Another oil thread

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax1986

Reaction score
I know that this question has been asked a million times, but I figured to ask again. What is a good motor oil to use in my '86? And what is good gear lube to use for the rear differential? The place that i work at sells AMS-oil synthetic gear lube for $12 a quart, but Idk how good that brand is. Any info is appreciated.

I have been using Shell Rottela-T full synthetic. It is pretty good for the price, $20.00 for a gallon. There is a good write up on VMAXOUTLAW.COM

I have been using Shell Rottela-T full synthetic. It is pretty good for the price, $20.00 for a gallon. There is a good write up on VMAXOUTLAW.COM

NO its not so good for the transmission, mobile-1 T4 motorcycle specific is even better than amsoil, shifts smoother. yeah $20/ gallon but you pay dearly in transmission damage often too late to reverse the damage a $20.00/gallon does.
as for the differential use Mobil-1 75-90 synthetic.

Ok cool thanks. What about how many quarts do I need for the tranny and the diff? I dont remember how many quarts I used last time I changed the oil.

Take the bike out for a ride and warm the oils up before you change it, it will drain out a little faster than cold oil. If you can place you hand on the block with out burning your self but warm still then drain your oil.

hey guys, any issue with changing oil from 20w 50 to 10w 40 or vice versa? A normal oil change with the different oil is A OK? No problems? What about mixing them like topping one kind off with another? Thank you!

I used Shell Rotella-T (mineral) the whole time I had my '86 and it was very happy with it. Since I was in FL I used the 15W50 if I remember right.

There's no prob mixing the leftover 10W40 with fresh 20W50 or vice-versa when doing an oil change. It's best to stay with the same brand and kind (synthetic or mineral) though.

I used Shell Rotella-T (mineral) the whole time I had my '86 and it was very happy with it. Since I was in FL I used the 15W50 if I remember right.

There's no prob mixing the leftover 10W40 with fresh 20W50 or vice-versa when doing an oil change. It's best to stay with the same brand and kind (synthetic or mineral) though.

its 15-40 for the dino

5-40 for syn

Anyone put Seafoam in with the oil to clean things out?

personally i wouild NOT do that. if you change the oil regular there shouldnt be anything to clean out. especially if you use synthetic.

oh and.....plz award me with the DOH award for posting in an oil related thread.:rofl_200:

Last edited:
Im a total noob so I have no shame in participating in these oil discussions. So, last week I changed the thick black goo AKA who knows how old oil from the PO to 15w-40 shell rotella triple T.

I ended up not filling to the max line. It came up just a little bit over the min line. Well, the shifting hasn't been as smooth as desired and a couple times it was nearly impossible to shift into neutral.

I am topping off the oil today and filling it to the max line. Hopefully this will solve the clunky shift feeling?

Latest posts

Back