86 Venture 1300 Carbs work on an 85 V-max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drew85

Reaction score
My right rear (as I sit on the bike)carb is messed up and probably cant be fixed. I got a set of carbs off an 86 XVZ13 pretty cheap. What would be the best way to go? I can either take the right rear venture carb, switch the jets, and bolt it in with the v-max carbs, or just clean, switch jets, and use the venture carbs. Either way the carbs that go back on my bike will be completely cleaned. I looked up both carbs on an online microfiche, the v-max has #150 main jets and the venture has #170. They both have the same part numbers except for the throttle screws, main jets, and the lever starter. I plan on buying marks exhaust soon, would the 170 jets be a good start for rejetting?

I would take the jets out of the old carb and put them in the new one.All of them,emulsion tube too.170 is way rich for a stock vmax.Check the float level good too.

Thanks shawn. Dumb question, but where is the emulsion tube? Would 170 jets be too big if I get a full exhaust and the 4 individual K&N filters?

Probably the needle jet. Could mean the main jet bleed pipe. It's the center tube in the jet block inside the float bowls.

170 mikuni mains are too big for a stock engine.I am running them but just had my heads ported and put .383 lift web cams in.Dyna ignition and professionally degreed.I actually think that they are still lean in mine.I do not think a stock bike could even run on them.152.5 to 170 is a really big step!

Thanks for everyones help. I'll switch everything I can over from the v-max carbs. Has anyone done this before? If not I'll post on how it turns out.

unless i am mistaken the carbs are actually smaller in diameter and you will lose HP but gain in torque.

Sean

I checked both sets of carbs and they all measured 35mm, unless your talking about a different measurement.

For some reason 3 carbs had 170 mains and the 4th had a 152 main jet. Wheres the best place to order jets?
My manual says the front carbs need 150 mains and the rear needs 152.5, are these the jets I should be ordering or should I go with all the same size like every other year besides the 85?

Go with all the same size...152.5.

Thanks maleko89, I just spent $4 each for new main jets at the dealership, the cheapest I found them online was around $8-$10. I cant believe my v-max even ran, every jet was plugged and the carbs were dirty as hell not to mention they all had the wrong main jets in them.

University motors had the best deal that I found.$1.50 each.From the Parts/Unlimited catalog.

I just got the carbs done and put on. The left front is spitting gas out of the main jet air bleed or the Pilot Air Jet 1 on top(cant remember which one) and its coming out the tube for that carb that runs to the top of the airbox. Is there anything I should check? I would think if the float was stuck the gas would come out of the smaller tube that comes off the float bowl.

Do you have the fuel hoses hooked up correctly? Once when bench setting floats I hooked external fuel hose to float bowl vent. It came out of the main jet air bleed like a geyser.

I think I figured it out. The float probably needs adjusted on that carb. The gas is coming out of the overflow, and the smaller tube coming off the float bowl is just the drain tube.

Make sure the float tab is inserted correctly into that little wire on the float needle valve. If not it never closes.

Back