Any problems with Amsoil?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My girlfriends boss is a big cheese at Amsoil and thinks I should be running it in my bike. Has anyone had any problems running this oil?

I'm running Motul 10-40 dino oil right now and was thinking of trying 10-40 amsoil synthetic (whichever one meets the Yamaha requirements).

Thanks!

Some synthetic oils do not like the wet clutch. I had to replace my clutch 600 miles after putting Mobil One in my vmax, and I dont know if Amsoil is ok or not.

I have used Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil for years with no issues other than the price of it is getting crazy. Now about $13.00/liter where I live.

Mike

i . I USE THE AMSOIL 10 - 40 , BUT IN JERSEY I'M ALWAYS STUCK IN TRAFFIC , SO I STARTED RUNNING THE 20 - 50 ( A LITTLE MORE OIL PRESSURE AT IDLE WHEN HOT ) , I LOVE IT , AND IT WAS ALWAYS A HASSLE TO GET THE BIKE IN NEUTRAL WHEN STOPPED , BUT WITH THE AMSOIL , IT GOES RIGHT INTO NEUTRAL " NO PROBLEM " ! .. :punk: .. PLUS , I LET MY OIL DRAIN FOR 24 HOURS , READ THIS ! .. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=14099&page=4

Well I'm not too concerned about the price - I'll get it for next to nothing. I have heard of some clutch issues with synthetic. Apparently it isn't an issue if you get oil with the correct specifications. We get a huge range in temperatures up here in canada, think 10-40 would be a good choice?

Well I'm not too concerned about the price - I'll get it for next to nothing. I have heard of some clutch issues with synthetic. Apparently it isn't an issue if you get oil with the correct specifications. We get a huge range in temperatures up here in canada, think 10-40 would be a good choice?
i . THE AMSOIL " MOTORCYCLE OIL " IS DESIGNED FOR A " WET CLUTCH " !

My bike's PO said to stay away from synth. He apparently used only dino. The local dealer said it would be OK. So after talking around and researching BobIsTheOilGuy.com, I cleaned the bike out using Amsoil's flush and filled it back up with Amsoil 10w40. I couldn't believe the difference! 2000 butter-smooth miles later, I haven't regretted it one darn bit.

Some synthetic oils do not like the wet clutch. I had to replace my clutch 600 miles after putting Mobil One in my vmax, and I dont know if Amsoil is ok or not.

I've used Mobil One 15W50 in my Max with no problems to this point. However, I do not abuse the clutch ie; burnouts, drag racing, etc, so that may not be a valid test. :confused2:

+1 ON THE 10-30 Mobile being n/g for clutches. Previous owner used it in mine. Rotella 15-40
non synthetic works for me. And, it's free. My good boss lets me take the left overs.
Steve-o

+1 ON THE 10-30 Mobile being n/g for clutches. Previous owner used it in mine. Rotella 15-40
non synthetic works for me. And, it's free. My good boss lets me take the left overs.
Steve-o
Ditto, here in Michigan. No luck on getting free oil though!:confused2:

I run Honda GN4 with a Honda filter. I know I'm a traitor, but the Honda shop is really close to my house! Never tried Amsoil but I have heard its really good oil, as most oils probably are nowadays with all of the advancements in additives etc.. Best thing to do is pick an oil and stick with it, making sure to change it when needed.

Amsoil is very good oil, it's all I've used for several years now. I do think any synthetic is slightly more slippery than dino oil however, and if your clutch is marginal it will slip.
I highly recommend the PCW heavy duty spring, it will prevent slipping and extend the life of the clutch by a lot, especially if you have a strong running Max. It is such an easy mod to do, (don't even have to drain the oil) and not that expensive.

Mark

So do you guys really think I need the stronger clutch spring to run AMSOIL? I want to run it because I get it free, but don't want to turn in into a big hassel. Also don't want to burn up the clutch.

So do you guys really think I need the stronger clutch spring to run AMSOIL? I want to run it because I get it free, but don't want to turn in into a big hassel. Also don't want to burn up the clutch.

You could just send the oil to me.....I'll give you $8 a quart for it. :biglaugh:

Kidding aside you would be CRAZY not to use if you are getting it free...or even at a decent discount. It's absolutely one of the best oils you can buy.

Mark

Latest posts

Back