A little about my ride

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleDeth

Reaction score
Hi all! Well I'm a proud owner of an 86. I got it in January. I wanted a harley dresser, but then came across the vmax. Easy choice right? I have put almost 1k on it now, and yes its cold in Indiana. So Now that I have gotten acquainted with my new best friend, she has some small issues. Firstly about the bike:

It's an 86, the guy I got it from (if I remember correctly that is) said he got it from a guy named John? from planet vmax. The guy I got it from only rode it 420 miles in the one year he owned it. (Is he scared of it or is it junk?) It has a stage 7, dragstar exhaust, with pods and vboost removed. As far as I know that's it on mods.

1. The first and scariest thing is the wobble!. When I bought it it wobbled at 45-50 and the previous owner said it wobbles when over 100mph. I put a new tire on the front and that solved the low speed wobble. So it was time to try 100+, was to scared to before, after a tank slapper at 40, 100 was outta the question. Well at 105 there it was, it wasn't like the low speed wobble. This was a slow wobble that could of escalated quickly. The bars actually felt weird at that speed, i guess kinda like really really easy to turn the bar and everything was exaggerated. I have been 150+ before so its not newness to the speed. Maybe I just don't know how to say the feeling I had. I have a new head bearing but afraid to dive into it and mess up, but they want over 250 bucks at the shop. So I don't know what I going to do about that one.

2. The clutch is slipping at high rpm. So I plan to replace the clutch and do the DD mod. I tried changing the oil just to make sure but didn't help anything.

3. Then there's the carbs. I'm pretty sure that a pilot jets clogged. If I do a shotgun clean will I have to do any adjustments when I'm done. Like the head bearing I'm just afraid to mess something up.

Oh damn... I just remembered and this should probably be number one, the hot start problem. I started to do the crimp fix, but realized i have a propane issue so that's on hold. The starter ground fix don't sound to hard just have to find time.

Guess I just wanted to say hi, tell ya about my bike and thank all of you for the great source of knowledge about the vmax.

You came to the right place. Plenty of knowledgeable people here. Congrats on your bike and welcome.

Welcome to the forum! big difference in bike choice from an HD Dresser to a Vmax.

Now - :ttiwwp:

Let's see that Vmax

Mike

Hi all! Well I'm a proud owner of an 86. I got it in January. I wanted a harley dresser, but then came across the vmax. Easy choice right? I have put almost 1k on it now, and yes its cold in Indiana. So Now that I have gotten acquainted with my new best friend, she has some small issues. Firstly about the bike:

It's an 86, the guy I got it from (if I remember correctly that is) said he got it from a guy named John? from planet vmax. The guy I got it from only rode it 420 miles in the one year he owned it. (Is he scared of it or is it junk?) It has a stage 7, dragstar exhaust, with pods and vboost removed. As far as I know that's it on mods.

1. The first and scariest thing is the wobble!. When I bought it it wobbled at 45-50 and the previous owner said it wobbles when over 100mph. I put a new tire on the front and that solved the low speed wobble. So it was time to try 100+, was to scared to before, after a tank slapper at 40, 100 was outta the question. Well at 105 there it was, it wasn't like the low speed wobble. This was a slow wobble that could of escalated quickly. The bars actually felt weird at that speed, i guess kinda like really really easy to turn the bar and everything was exaggerated. I have been 150+ before so its not newness to the speed. Maybe I just don't know how to say the feeling I had. I have a new head bearing but afraid to dive into it and mess up, but they want over 250 bucks at the shop. So I don't know what I going to do about that one.

2. The clutch is slipping at high rpm. So I plan to replace the clutch and do the DD mod. I tried changing the oil just to make sure but didn't help anything.

3. Then there's the carbs. I'm pretty sure that a pilot jets clogged. If I do a shotgun clean will I have to do any adjustments when I'm done. Like the head bearing I'm just afraid to mess something up.

Oh damn... I just remembered and this should probably be number one, the hot start problem. I started to do the crimp fix, but realized i have a propane issue so that's on hold. The starter ground fix don't sound to hard just have to find time.

Guess I just wanted to say hi, tell ya about my bike and thank all of you for the great source of knowledge about the vmax.

check out morleys video on bearing preload adjustment. that should help your shake, but if the bearings are original i'd replace them. they're kind of a pain, well the lower outer race is.

i'd do a pcw clutch if it were me. the DD is a lot on the system and your hand with a stock master cylinder. and I have a DD.

1. Try to adjust the bearings first. Could just be loose. Sean Morley made a youtube video how to. If that doesn't help, replace them. There are step by step instruction in the how to section of the forum

2. If you open it up, inspect the friction plates and measure thickness. If worn below service limits, replace. OEM frictions are great. Inspect the steels for warpage. Bead blast or scotchbrite 'em to get the old burnt stuff off. Synthetic oils can cause slippage. The DD holds with an iron grip. The PCW clutch spring is a bit less intense and is a popular alternative.

3. The shotgun and peashooter wont require adjustments other than turning the AF screws. Note where they are when you start and put em back when done. Neither will fix up a clogged pilot jet. That will require disassembly.

4. Check the how to's for starter repair. It will show how to disassemble and clean the starter. Might want to check out RaWarrior's electrical sticky for some further info on how to clean up the electrical system.

Welcome to the forum......as mentioned, lots good threads and folks to help out....

Sounds like you should look into that wobble.....a front end fork oil chg and spring upgrade won't hurt also....progressives are a great upgrade and affordable

Now - :ttiwwp:

Only one I have atm is the same as my avatar but here it is

Attachments

• P1120006.jpg
    P1120006.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 27
Some good advice has already been given regarding most/all of your questions, So I'll just say Welcome and enjoy the ride once you get her sorted out :)

Welcome Pale Deth, nice to have you introduce yourself, If you live in Indiana be sure to keep an eye on the rides section as us Mi Hooligans are always getting something going!!.....................Tom.

All problems easily resolved! I have virtually ALL the clutch types available to me. HD spring (PCW type), DD Spring, Barnett Coil Conversion, and Even the early venture coil conversion. I can get lockup's and even a cool auto clutch (got to get one for myself and try it out).

Our tension test for the bearings may resolve the wobble (also check your air pressures).

I've got good used stock 4 brush starters, new 4 brush OEM starters, and new aftermarket units. Your early starter is a 2 brush and notorious for hot start problems. Getting a larger battery or higher output battery (Lithium Ion) can delay the need to replace but eventually you'll need one.

Try fixing what you can yourself with the boards help. I don't think you can mess something up we can't fix lol!

Thank you guys! It's great having people that know what they are talking about, right at your finger tips.

I've got good used stock 4 brush starters, new 4 brush OEM starters, and new aftermarket units. Your early starter is a 2 brush and notorious for hot start problems. Getting a larger battery or higher output battery (Lithium Ion) can delay the need to replace but eventually you'll need one.

So should I rather than fix the starter that is in, buy a 4 brush starter to replace it? I would also still need to perform the ground fix to the 4 brush start before installing it, right?

Steering head bearings are a p.i.t.a. To change. The lower race needs to have a bead of weld run around the face to shrink it so it will fall out. Others cut it with dremel's or die grinders, but the results make it worth the trouble. I'm pretty sure you will find notches worn in the races. With new properly adjusted bearings you'll be pleasantly surprised how well it rides.

Latest posts

Back