A very serious pecker!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is 2 days work for a 'Piliated Woodpecker' I've been watching out the living room window.

Pretty fierce looking bird they are 16" to 19" tall and have a wingspan of 2 to 2 1/2 feet. I'll never get a pic of one because they are extremely shy, and I don't have a telephoto lens, but we have 3 or 4 of them hanging around the woods here.

The garden tractor is there to provide some scale.

Attachments

• Pecker damage.jpg
    Pecker damage.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 127
  • Pecker damage II.jpg
    Pecker damage II.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 126
  • Pecker damage III.jpg
    Pecker damage III.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 121
Pecker my ass ! Thats more like a woodchipper with wings. The little peckers down here only leave little bb sized holes, but are pretty noisy.I bet he makes a hell of a lot of noise

we get those wood peckers here too,
They come to my suet feeders on occasion.

Must have been some good eatin in that tree...

I had one hanging around for a while. The thing was HUGE! At least two meals huge.

I think he was eating the chupracabras :rofl_200:

I HAD A FEW DRINKS IN ME LAST NIGHT , " I HAD A WOOD PECKER " :biglaugh::rofl_200:

This is 2 days work for a 'Piliated Woodpecker' I've been watching out the living room window.

Pretty fierce looking bird they are 16" to 19" tall and have a wingspan of 2 to 2 1/2 feet. I'll never get a pic of one because they are extremely shy, and I don't have a telephoto lens, but we have 3 or 4 of them hanging around the woods here.

The garden tractor is there to provide some scale.
SHIT, I THINK THAT WOODPECKER IS PISSED OFF AT THAT TREE FOR SOME REASON ! :character36:

Actually Dan i don't think a wood pecker did that damage to your tree,Looks like the work of a north american porcupine. They have a healthy appetite for wood and tree bark and they are excellent climbers and also known for destroying trees...

Actually Dan i don't think a wood pecker did that damage to your tree,Looks like the work of a north american porcupine. They have a healthy appetite for wood and tree bark and they are excellent climbers and also known for destroying trees...

Even though I saw the woodpecker on that tree, the shredded wood had me a little puzzled. The 'peckers usually leave long deep gouges in the tree trunk, this is the first time I have seen them do this to a tree.
It does look like something was scratching on it.

I will check this out first thing in the am, if it's a porcupeller then the dog outings will have to be supervised.

Even though I saw the woodpecker on that tree, the shredded wood had me a little puzzled. The 'peckers usually leave long deep gouges in the tree trunk, this is the first time I have seen them do this to a tree.
It does look like something was scratching on it.

I will check this out first thing in the am, if it's a porcupeller then the dog outings will have to be supervised.
IT LOOKS TO ME LIKE YOU HAD A LITTLE TO MUCH TO DRINK & HIT IT WITH YOUR TRUCK ! " FRIGGING WOODPECKER ":rofl_200:

Bill, I think you hit it right on the head (Good eye)! I went back out this morning to check the tree out and could see lots of tiny puncture marks, very much like cat claw marks.
Apparently the woodpecker I saw was just stopping by to see if the porcupine left any grub. (grubs?)
Here is a pic of the gouge a piliated w'pecker leaves, it is about 3' high and 8" or 10" deep. These gouges make good homes for mice, monks and other woodland rodentry, as long as the 'pecker is finished!
Most of the fresh damage is from the porcupine.

Attachments

• Pecker I.jpg
    Pecker I.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Pecker II.jpg
    Pecker II.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 48
A Grizzly probably did that. I would have a bunch of grenades on standby just in case! :biglaugh:

The mystery is solved. Definitely is that "big pecker" raising hell with the tree. Wifey and I watched him out the front window this morning, he whacks away at the tree, and as he moves downward it leaves those long shaggy pieces hanging.
He's a worker man, it won't be long and that tree's gonna come down. It's hard to believe how big the chunks are that fly off his beak, looks like he's working with a hatchet 'stead of just his pecker! :biglaugh:

Back