5th gear gone?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
Went for a ride the other day. Bike was running great then 5th gear turned into neutral. ? Never acted up or missed a gear.
pulled out the clutch everything looks good with the segment and linkage.
pulled the oil pan and didn't find anything odd. No metal. WTF seems very strange to me.

I'm wondering if the gear engagement is failing? It shifts to 5th but the gears are just spinning and not transmitting power to the counter transmission shaft?

IDK? Its been so long since I built this engine that I don't remember how it works.
No metal in the oil pan.

Sounds like it sheared off the dogs. It will go into gear but just not do anything when that happens. Pretty rare to happen but I have seen it.

I think if it had sheared the dogs then some evidence would have been found in the pan.
I'm wondering if there's something going on with the selector mechanism.

It's possible loose prices can stay in the transmission partition maybe.

Shearing the dogs in 5th I think would be pretty tough to do???

May a fork is bent or something and it's sitting between 4th and 5th??

I'm starting to think the dogs sheared off too. Maybe the dogs are still in the other gear? It does seem to shift into 5th right just nothing is there.
I knew that Sean has been in countless transmissions doing the Venture 5th upgrades. It just blows knowing what lies ahead to repair this. I did it before, 2nd went out. I had Fast By Gast backcut these gears. Wonder if it weakened them or if I just beat it too severly?

Shawn, do you still stomp your shifts like a dirt bike? ;)

I thought about it. That 5th gear has taken some serious abuse. All the engine braking it has done above 100. 3rd is probably about to go too. Click,click,WFO, HERE WE GO!

Yea, it's probably a gonner.

Attachments

• Torn 5th gear dogs on 2-3 gear.jpg
    Torn 5th gear dogs on 2-3 gear.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 71
Wow learn something new, stripping 5th gear. Is it the much pressure when shifting in the top gear.

2nd engages into fifth and vice versa. Undercut can weaking if not done right for sure and ANY gear undercut or not can have this failure if run hard enough (which I am sure he has done).

2nd engages into fifth and vice versa. Undercut can weaking if not done right for sure and ANY gear undercut or not can have this failure if run hard enough (which I am sure he has done).
That's probably the understatement of the day Sean! From what I've heard Shawn would fit right in with the best of the hooligans!

Exactly same thing on my 2000 Vmax. I found the dogs sheared. One in the oil pan and two under the clutch basket.
rick

Would the double d mod have played a part in this? I thought the way the torque was transferred in the higher gears would cause the clutch to slip before shearing off chunks of metal.

PCW did the gear undercuts/backcuts on my 1500 when they did the motor. I absolutely agree that mine was made to fail by PCW. I mean, 5th gear. come on! I don't think the DD played any part in the 5th gear failure.

rick rash

ok,it wasn't bad enough that my max needs the tranny rebuilt again. Today I found out that my zx14 had one of the #3 rod bolts fall out. I found it and the nut laying in the oil pan. Motor started ticking like it needed a valve adjustment.
The motor is ready to drop out in the morning then I'll see the full damage.
WTF? Only 10k on the bike.

Hey Sean at least my Fazer is still running!

I can't quit feeling like I want to take a baseball bat to the guy that assembled this engine!

Back