air scoops with l.e.d.s?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeltaz83

Reaction score
Has anyone taken the air scoops and actually drilled out the "YAMAHA" and put lights behind them? i was toying with the idea, it would look pretty cool they would be black, till you turned the key on and they lit up with whatever color light you have behind them. i was thinking blue, since blue is a yami color, and it would look good with my silver on black vmax. might be something i might do this winter. :eusa_dance:

There's a pic somewhere on here of something like that. I think the cutting would be the interesting part.

There was a post In '08/'09 that detailed the work but I cannot find it for the life of me! Hopefully someone will remember the member that posted it up.

If I remember correctly he was very technically fussy with how the LED's looked as he wanted a even lighting behind the letters. It turned out nice as I remember. I found one post about using leds and scoops but the picture links were broken and not written detail of how it turned out.

We are working on one we did some green LEDs a few years back but it's currently back to just the opening of the letters. The easiest way to get the scoop ready is simply sand the back down until you open up the letters. Gives a nice crisp line without having to try and grind the letters out.

Attachments

• IMG_20130224_163819_918.jpg
    IMG_20130224_163819_918.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 72
]I've seen some things like this. They took some plexiglass and put the LEDs in the edges so that the light shone into the 'glass and sanded the surface this caused a colored/frosted look with the color saturation being very uniform. I don't recall if they sanded the 'back' or 'front' of the plexiglass. As for the LEDs look into the stuff being used to light up model planes.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EaiYFuJO39o[/URL

See if Scott Mellor has a photo of his bike on here , I know he has done the red LED's all over the bike and behind the scoops . His bike is a work of art , I will try and see if I have any pictures of it and post if possible. Later Kurt

]I've seen some things like this. They took some plexiglass and put the LEDs in the edges so that the light shone into the 'glass and sanded the surface this caused a colored/frosted look with the color saturation being very uniform. I don't recall if they sanded the 'back' or 'front' of the plexiglass. As for the LEDs look into the stuff being used to light up model planes.

Thats the correct way to do it. The light will spread evenly but the leds have to be pointing perpendicular to the cut edge so the light goes parallel to the surfaces. the leds make the light color.

1286680039958_hz-myalibaba-web13_4467.jpg

If I remember correctly he was very technically fussy with how the LED's looked as he wanted a even lighting behind the letters. It turned out nice as I remember. I found one post about using leds and scoops but the picture links were broken and not written detail of how it turned out.

Thats the correct way to do it. The light will spread evenly but the leds have to be pointing perpendicular to the cut edge so the light goes parallel to the surfaces. the leds make the light color.

That looks great. I have a couple of pieces of smoked plexiglass I want to do a custom view for my A/V cabinet doors in the garage but I don't have much talent for artistic projects like this sadly. So nothing has happened yet.

I remember that post too. Your right Brian. The author was in that field of work or something and was trying to get the light "just right". I would like to see that post again if anyone is successful in finding it.

Has anyone taken the air scoops and actually drilled out the "YAMAHA" and put lights behind them? i was toying with the idea, it would look pretty cool they would be black, till you turned the key on and they lit up with whatever color light you have behind them. i was thinking blue, since blue is a yami color, and it would look good with my silver on black vmax. might be something i might do this winter. :eusa_dance:

Be careful....Most states won't let you run red or blue lighting...........

Cool.
I've been thinkin bout this myself.

It would be cool if you could make it get brighter as you bring up the RPMs..:clapping:

Be careful....Most states won't let you run red or blue lighting...........

In Maine, the laws allow you to have whatever coloring, as long as you are not operating it on the road. If on the road, it can only be auxiliary marker lights. Half the time, they do not bother you if it aint blue, or appear to be flashing like an emergency vehicle.

I had them in mine, facing forward. I removed them because I was worried about johnny law giving me a second look.

Back