4 thing i know about the Corbin seat

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilD

Reaction score
1. It uncomfortable
2. It's ugly
3. The guy that thought the fuel access was big enough has hands the same size as my 8 year old daughter
4. Guy who designed it was probably not on their A, B or even C design team. Might even work in the mail room 3 days a week.

:biglaugh: Exactly ! thats why theres the Maxgasser!:biglaugh:

I don't mind my Corbin. OK, it's a 'Muscle Corbin', and I have the fuel filler extender, but I really don't mind the looks of it and it's gotta be the best when it comes to accessing what's underneath it!

Love my Corbin too. I needed to sit higher up, not lower down. My hands are small enough to access the fuel cap. And the hard seat is perfect for my long days in the saddle, since I don't trailer the Vmax.

I think Sean's seat is perfect for most riders, especially guys. But the Corbin is right for me. I run used Corbins on all my bikes.

So is there going to be a Corbin seat on Ebay soon?

Another +1 for the Corbin. I have emerald green accents on the metallic black 98 and same color piping on the seat. The seat has all day comfort for my poor old skinny arss. It did seem hard when first installed but it's great now...:confused2:

Lew
PS also have had a Corbin on my ZX-11 for many years befor the Max.

As i find mine better then the stock for sure, way better on my back(mines like plastic, real fragile) and nice on the long rides. took a while to get use to it as it seemed slippery and was sliding around in the turns but now seems normal and im use to it....... But when I do get my maxgasser I will be selling mine here or ebay so if anyone is interested let me know........

Hi Tugla:

What year was your Corbin seat made? I might buy it from ya if it's a newer one.

Thanks.

Elimax

Hi Tugla:

What year was your Corbin seat made? I might buy it from ya if it's a newer one.

Thanks.

Elimax

not sure the year when i take it off i will take a look if its printed but its got the flap not the plug for the gas filler, real nice not ripped at all.

I don't mind my Corbin. OK, it's a 'Muscle Corbin', and I have the fuel filler extender, but I really don't mind the looks of it and it's gotta be the best when it comes to accessing what's underneath it!

Could you tell me were I can get this fuel filler extender? Because that is my main problem with the Corbin seat, its hard to access the fuel cap.

Thanks.

I used a Corbin for about a year on my bike, until I could get a Muscle Seat. I liked it just fine. I'm 6'3", and at the time 275lbs (225 now), and found the wider, taller profile great on long trips. I've done 1000 miles + in under 48 hours on the bike twice, one with the Corbin and one with the Muscle Seat, and I think the Corbin was the more comfortable seat towards the second half of the ride, while Sean's is definitely more comfy during the first half.

I had no problem with the filler-cap issue, because I didn't use it! I bought the seat used from Sean, and it didn't come with the bolts to secure it to the frame. I asked Sean about this, and he said he didn't use them, so I figured I'd try it his way and I never bolted the seat down. I just took the whole thing off when I fueled up. On long trips, I even ran bungees through the hole in securing my bag to the seat, so when I took it off the bag came with the seat. Took maybe 3 seconds and was as about as hassle-free as you could want.

It's definitely not as pretty as the Muscle Seat, but it does give a little extra leg room for those of us with longer inseams.

I used a Corbin for about a year on my bike, until I could get a Muscle Seat. I liked it just fine. I'm 6'3", and at the time 275lbs (225 now), and found the wider, taller profile great on long trips. I've done 1000 miles + in under 48 hours on the bike twice, one with the Corbin and one with the Muscle Seat, and I think the Corbin was the more comfortable seat towards the second half of the ride, while Sean's is definitely more comfy during the first half.

I had no problem with the filler-cap issue, because I didn't use it! I bought the seat used from Sean, and it didn't come with the bolts to secure it to the frame. I asked Sean about this, and he said he didn't use them, so I figured I'd try it his way and I never bolted the seat down. I just took the whole thing off when I fueled up. On long trips, I even ran bungees through the hole in securing my bag to the seat, so when I took it off the bag came with the seat. Took maybe 3 seconds and was as about as hassle-free as you could want.

It's definitely not as pretty as the Muscle Seat, but it does give a little extra leg room for those of us with longer inseams.

I never though of that Klatuu. I'll give it a try, most of the time the simplest solution is the best.

Thanks for the info.

Refueling on the Corbin is a snap...just don't bolt it down! I like my Corbin...it works well for me & my ride...

Back in the 90's I used the extension setup on my 95 with the first gen Corbin. Bought the extension at a plumbing supply store and the gas filler at a boating store. (Called a deck fuel filler). Just had to get the step down size correct on the extension and a couple stainless steel hose clamps. Also grounded the filler to the frame. It comes with grounding screw. Those extensions have to be replaced every few years as they eventually split from age, etc.

On my current Max I bought the second gen Corbin and it is much better. No extension needed and can fuel up with a tail bag mounted on the passenger seat. On the first gen Corbin, had to remove the tail bag before fueling.

1. It uncomfortable
2. It's ugly
3. The guy that thought the fuel access was big enough has hands the same size as my 8 year old daughter
4. Guy who designed it was probably not on their A, B or even C design team. Might even work in the mail room 3 days a week.

Certainly a matter of opinion:
The stock seat ruined me. I went to a Corbin, and couldn't be happier. I added an Airhawk cushion, and I'm loving life. I also think its one of the nicest looking seats out there. Just goes to show that everyone's taste is different. Henry Ford said you could have any color as long as its black. I think the only reason he survived that one is he was the only game in town.

Kathy and I used to go to Americade in Lake George every June. From about 1998 to around 1990 or so, I used to stop at the Corbin booth to bug Mike Corbin to make up a seat for the VMax. This was in the days when he actually used to go to the events and listen to peoples requests... Anyway, believe it or not, in '91 or '92, we were at the Tourexpo at Americade, when Mike stopped me and asked me if I still wanted a seat for a VMax! I said "Sure", and he told me to get my bike and bring it over to the booth. When we got the bike there, he had a seat out to show me. We installed it, and he said "take it out for a ride, stop back tomorrow to let me know if you want it". Which we did, and bought it on the spot. The seat that was on the Max was shot, so even though he offered to ship it home free, I just kept the rear portion to give to a friend who was in need of a better one than he had on his VMax.. He was at the same motel, so we swapped them over, and tossed out his seat section.

I think I paid about $200.00 for the seat...

Corbin did tell me he did the VMax seat because I bugged him for one every year, so either blame me for the existence of the seat, or thank me for giving him the idea..

Mine needed a recover after about 19 years, had the gas flap covered over, so I take the seat off to refuel. Looks a hell of a lot better than the flap!

Back in 1980 three of us went to the Houston M/C show from Dallas. Bought my first Shoei helmet there. Called a Z-100 I believe. It was the prettiest helmet I had ever seen. Pearl white metallic with a charcoal gray swoop on each side.

Anyway, Mike Corbin was there and at the time all he sold was boots. I was needing a pair so I chatted with him a while and then tried them on. They zipped up from the back and were great looking. I tried on two pair and on each one the zipper broke when trying to zip up. He was so embarrassed and said, "Guess I need a new zipper supplier". Obviously I didn't buy. :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back