Another Carburetor Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

94 V-Max Rider

Reaction score
Okay, so I installed my float needle and seat. While I had everything apart, I decided to clean the the carburetors. Then I noticed something: One of the carburetor throttle butterflies is stamped with the number "130". The remaining butterflies are stamped with the number "125" . I went through the jetting and everything is 49 state (non-California) stock. I bought these carburetors used several years back. Is it possible that someone interchanged a carburetor? If so, does this discrepancy mean anything? As far as I can tell, the "odd" carburetor is exactly the same as the other three right down to the carburetor bore size. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• V-Max Carbs.jpg
    V-Max Carbs.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 49
Danny will probably be able to tell you, but I think there was (at least) one year where the Ventures had 35mm carbs (same as V-max). They would have had different jetting, though. If that is true, it's entirely possible that someone swapped in a venture body and put the v-max jets in it. I have a whole set of venture carbs on one of my bikes... built by Danny, of course. They're 34s, but they run great (ran... until my fuel pump pumped them full of rust dust). That's the only thing I can think of, unless they are a different thickness for some reason. I don't think that would be a measurement in thousandths of an inch, though. Pretty sure they butterflies aren't that thick anyway.

Danny will probably be able to tell you, but I think there was (at least) one year where the Ventures had 35mm carbs (same as V-max). They would have had different jetting, though. If that is true, it's entirely possible that someone swapped in a venture body and put the v-max jets in it. I have a whole set of venture carbs on one of my bikes... built by Danny, of course. They're 34s, but they run great (ran... until my fuel pump pumped them full of rust dust). That's the only thing I can think of, unless they are a different thickness for some reason. I don't think that would be a measurement in thousandths of an inch, though. Pretty sure they butterflies aren't that thick anyway.
I was just searching the forums and came across the following with no answer (at least publicly):

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=10576

It seems as though it may be a California carburetor. I'll measure again, but I'm pretty sure it's a 34mm. I'll measure the thickness of the butterfly later on today when I get back to my garage. I just had to go snooping around. :bang head:

They are both 35mm carbs and will work fine.

As for a comprehensive explanation of throttle plate numbering? I'm not sure there is one....they range from 125 to 145 in multiples of 5.............125, 130, 135.....etc. usually the higher numbers are found in the smaller Venture carbs.

It isn't unusual to find a throttle plate with a different number from the others in the rack....may be a Venture carb, a VMax with a different number.....hard to say why, and doesn't matter as long as they are all 35mm. I have even seen 34mm Venture carbs in with VMax carbs....this isn't a good thing, they should match.

The 34mm's will work fine in the Max as long as they are jetted properly, great for in-town driving, good throttle, smooth running....maybe cost a couple % on total horsepower. I ran some on my '99 for a season and really liked them.

Going to work up a set of 34mm's this summer with a Factory Pro jet kit, be interesting to see how they turn out.

Okay, so I installed my float needle and seat. While I had everything apart, I decided to clean the the carburetors. Then I noticed something: One of the carburetor throttle butterflies is stamped with the number "130". The remaining butterflies are stamped with the number "125" . I went through the jetting and everything is 49 state (non-California) stock. I bought these carburetors used several years back. Is it possible that someone interchanged a carburetor? If so, does this discrepancy mean anything? As far as I can tell, the "odd" carburetor is exactly the same as the other three right down to the carburetor bore size. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

That does appear to be a swapped carb on the right, judging from the corrosion on the sync linkage....very different from the left one.

good eye dan I was gonna mention that also....one doesnt look like the others lol

They are both 35mm carbs and will work fine.

As for a comprehensive explanation of throttle plate numbering? I'm not sure there is one....they range from 125 to 145 in multiples of 5.............125, 130, 135.....etc. usually the higher numbers are found in the smaller Venture carbs.

It isn't unusual to find a throttle plate with a different number from the others in the rack....may be a Venture carb, a VMax with a different number.....hard to say why, and doesn't matter as long as they are all 35mm. I have even seen 34mm Venture carbs in with VMax carbs....this isn't a good thing, they should match.

The 34mm's will work fine in the Max as long as they are jetted properly, great for in-town driving, good throttle, smooth running....maybe cost a couple % on total horsepower. I ran some on my '99 for a season and really liked them.

Going to work up a set of 34mm's this summer with a Factory Pro jet kit, be interesting to see how they turn out.
I was looking on http://partsfish.com and in the service manual. According to the supplementary service manual for the 1993 V-Max, the carb size is 35 mm, but other models show 34 mm. Strange thing is, Parts Fish shows one part number as working for almost all model years. I measured 34 mm myself. I'm gonna head down to the garage in a bit to re-measure and do a little more looking around. I'm beginning to wonder if Yamaha knows what they're doing.

I was looking on http://partsfish.com and in the service manual. According to the supplementary service manual for the 1993 V-Max, the carb size is 35 mm, but other models show 34 mm. Strange thing is, Parts Fish shows one part number as working for almost all model years. I measured 34 mm myself. I'm gonna head down to the garage in a bit to re-measure and do a little more looking around. I'm beginning to wonder if Yamaha knows what they're doing.

You have to wonder sometimes....:confused2:

Just to add a little more confusion I have an early model Yamaha service manual that says the carbs are 34mm....but I have never run across a 34mm VMax carburetor.

Actually, the Haynes manual says '85 - '92 were BDS34's and the BDS35's started in '93.

There may be some mix-up with European models & US models, :confused2:
I just entered the part number for a number one carburetor for a 1986 V-Max. The part number is: 1FK-14901-02-00. I put that number into the part number search and came up with the following models (remember this is a 1986 model):

http://partsfish.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_motorcycle/parts

It shows nothing before 1993, and everything from 1993-on. I need to walk away from this for awhile before I go insane.

Well, I went through the carburetors. I took measurements and examined everything closely. I see no discernible difference between the carburetors other than the number stamped on the butterflies. I want to thank Danny for his input. It's just one of those things that bothered me once I saw it. As soon as I finish cleaning everything, I'm gonna reassemble and install the carbs and see what I have.

Back