Alignment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Have you guys checked your front to rear offset/alignment.? What home method is most accurate?

Have you guys checked your front to rear offset/alignment.? What home method is most accurate?

I've never checked but I would think the easiest way is with a laser line on the floor. Use any power tool/level that comes with a laser line held up over the center of the bike and see how it lines up on the front and back tire.

My rear is over to the right a good 3/8" with the radial conversion... It was enough for it to rub the inner fender which it has done enough to make room for itself...:whistlin:

I don't notice any issues with handling.

I have to be real cautious with alignment with my SV as it's chain driven but never put any thought into the Max...

Can you change the rear wheel alignment somehow?:ummm: :confused2:

My understanding is that the rear wheel can be adjusted slightly if you have 2 of the right side SA pivot bolts and you have the room to do it.

My understanding is that the rear wheel can be adjusted slightly if you have 2 of the right side SA pivot bolts and you have the room to do it.

I retorqed the swingarm pivot bolt but never paid attention to being able to adjust anything...:ummm:

As Davidon was saying, If you use two tensioning type swingarm pivot bolts (right side type), you can actually adjust the swingarm left or right to get it aligned where you want it. The left side is normally a set dimension in, if you swap it with the other type simply set the distance you want then lock the jam nut, then torque the right side like normal and lock it's jam nut. This works great to get additional clearance for the driveshaft in the swingarm.

Sean

As Davidon was saying, If you use two tensioning type swingarm pivot bolts (right side type), you can actually adjust the swingarm left or right to get it aligned where you want it. The left side is normally a set dimension in, if you swap it with the other type simply set the distance you want then lock the jam nut, then torque the right side like normal and lock it's jam nut. This works great to get additional clearance for the driveshaft in the swingarm.

Sean

Sorry... Completely LOST now! :ummm:

Mine is stock so I am going to leave it...:whistlin:

I've never looked at my swingarm pivot bolts, so I can't picture what a tensioning type swingarm pivot bolt looks like. A picture would be great if you get the time. An internet search was equally fruitless. I'll pop off my right side cover to take a look when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Steve

Sean

I've never looked at my swingarm pivot bolts, so I can't picture what a tensioning type swingarm pivot bolt looks like. A picture would be great if you get the time. An internet search was equally fruitless. I'll pop off my right side cover to take a look when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Steve

Just pop the caps off each side and have a look.

Page 282 of the service manual found here for more details:

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/VMX12-Service-Manual.pdf

:cheers:

Neil

Think of the left side SA bolt as a large allen head bolt and think of the right side as a large set screw. The frame limits how far you can tighten the left hand side bolt before it hits the frame. On the right side there is no head on the bolt so it can be tightened past the frame. if you put the same set screw bolt on the left side you can then tighten past the frame (ie move the swingarm over more to the right) if so desired.

Think of the left side SA bolt as a large allen head bolt and think of the right side as a large set screw. The frame limits how far you can tighten the left hand side bolt before it hits the frame. On the right side there is no head on the bolt so it can be tightened past the frame. if you put the same set screw bolt on the left side you can then tighten past the frame (ie move the swingarm over more to the right) if so desired.

Ahh... Gotcha!

the factory bolt on the left side (as described) is normally just torqued to 80 lbs of torque then the lock tab bent in place. Then you set the tension with the right side "set screw" bolt to 3-5ft lbs (or so) and then torque the jam nut to 80 lbs. If you get another one of those bolts and nuts then you set the swingarm location first with the right side (or left side) and torque the jam nut. Then repeat for the other side setting the correct light tension then torque it's jam nut. Too far over and the cap covers won't go into place or worse the driveshaft will rub on the inside of the swingarm (really have to be moving it a lot to do that on a stock swingarm - this is an easy way to get a deeper notch and allow for an even larger tire though!).

Sean

I got the jist of the thing now, thanks for the info. It will come in handy when I fool with the swingarm. I guess you have to re-align every time you remove the swingarm.

the factory bolt on the left side (as described) is normally just torqued to 80 lbs of torque then the lock tab bent in place. Then you set the tension with the right side "set screw" bolt to 3-5ft lbs (or so) and then torque the jam nut to 80 lbs. If you get another one of those bolts and nuts then you set the swingarm location first with the right side (or left side) and torque the jam nut. Then repeat for the other side setting the correct light tension then torque it's jam nut. Too far over and the cap covers won't go into place or worse the driveshaft will rub on the inside of the swingarm (really have to be moving it a lot to do that on a stock swingarm - this is an easy way to get a deeper notch and allow for an even larger tire though!).

Sean

A Vmaxer once told me to keep an eye on the 3-5lbs of torque on the swingarm. When the bearings breakin you need to tighten it up. I checked mine this last winter with 1200 miles on it and it was under the spec...:bang head: It's all good now!:clapping:

Back