Chirs for replying. Chris, I live in Washington so I'm not too far away at all, we'll have to meet up some time.

Shawn, I'm not positive they are stock mains, but everything else appeared to be, so I may contact the dealership and try to contact the previous owner and find out for sure. I'll try to post my dyno results shortly.

Do either of you have any info/comments on the removal of the 'Y' in the air box.. good or bad? Thanks again, Jeff

Thanks Shawn and Chirs for replying. Chris, I live in Washington so I'm not too far away at all, we'll have to meet up some time.

Shawn, I'm not positive they are stock mains, but everything else appeared to be, so I may contact the dealership and try to contact the previous owner and find out for sure. I'll try to post my dyno results shortly.

Do either of you have any info/comments on the removal of the 'Y' in the air box.. good or bad? Thanks again, Jeff

I took mine off and I love the extra sound it makes... Haven't hit he dyno yet... STILL need to get me wheel...:bang head::damn angry:

One of our reps is from Washington. 4WARND is the IA VMOA director... He hopes to get a ride in this year sometime... Looks like I will have to miss it though... NO WHEEL! I guess I could ride the other bike...

I finally got around to scanning my dyno sheet for you guys to view. I'll try to post it on the "Dyno Lab" section as well. If you have any more comments, please let me know. The bike had just under 11k when the dyno was done. What do you guys recommend I do with the jets... Is it worth my time to tear into the carbs and find out exactly what the jets are or should I just try to lean them up a bit?
Cheers,
Jeff

Attachments

• 02Vmax_Dyno_090107.jpg
    02Vmax_Dyno_090107.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 38
I would lower the main jet my one size and lower your needle at least one clip and see where you are then. Do the needle test and mixture test outlined in the Carb section sticky. That's a pretty big dip around 3000 rpms.....might need to increase the size of PAJ2 a couple of sizes.

Mark

Cheers,

Jeff

What baffle did you get? I do not know Kerkers very well but did you get the real quiet baffle?Kerkers usually always need bigger mains not rich with 152.5 Mikuni mains.If I had a kerker I would get the biggest one they make.

What baffle did you get? I do not know Kerkers very well but did you get the real quiet baffle?Kerkers usually always need bigger mains not rich with 152.5 Mikuni mains.If I had a kerker I would get the biggest one they make.

I measured the tip of the exhaust at 1.5" and the internal baffle tube at 1.75". There should be a 2" if I remember correctly. It isn't too loud, so I may have the quiet baffle.
Is there something I can do to the stock (Kerker) baffle to help with the flow?

I measured the tip of the exhaust at 1.5" and the internal baffle tube at 1.75". There should be a 2" if I remember correctly. It isn't too loud, so I may have the quiet baffle.
Is there something I can do to the stock (Kerker) baffle to help with the flow?

I was thinking the performance one was like 2.25 or 2.5" and it sounds amazing...

4WARND had one on his old Max...:thumbs up:

Yah,Thats the little baffle.

Sean Morley is the Kerker Man!

You have to replace the whole can with the bigger one.

Does anyone know where the best place to get the big/competition baffle is? I took out the ballfe today and part of the fiberglas on the top side in the middle was gone.... what would cause that?

Does anyone know where the best place to get the big/competition baffle is? I took out the ballfe today and part of the fiberglas on the top side in the middle was gone.... what would cause that?

Click on Morley's Muscle at the top of the page,Find his phone number and call him.He probably has what you need!

Running the engine...:whistlin:

I would pack it with a ceramic needle mat which will last and last compared to cheap old school fiberglass...:thumbs up:

All, Well I went to the local Yamaha dealership and they happened to have a used competition baffle for my kerker pipe so I purchased it and installed it right away... what a difference... sounds awesome! I also just got my Carbtune in and synced my carbs this afternoon... I think I got it pretty close, but I don't think they were too far off in the first place. I have put about 10 miles on it so far and I don't really notice a difference. I posted my dyno results from a few months ago that showed me running very rich. Since then I have removed the 'y' piece on the air box, installed the larger baffle, and synced the carbs. I am attaching a few picture of the plugs I just took out and I'm really questioning the dyno results that showed me running very rich. I have no hesitation going from 4k to WOT, but once again, this is my first VMax, and don't have a lot to compare it too. I'm wondering if the carb sync, removal of the y, and the larger baffle leaned it out a bit? Please let me know what you think of the plugs and if I should still get into the carbs and reduce my main jets or move the needle.
Thanks!
Jeff

Attachments

• P1010057.jpg
    P1010057.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010058.jpg
    P1010058.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 37
Damn bro,

Those plugs look old. Looks like rust -n- shit on em'.

Throw in a new set and vroom, vroom around for a day or 2.

Then take a look and see where you are at. There cheap as hell.

Latest posts

Back