A few simple cosmetic mods + forward controls

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO ALL pillion back rests are spine breakers (and they look gay).

Get rid of it.

I agree. The vmax looks so much better without it. But, wifey wont ride without one and it makes life so much easier to be able to throw a bag on and strap it to the back rest.

I agree. The vmax looks so much better without it. But, wifey wont ride without one and it makes life so much easier to be able to throw a bag on and strap it to the back rest.

What a great chance to be riding alone!!!... :biglaugh:
My wife doesn't ride with me. I don't like it and mainly because she doesn't like it as well so i can do whatever i want... LOL

I agree with the sentiment here. I got a backrest for the wife and she likes it. I really can't get over how little difference it makes when she is riding back there, compared to my last bike which was an 08 zx6r. I absolutely hate the look of the backrest but happy wife and all..

I'm keeping my backrest for the wife as well. When I bought the bike it only had the backrest. The stock grab bar was mia. I ordered a stock grab bar and I'm going to swap to that for now. The wife won't be riding for at least a year (pregnant). I will swap it back out when she is ready to start riding again.

IMO ALL pillion back rests are spine breakers (and they look gay).

Get rid of it.
Mr. Glenco -
Tend to agree, back rests spoil the lines of most any motorcycle.
But in my case, I needed extra height to incorporate the auxiliary gas tank filler neck, cap, and cover, so a backrest assembly was a logical choice.
My wife appreciates the added security the rest provides.
....and my gay friends like the looks of it. Most of them have a keen eye for fashion and design.:punk:
Whatever floats your boat. Cheers!

Attachments

• rear seat and backrest assembly.jpg
    rear seat and backrest assembly.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Aux gas tank filler neck.jpg
    Aux gas tank filler neck.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Backrest and filler cover.jpg
    Backrest and filler cover.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 58
That is why I like the Corbin seat backrest. Easy to add/remove and not quite as noticeable when installed but still comfortable for the passenger. I have the old style that has the small pouch on the backside.

Sorry about the huge bag. It is a Nelson-Rigg that has a solar kit available for charging phones, GPS, etc. It fits in that area on the top of the bag. Was testing it out on the rack made by our member. It works great. I can also use my Givi trunk with it. None of these will fit with the OEM rack.

Attachments

• Corbin Backrest - R.jpg
    Corbin Backrest - R.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Right - 1-2 - R.jpg
    Right - 1-2 - R.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Left - 1-2 - R.jpg
    Left - 1-2 - R.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 60
If you look closely, you can see the black plastic Givi trunk bracket under the bag. It bolts on and I just leave it on and can swap bag for trunk if I need lockable storage.

+1 on the backrest, I do not like the looks of them and will fight tooth and nail if the wife ever wants one. I like the looks of the bike without it. As for the scoops, I'm beginning to see the lure of setting the scoops off with a lighter color so you can see them. There is one other vMax on Guam and his scoops are black like mine and to anyone else, you wouldn't know its a vMax without a very close look. I'll have to change mine when I strip the bike down starting in Novemebr when I return
hegagade.jpg
I would like to insert some red LEDs behind the scoops front covers and have them on at night, kind of like a pair of red eyes looking at you.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

Great looking bike, Sgt. Justiss.
I'm quickly becoming a fan of the blacked-out, "stealth" look. Much easier to keep presentable, and a lot less elbow grease required.
As for chrome/polished areas - with a nearly all-black background, these really stand out. "Less is better"
As far as the scoops go, I'm in agreement with most. They define the Max. In your case, even polishing/chroming the top section only would set the bike off. The chrome would naturally draw your eye to the polished diaphragm covers.
Cheers!

See PATMAX to custom coat those scoops for you!
You can go to a silver vein which will bring out the scoops without all the loudness and still reveal all the contours. Two color is a tasteful easy treatment also.
Even going from a gloss black to a flat or satin black can make all the difference you might want. Tons of possibilities!
Nice Bagger by the way!

Thanks for the compliments, the bags were a must when all I had was my bike for a few months. I had a lot of stuff to carry everyday and I was sick and tired of wearing a backpack all the time. The two tone on the scoops sound awesome, let me get my creative juices flowing and I'll get back to you on pricing.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

Thanks for the compliments, the bags were a must when all I had was my bike for a few months. I had a lot of stuff to carry everyday and I was sick and tired of wearing a backpack all the time. The two tone on the scoops sound awesome, let me get my creative juices flowing and I'll get back to you on pricing.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

What bags are those and how are they mounted? Look good and follow the Max lines well.

M-man, the bags are from fatmax.com. Very well made, water proof and solid mounting hardware. The bags have two points on the top that slide into hollow points on the mounting frame and one bolt with a wing nut on the bottom. The mounting frame bolts onto the bike in two spots, one is the stock blinker holes on the grab bar and the other is a hole on the front of the grab bar I believe for the factory backrest mount, not sure. All I did was trim one inch from the bolts allowing the bags to be brought in closer to the bike. The original bolts allow the bags to be mounted with the backrest mounted as well. The bags also have a waterproof liner that zips up and can be carried like a small gym bag.
sy4ugeve.jpg
tahybe2u.jpg

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

It's been forever since I posted, but you guys were right -- it was a little too monochromatic. So I changed it up just a little.

Attachments

• 20140325_193908.jpg
    20140325_193908.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 20140325_193847.jpg
    20140325_193847.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 20140325_193828.jpg
    20140325_193828.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20140325_193808.jpg
    20140325_193808.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20140325_193742.jpg
    20140325_193742.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 54
Have to say, that is a sharp looking bike. Not one for forward controls, myself, but if they work better for you than the stock controls, then they are an excellent thing to have. (I might consider cruise pegs mounted on some engine guards, myself, just to give my hips a change of position for a few moments when needed.)

I notice a lot of riders have the small flyscreen style windshield on their Maxes. I found I needed more wind protection, so I got myself a Memphis Shades Malibu windshield.
10402817_10203290143829720_6257609747655255017_n.jpg

I do love how well it works, but I will have to make some modifications to it to get it just exactly how I need it.

I would LOVE to get a set of bags like these on 1st Shirt's bike.
hegagade.jpg

As for the back rest, I find my Cycle-istic unit quite useful combined with the luggage rack. I can carry a decent size travel bag with it.

Yes a good improvement, looks well thought out for the overall scheme. I like the fork gaiters and the grey trim is just right for the pieces done.

Back