6'2 180pounds, would I be comfortable on a VMax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strom1000

Reaction score
Local shop has no demos and just 1 in stock which is an 07 for like $11000. Thinking of selling my V-Strom 1000 and moving to something a little more badass and not so ugly.

So just sitting on it at the shop it feels a bit small and i'd be worried about my legs cramping up. would a set of highway bars and pegs and a new seat fix this if it's an issue?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked.

I am 6ft 7 and I have ridden 250 miles of hard riding in one day. I think you would have other issues if you plan on paying 11000,00 for an 07 model.
First thing I would do is take the stock seat off and take it to a shop and have it chopped and flattened.

You should be fine!! Almost replied that if you are going to pay $11k for an 07 you should just look at an 09, then I saw your location. As the price in Canada for an 09 runs ~$21k depending on the deal you can work the $11k doesn't sound as bad. Highway pegs are readily available if you find you need to stretch out a bit. Also you can get forward controls should you desire. One great thing about the Max is that it has been around so long and there are tons of parts out there for it.

Good luck and enjoy!!

I know I'm going to be in the minority here, but I wouldn't bail a dealer out by buying an '07 Max for a penny over his cost. And, then I'd make him toss in gear or something for the holdback he'll make selling it. If he won't do it, I'd let it gather dust over the winter.

Either buy the '09, or trot down and take that $11k and buy yourself an '08 Hayabusa. I think you'll be happier with its 180-hp, fuel injection, radials and great off-the-showroom floor handling.

With the new Max coming out and so many other good bikes to choose from, this doesn't seem to be to be the best time to buy a spankin' new Gen 1 and start the slew of upgrades almost everyone does.

Now, if you can steal it at absolute dealer cost...maybe.

FWIW.

I agree with the cost. Tell the dealer if he wants to sell that Gen 1 VMax, you want a much better price. Also there is an 06 in the classifieds here going for $6 k !!

I agree with the cost. Tell the dealer if he wants to sell that Gen 1 VMax, you want a much better price. Also there is an 06 in the classifieds here going for $6 k !!

WOW!! What site is that one on???? I was checking out www.trader.ca a couple of weeks ago and they people were asking $8k for 97-98 vintage Max's. That's why I didn't see too much of an issue with a new 07 at $11k.

Hello,

A little off-topic, but I would not compare the Max (not the old, nor the new 09) to the Hayabusa and the like. They are far too different kind of bikes. Today there is no question of absolute number performance bikes; if you want the "fastest, most powerful, etc. etc." stock bike of today, then buy Kawasaki ZZR 1400. Have to remember that Max is almost 25 year old model!, after all.
biglaugh.gif

Now, I'm not saying that it's not powerful. No, there is a lot of raw power, lot's of torque, and actually it is fast, much faster than most of us who ride it. The thing is that it has the best "scary factor
30.gif
", which in this case means the power / performance compared to the rideability. That's why I don't even consider improving the handling of it too much... You know you can get into the same level of thrill at much more reasonable speeds compared to the highway bikes of today. Yes, they are interesting and thrilling too, but still it's not the same. And finally, the Max and the highway bikes are made for different kind of use. For just speed, it is easy, cheap and safe experience to jump into bullet train and get a ride. I can tell you that 400 kph feels nothing...except that the scene changes faster.

For the physical size, my cousin who is not a guy of small figure (185 cm, 110 kg), likes to borrow the Max often. He likes it very much and wants to get himself one, too.
punk0000.gif

Regards,

AT

Thanks for the replies.

So 11k is too much for a new 07 in Canada? I think it's original cost was like 12.5k. How much should I offer?

Akatora what do you mean when you say power and performance compared to reliability? Are you saying the Max is or isn't reliable? I don't think i'd want one if it likes to be worked on all the time...

Price sometimes depends on where you are located. I have been perusing Trader again today and it looks like used 06's are in the 9-10k range (I am thinking that they are listed a bit high personnally). You could go in and low ball them at say $9,500 and negotiate from there. As the 09 has been released they may want to move that one cheap. As it is I wouldn't go higher than say ~$10K unless you are really motivated to get it immediately. Check out Trader, Craigslist, etc. and take a look at used ones on the market. There is a low km (4,779km) 2006 on Trader in Ontario with an asking price of $9,200 from a dealer. It might be had for a low $8k price if the shop is really wanting to move it. Here is a link: http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=91066&adid=7142185

Lol! I said rideability, and ment like handling or how easy/difficult it is to ride (fast).
rofl_200.gif

And yes, there is also lot's of work with technical things - at least with older maxes...

Regards,

AT

Lol! I said rideability, and ment like handling or how easy/difficult it is to ride (fast).
rofl_200.gif

And yes, there is also lot's of work with technical things - at least with older maxes...

Regards,

AT

oops sorry, guess that's my sign to get some sleep.

But also on that subject, what would i be looking at in terms of reliability on a new 07? I dont really know much when it comes to working on bikes outside of the regular upkeep stuff. I usually get the shop to do it because i'm too lazy...

Hello,

I wouldn't expect too many problems. Just keep it rolling regularly. The solution is well tried over the 25 years... Older models have naturally developed some problems, though, as would any old motorcycle do.
punk0000.gif

Regards,

AT

To be fair, there are a couple of things that could be culture shockish to a Strom owner:

1. Day to day, the carbs on the Max aren't as friendly as FI on the Strom. Keep the fuel circuit clean and stabilized, and not a big deal. Just not a 'push the button and it starts' affair on the Max.
  2. The wobble. Chances are fair that your '07 Max will have a wobble. Either at low speeds (mine was at 40-45 mph), or at high speeds. Many on this forum have worked it out of their bikes, and there's some great info here to do it. Just be prepared that you may well end up having to deal with it.
  3. Bias ply tires. The Max doesn't have radials stock. Also, I'm not aware of any radials that will fit the stock wheels. You might want to also budget for replacement wheels when the stock tires are ready for replacement. Big improvement handling wise, but it's something you didn't need to do on the Strom.

lol if you want it just buy it. I wouldn't buy a 07 vmax then upgrade to radial tires? I have put 11,000 on my 06 with 2 different brands of bias plies and they work just fine. The vmaxes handle alot better than people give them credit for. Most my 11000 miles have been through the curvy mountains of Northern Ca.

Thanks for the replies.

So 11k is too much for a new 07 in Canada? I think it's original cost was like 12.5k. How much should I offer?

Ok, The bike is 2 years old (09 models come out in another month) Strike 2, the dealer has been sitting on this bike now for 2 years, Strike 3, the riding season is almost over. You have all the advantages.

I wouldnt pay anything over, $10K I would try to get it for $9800.00 along with a new 400.00 helmet since the new model helmets come out in the spring. Dealers want to sell this time of the year. I would wait till the last Friday of the month and go in there and try and work some deals.

Here is one for sale an 2007 model with 1300 miles and has over 1000.00 in aftermarket stuff to go along with it..

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-YAMAHA-VMAX-89966927

Back