86 vmax engine painting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1978RJC

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I am a life long Harley guy who has recently been given a 1986 VMAX from a close family friend. I had heard about them over the years but never seen or ridden one. WOW its fast and I have parked the Softail! Anyway, I began to take it apart to clean years of neglect and bad paint work and I am down to painting the engine now. Right now it seems it was completley sprayed flat black. Is this correct for 86, and if not, are the jugs flat and the case gloss or vice versa? Also, I'll be painting the engine in the frame, any suggestions on paint brands and the masking process?

Thanks a Bunch!

1978rjc

NICE! I'll post a pick of mine. It is kinda of heavy with chrome and the paint is a little wild for my taste. All of the tins are in the paint shop and the hardware is at the powder coater. should have it together in time for Bike Week here in MB. I'm dreading the engine painting though.

Just guessing but I bet the paint is around 20-40% gloss. Sean would be the expert on this.

G

Last edited:
Yeah it was more of a semi gloss to me but I say its your bike paint it how you want. :biglaugh: Eastwood makes some good ceramic paint or you can use a good automotive paint. I use PPG products but again that is just my preference.

Back