a complete frame up build??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FREERIDER

Reaction score
So now that Ive basically totaled my Dads bike:bang head::bang head:, its time to build one out of two. Yes I have two Maxs to work with here. The older one that has been sitting for 8 yrs or so is 90% there. Got parked after a minor lay down that screwed something up and it would never steer strait after that. AND the other was the "Dont Let Up" bike that was my Dads pride and joy.
I mostly have everything I need to put a bike together, my question is what are good things to do with a frame up build. Im putting new bearing races in for example. What are things I dont need, or should add. I am doing this on a budget, I know its endless as what to add, but Im looking for the basic minor things here. Or even more, of what I can take off thats not necessary. I highly doubt a center stand will make it onto this bike.

So by this time next week I will have a white frame. Any ideas guys?:ummm:

solid frame mounts
Spin on oil filter adapter if older
4 pole starter if older
bigger battery
Gas gauge, details to follow
braced swing arm
170 rear tire

just for starters

If you're gonna do front bearings, I'd say do swing arm bearings too.

Definitely solid motor mounts. If your frame is naked and you have welding equipment/ability, you could always do a bit of bracing, both to the frame and the swing arm. I believe there's a bunch of pics online from people who've done that, and it really helps handling.

There isn't much to take off unless you wanna make a rat bike and go real minimal, in which case you could lose most of the bodywork, rear seat and grab handle etc..

One of the best things to lose weight is to eat less. The next best thing is to replace the OEM mufflers with a pair of slip-ons.

I would put my energy into those things that are easy when the bike is apart but a PITA when together.

My short list:

Solid Motor Mounts
Steering head and swing arm bearings
Clutch Slave Cyl
Gear Selector Segment (if motor earlier than 1990)

While the rest of the enhancements mentioned by the guys above are great enhancements and will make things feel better and or make the bike handle better they are things that can be done when the bike is together without too much trouble.

If you have it torn DOWN to the frame I'd gusset it for sure bead blast it and powder coat it.

Chris

Gear Selector Segment (if motor earlier than 1990)

Segment if earlier then 1999!

Solid mounts for sure.

Powdercoated frame (black goes with everything you may ever change your mind to in the future). Raked frame??? (I have a couple on hand). Of course that's not necessarily budget conscious but a lot easier to do when it's apart then after you get it all together.

DD Clutch

New bearings/seals all over.

Bead Blast and Paint engine (or even a bigger engine).

The rest can almost always be done as bolt on's later (including braided brake lines, better tires, wheels (bigger or powdercoated, ect....).

Sean

Good tips. Some of them I was already planning on and the others is what I was looking for.
Gear Selector Segment? What is this and how do you up grade it?
4 pole starter if older? Im working with a '94 and '95.
Gussit and brace the fame? Where would you weld braces in the frame? Ive seen the bolt on ones on the sides, dont think welding the side braces would be good for getting to the motor later.
As for the braced and notched swingarm, dont I have to get a new rear wheel to accommodate the bigger radial tire? Or is there a radial tire that will fit without a new wheel?
RAKED frame??? Na, I dont think so. I RIDE this thing. Like a motha fucka too.
I put up a video in the Video thread of the Burnout section and nobody said anything about it??? Ive never seen a NONsport bike running in the front?

Good tips. Some of them I was already planning on and the others is what I was looking for.
Gear Selector Segment? What is this and how do you up grade it?
4 pole starter if older? Im working with a '94 and '95.
Gussit and brace the fame? Where would you weld braces in the frame? Ive seen the bolt on ones on the sides, dont think welding the side braces would be good for getting to the motor later.
As for the braced and notched swingarm, dont I have to get a new rear wheel to accommodate the bigger radial tire? Or is there a radial tire that will fit without a new wheel?
RAKED frame??? Na, I dont think so. I RIDE this thing. Like a motha fucka too.
I put up a video in the Video thread of the Burnout section and nobody said anything about it??? Ive never seen a NONsport bike running in the front?

Honestly we could tell you all this but it's all here.... Use the search function...

Gusseting is done on the part of the frame in front of the back tire.

Chris

True. Ill search it when I get closer. Wait If Im about to paint, I should weld first. Shit. Off to search. Its that I just get lost and spend so much time reading all this stuff. New project. Go and get some bee boxs, theres a swarm ah rollin around out side now. I want my hives back. Honey Honey. So much to do. aaaahhhh.....:bang head:

True. Ill search it when I get closer. Wait If Im about to paint, I should weld first. Shit. Off to search. Its that I just get lost and spend so much time reading all this stuff. New project. Go and get some bee boxs, theres a swarm ah rollin around out side now. I want my hives back. Honey Honey. So much to do. aaaahhhh.....:bang head:

Dunno how long you've had your sig, but what is a Hell's Angle? Can you use a set-square or a protractor to measure it? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: lol:rofl_200:

Hello everybody thanks for all the great info you have collected in this forum. I'm new to the forum and I'm in the same situation as Freerider. I have a Vmax waiting to be put together.
my Vmax is 1991; the motor is running fine, but I will need to change the frame because is bended . I have to do a lot of stet tic work on her. Also I need a new fork. I will try to do all the upgrades as possible at this moment.
Some of the thing am planning to do are the one you guys already mentioned here, like
sift segment, HD oil cure, clutch, etc.
so will will see me a lot around here!:)
Sorry freerider to hijack your thread. :p
I will start my own soon!

Dunno how long you've had your sig, but what is a Hell's Angle? Can you use a set-square or a protractor to measure it? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh: lol:rofl_200:

Oh shit. At first I was like what the fuck is this Dude talking about.:ummm: Now I see. haha. Me carpenter, read numbers, not spell words. :rofl_200:

I think I was drunk when I joined and did all the set up stuff. :cheers:

LOST. So much to read. Its gotta be the longest novel yet. Found some pics on another site of the frame gussetts. Easy. Gonna gut em out tonight after I feed these little buggers.
4gasem, I tried using the search thing and it didnt come with much. Hit and miss. I actually did a yahoo search and found a thread on here that the VMF search didnt pull up. Im sure im using it wrong. Can I use this computer with a hammer?

Kakis, no worrys. You know, this is my first forum and I just figured out what "hijacking" a thread is. Im guilty a few times over.

So I apologize to those whos treads and post Ive treded on.
Now I understand how it all works in here.

I just got a nice set of 2003 forks in (with triples) would be a good upgrade for the 91 (though we have a few of those years too).

Sean

So from the reading Ive done, its looks as if the only gussetts are in the four corners of the rectangle above the center stand. Easy enough. My instinct is to gusset every inside corner, but I have a habit of over building things. Is there any other strategic areas to stiffen up?

So from the reading Ive done, its looks as if the only gussetts are in the four corners of the rectangle above the center stand. Easy enough. My instinct is to gusset every inside corner, but I have a habit of over building things. Is there any other strategic areas to stiffen up?

YES SIR!

:eusa_dance:

I know if I took my bike that far down with plans to repaint the frame I would do as much as possible. Some flex is a good thing though. Too much is bad of course.

Please post some pics here of the gussets.

Chris

Got some rough cut so far, fit em to night. But im gonna weld em at friends shop who has the gas welder, I only have the big Lincoln Arc buzz box. Its gonna get painted over there too. So pics next week after paint. But now I gotta try and get this old ford tractor to start.:confused2: Dang thing. Ive got 6' weeds.:bang head::bang head:

Back