Any structural engineers in here?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My aluminum boat trailer has stainless bolts, no corrsion or rust and it is 12 years old and spent most of its life in brackish water near Houston. My other boat buddies with steel bolts had to replace them if they could. Contradictory I know, but real life, i have not had a stainless screw or bolt rust/oxidize in aluminum. I can not say that about steel or galvanized.

How do you feel about a floor supported tool box?

Interesting on the SS. Rivet Sales man suggested steel over SS.:ummm:

My rolling tool box can be seen next to the DRZ and that's where I want to strap it to the wall. Four 1/4 bolts.

Attachments

• vmaxpitbull 005.JPG
    vmaxpitbull 005.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 7
My bad, i thought you were building a shelf. You just want to keep it from rolling around.

Communication is the key, unfortunately, a lack of it seems to be the norm.

After waiting for the parts.. I installed some SS nutsert/rivnuts to secure the ancra tie downs for the tool box. I might install another piece of oak to synch down to.. But Im thinking my tool box wont go anywhere..

Attachments

• FEATHERLITETOOLBOX 003.jpg
    FEATHERLITETOOLBOX 003.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 11
  • FEATHERLITETOOLBOX 002.jpg
    FEATHERLITETOOLBOX 002.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 9
Well, Bikes and tool box are secure and I couldn't leave well enough alone..

I decided to put a lift kit under the toy-hauler to improve clearance and help get me way up the mountain. I removed the axles and sandwiched a 4x4x1/4" square steel tube between the axles and the sub-frame, which incidentally is only 7' long and supports the aluminum trailer.

Question.. I replaced the short 5/8-18 grade 5 bolts, with 6" 5/8-18 grade 8 bolts through the 4x4.. What would you suggest for a torque on those eight bolts holding my axle's on? Torque on a grade 8 5/8-18 bolt is 170-215, but I will likley crush my 4X4 tube spacer before that happens..

And Iv been told it would be a good idea to add cross members. Do you think that's needed? The axles are the cross members I figure. Total of twelve Grade 8 5/8-18 bolts holding the 4x4x1/4" on.. Four per axle..

Thanks

Attachments

• FEATHERLITELIFT 006.jpg
    FEATHERLITELIFT 006.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 9
  • FEATHERLITELIFT 010.jpg
    FEATHERLITELIFT 010.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 9
  • FEATHERLITELIFT 012.jpg
    FEATHERLITELIFT 012.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 9
Rebar, for a grade 8 , 5/8 x 18 , Dry bolt is: 240 ft lbs. Thank GOD for cheat sheets at work LOL. Rebar I am not sure how you have the set up but you might have issues crushing the tube a little at that torque value.

G

Rebar, for a grade 8 , 5/8 x 18 , Dry bolt is: 240 ft lbs. Thank GOD for cheat sheets at work LOL. Rebar I am not sure how you have the set up but you might have issues crushing the tube a little at that torque value.

G

So what do you suggest short of 240 which wont crush to much.. Should I have fished short 5/8-18 bolts from the inside of the 4x4 instead of long bolts all the way through? I probably should have welded in tube inserts where the axle bolts are..

you can always take a pc of pipe that will fit just inside the tube that the bolt will go through. use it like a spacer, hopefully your seam on the inside of the tube is not on the top or the bottom so your spacer will fit snug. Then let her rip with full torque value!

G

Actually thinking about it, I would use a spacer no matter what. Like I said I am not sure exactly how it all lines up, but........ if your mount from your axel is in the middle of the tube, then you will want a spacer anyways. Over time steel will fatigue and the tube wall could slightly crush leaving your bolts loose over time. Then you would tighten them up and before you know it the side of the tube is in 1/2" plus. So if possible use the spacer pipe like I talked about above. This will ensure that the tube fatigue is kept to a minimum and your bolts will have a better chance of never loosening.

G

After waiting for the parts.. I installed some SS nutsert/rivnuts to secure the ancra tie downs for the tool box. I might install another piece of oak to synch down to.. But Im thinking my tool box wont go anywhere..

How do you like those nutserts? I have always thought that they freaking rock :punk:.

G

How do you like those nutserts? I have always thought that they freaking rock :punk:.

G

They take some time to install, but very strong.. Way stronger than a self tapping screw.

The 4 holes for the axle bolts are 1" from the edge of the 4x4. So I think the seam will be out of the way.. And flex is less, maybe not at all with the holes so close to the outside edge?

This has been one of those projects where your running on empty for the last day and a half of the project.. I need a break from 100+ temps and any hand tools that weigh over 25 pounds. :biglaugh: I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. :rofl_200:

They take some time to install, but very strong.. Way stronger than a self tapping screw.

The 4 holes for the axle bolts are 1" from the edge of the 4x4. So I think the seam will be out of the way.. And flex is less, maybe not at all with the holes so close to the outside edge?

This has been one of those projects where your running on empty for the last day and a half of the project.. I need a break from 100+ temps and any hand tools that weigh over 25 pounds. :biglaugh: I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning. :rofl_200:

get rested and then get it finished up. Sounds like you have it all under control.

:punk: G

Back