ABS brakes on a 1st Gen Venture ???? Tweety Wants them !!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingy

Reaction score
Getting closer to winter and I have been mulling over the idea of fitting a set of ABS brakes to Tweety for its annual winter upgrade.

Not as far fetched as it may seem. The technology is out there and proven. It is just a matter of integrating an existing system onto a 1st gen Venture. Then there is that little testing issue, but that comes later.

Mounting the rotational sensors seems like a relatively straight forward target. When I put the VMax wheel on the front I had to put spacers on each side due to narrower hub, so the front end is easy, the rear would be a tad more of a challenge.

Finding room for the control unit seems possible in one of the fairing pockets.

Then it would come down to plumbing in the lines, which should be relativity simple given the custom made stainless lines available.

There are ABS controllers available at Pinwall scrappers now & then.

Does anyone have any technical info on the inner workings of a MC system? Or any insight as to if this is doable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system

Gary

Never tried and I know performance riders usually remove them to gain greater feel and control. It should be able to work though not sure about the weight bias and programming that may be needed.

Sean

I guess it's settled then. Tweety needs a gen 2 motor.

That would perk up performance a bit........and the look on the Concourse 14 owner at the next stoplight would be priceless! :ummm:

The speed sensors are routed through the main ECU on a Gen 2 VMax. I'm not sure how much if any of the control is done there though.

Here is a link to the Gen 2 manual there is a big section on the ABS system.

http://vmaxguru.com/Tech/Gen2/Files/09vmax.pdf

Thanks for PDF.

That would then eliminate the 2nd gen VMax with the TCI interconnects.

I'm hoping that an earlier year model would be a little more simplified, but still have the ABS functions, maybe a 2000 era BMW or similar.

Gary

How about the FJR1300 or even the predcessor and bike that started it all. The GTS1000. That should be earlier in the technology game so it should have had less stuff tied in with it.

How about the FJR1300 or even the predcessor and bike that started it all. The GTS1000. That should be earlier in the technology game so it should have had less stuff tied in with it.

FJ's also had ABS as an option in the 90's...maybe earlier too.

The GTS was the first for Yamaha and I think maybe most manufacturers. It wasn't until many years later that it was available on the FJ's. Linked braking was done in between which many hate too.

I think the FJ1200 & the GTS came out the same year w/ABS-1993?

The GTS uses the FZR 5-valve engine which first came out as a 1000 cc version in 1987. That's the model I have had since 1988 when I bought it from my friend who bought it new in Ft. Lauderdale FL. Mine was the model tested at 122 RWHP which was just ahead of the VMax of the day which was dynoed at 119 RWHP. And, since the FZR1000 weighed over 100 lbs. less than the VMax, w/better aerodynamics to say nothing of its wide-dimension extruded & cast-aluminum frame and better suspension components, was just a better all-around spec bike. The GSXR 1100 frame looks spindly by comparison. The FZR1000 was the basis for the GTS, w/the addition of front & rear swingarm suspensions tied-to the GTS Omega frame & ABS.

Latest posts

Back