96VMax will not start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kurse21

Reaction score
Hi I am wondering if anyone here has ever run into the problem I am having.

I changed the stator and mid gear gaskets, after riding I noticed some seepage, so I tilted the bike and cleaned the area, after about 30 min I settled the bike back down and when I went to start her, she wouldn't turn over. I checked the spark plugs they had a lot of residue on them as if they were sitting in liquid, I changed the plugs but I am noticing the bike sounds like it is not getting a spark. Battery is strong the bike is set to run and a full tank of gas, I have no clue what to do next. I Don't know if this helps but my ride before it stop was about 30 km or 18 miles.

video and spark plug images are in the links below,

Any help would be appreciated... summer is short north of the border and it is killing to see my bike just sitting there.

Kurse21

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!ABWn8iwMf5O50FQ&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=535757E8B1D99006!1353&authkey=!AJ6FS2s1GTdIfts&ithint=video%2c.mp4

Depending on how far over you 'tilted' the bike you may have activated the tip-over valve (switch?). It is located in front of the battery box, there's a black hose from the top of the tank to the tip-over.

Not exactly sure how you clear it but it may be your problem.

Check the pick up coil connector, hold a plug grounded to the motor and spin the bike over to see if there is spark. Chances or the pick up coil connector is not making a good connection.

Check the pick up coil connector, hold a plug grounded to the motor and spin the bike over to see if there is spark. Chances or the pick up coil connector is not making a good connection.
So I tried this a couple of days ago, I did not see a thing. should the spark be really obvious, and what causes a pick-up coil to just die? Should I replace the wires before replacing the coils?Lastly do you know how to reset this tip-over switch? Thanks for the quick responses guys!

Yes, the spark should be pretty easy to see if it is securely grounded, there is also a pretty cheap spark plug tester available at most auto stores. It goes inline between the plug and the cap and will flash if the system is firing correctly when you hit the starter.
I never heard of this "tip over switch" before so sorry, can't help you on that issue.

Chris.

There is no reset on the tip over line. It is the vent off from the top of your fuel tank, disconnect it from the top of tank and if you can suck air thru it then it's good. All 4 spark plug wires will not go out at the same time and I dought that is the problem. If you use a spark plug to see if the bike is firing, you may have a problem looking for the spark in direct sunlight. I usually just unscrew the wire from the plug cap and hold it next to an unpainted part of the engine or frame, then the spark will be much more evident. The pick up coil does not have a reason to simply quit working unless you have pinched or broken one of the wires connecting it to wireing harness. You need to check the resistance between the orange and black terminals, on the coil side of the connector.
As per manual.....should be between 80.8-121.2 ohms, @68F degrees(20C).

Tip over VALVE.
Plastic thing mounted to the front of the battery box. Damn near touches the headers for cylinders 1 & 3. Black hose from the valve runs down and attaches to a holder on the oil pan.

You can just unplug the hose on the top side of the valve to see if that is the problem.

To check the valve, see if you have can blow air down thru it. Blow thru the top side.

How far over did you lean the bike?

The spark plug looks rich but I see no reason why it shouldn't work. I've seen worse plugs throw off a fat, blue spark. It should be pretty obvious.

I will try this as soon as I can (in the morning hopefully), thanks for the insight, btw I tipped it about 45 degrees. I will keep you updated!!

If you have more than one coil out & you just messed with the stator, I would assume something is wrong there. There are test procedures in the electrical section and the repair manual on how to check to make sure your stator is still happy. I'd focus there first.

Soooooo.... Took a look yesterday and A) I did not see the valve by the battery case. B) I tried to follow the manual to check my pick-up coil, it says to take of the seat and check the 5pin cable plug, I saw no such harness wires under the seat(the bike is a 96 and has gone through several hands, so with hot fix this and Vboost override that, things might not be so stock anymore) I didn't actually mess with the stator I just redid the gasket for an annoying drip I had since fall ( I had changed the starter clutch...thanks Sean Morley).

If anyone can put a snapshot of their set-up of the pick up coil plug and the tilt valve it would be greatly appreciated because the service manuals PDF images really tell you little.

If I cannot figure this out in the next couple of days the bike is getting towed to the local dealer.

What is frustrating is that it was running before i started looking and poking around to see where that new oil drip was coming from :bang head:

btw the valve should be here according to previous post
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...uthkey=!AI23i0Ci7M9Qi9U&v=3&ithint=photo,.jpg

So brought it to the garage last week, took them three days to look at it(that is 3days later than they said the would look at it), and after tearing it down and taking out my v-boost override because they thought it was useless wiring (that made me a little cagey, had to explain what it does)....they said it was the pickup coil, which I mentioned to them, why they didn't just check the wires from the pickup before tearing my bike apart I do not know. Anyway they ordered the pickup and Yamaha says it will only available the 28th of July, I am totally bummed out. Well that concludes my ranting, thanks for the replies guys! Dang ...pickup coils the one part that doesn't have a jobber...is the one I needed.

So brought it to the garage last week, took them three days to look at it(that is 3days later than they said the would look at it), and after tearing it down and taking out my v-boost override because they thought it was useless wiring (that made me a little cagey, had to explain what it does)....they said it was the pickup coil, which I mentioned to them, why they didn't just check the wires from the pickup before tearing my bike apart I do not know. Anyway they ordered the pickup and Yamaha says it will only available the 28th of July, I am totally bummed out. Well that concludes my ranting, thanks for the replies guys! Dang ...pickup coils the one part that doesn't have a jobber...is the one I needed.

If you do some searching in the forum, you will find that there are alternatives to the VMax pickup coil, including a less-expensive Venture alternative. There are also other choices which will be much-less than whatever Yamaha is charging you.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29714&highlight=pick-up+coil

Update, they fixed it with the Yamaha part after all, week and a half earlier than I expected...however since the fix my signal fuse has been blowing. They found a bunch of sloppy wiring under the pillon seat (wires exposed and the re is even the led brake light that does not have the black wire connected to anything. So I am going to take a look at this mess and try to find where the short is coming from. From one thing to another...

FYI I changed the fuse and it was ok (actually the right front was still not flashing, but the bulb was good)for a while then it burnt out, when I replaced it it burned out as soon as I started the bike. When I first noticed the that I was having issues my Tach was being erratic (0 then popping up to 4000rpm) and neutral light came on in third and wouldn't come on in neutral, then finally it burnt out.

There are enough parts sellers on here, you should be able to get a wire harness, used, from someone on here, that hasn't been butchered. Or, try to track-down all your faults.

FYI I changed the fuse and it was ok (actually the right front was still not flashing, but the bulb was good)for a while then it burnt out, when I replaced it it burned out as soon as I started the bike. When I first noticed the that I was having issues my Tach was being erratic (0 then popping up to 4000rpm) and neutral light came on in third and wouldn't come on in neutral, then finally it burnt out.

I hate too tell you this, but the last time I saw a tach jump around and engine popping, it was a bad ecm/ignitor box. When these things start going out you might see all sorts of weird things happen. I don't think the ecm has anything to do with your other electrical problems thou. You might want to jump out the side stand switch, they will cause intermittent problems also. I would also clean the contact going to the ecm/ignitor box and apply some dielectric grease to connection.

Back