A Question about removing the rear fender

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I know where the bolts are that hold the rear fender on but I'm not quite sure about the bottom and how I disconnect the plastic liner of the fender. I dropped something down inside the fender well and need to take it apart to get it and I'd also like to learn how to disassemble the rear fender.

I can feel under the fender something that feels like plastic fasteners that need to be pulled out for the fender to come off. Can someone please tell me the best way to disconnect the fender from the inner liner with those fasteners ?

Thanks
Ron

UPDATE: No need to reply I found what I needed to know.

The center pin needs to be pulled out to relieve the locking "fingers" on the outer sleeve of the plastic housing.

The center pin needs to be pulled out to relieve the locking "fingers" on the outer sleeve of the plastic housing.

I have already found the answer to my question but thanks for taking the time to reply.
Thanks again

I ending up prying the whole thing out a bit and the center popped out. I couldn't see how to get that center pin to come out without doing it the way I did.
What is the proper way to pop those plastic pins out?

Thanks
Ron

Push the center pin IN. That unlocks those type fasteners. Then you gently pry the whole assy out by it's outer edges. Then, upon reassembly, you 'reset' the fastener by pushing the center pin back out, past flush, before reinserting it into the hole. After getting it back into the hole in the fender, you simply push the pin back in to 'flush', like you found it to begin with.

Push the center pin IN. That unlocks those type fasteners. Then you gently pry the whole assy out by it's outer edges. Then, upon reassembly, you 'reset' the fastener by pushing the center pin back out, past flush, before reinserting it into the hole. After getting it back into the hole in the fender, you simply push the pin back in to 'flush', like you found it to begin with.

Thank You very much!!!

That is what I found out sort of, I just got under the circle and pried the whole round clip and then the middle released.

How in the heck can you pull the pin out??????

Read this thread IN or OUT ????

Believe it or not, there's actually a youtube video showing how they work. At least, this is how the plastic rivets under my 09's fender work. There are a few of this type on our Hondas as well.

In the automotive industry, I've noticed, they tend to use the type Sean is describing how to remove.....where you have to place a very thin screwdriver under a lip of the center pin, and pry it OUTward. Those style rivets don't close all the way flush when installed. ...whereas... ..the ones on our Gen II's have the flush center pin that is released by pushing them farther INward.

Go ride the bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8xXyzlVibA

Thanks for the video link, it makes more sense when you see it being done. I couldn't figure how they worked so I just pried under the lips and it was enough to release the center pin without breaking any. I guess I was just lucky. Now knowing how they work will help me for as long as I own something that uses this kind of connectors.
I knew Sean knew his stuff and I believed him but couldn't figure it out so I got all mine out by just prying gently under the circle. So many things in life for me at least are much easier to understand when I see it rather than read it.

Thanks again that is a link I will keep for a long time.

Back