A corner of my garage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I've had a big home refurbishment project, getting ready for retirement. Part of the total renovation is a new garage. My wife said, "don't even think about moving your old rusty toolboxes and workbenches into that new garage!"

Fortunately, she did say that I could get new ones to replace the old. So, here's at least one corner that I've got set-up for being able to work on things, and I've got a lot more to go.

I like Sears stuff, readily-available, Craftsman holds up well in the use I give it, and it's not Snap On prices.

The first pic is a corner of the 2-car garage, unfortunately it doesn't have a deep depth where I could have two vehicles parked inside and space for a workshop in-front of them. We don't really use the garage for parking, we don't have any convertibles or any $$$$ cars to store-away, so I get the space for my workshop and 'stuff.' The workbench is what I have right now to work-from, no bike lift. It's 8 ft X 2 ft x ~40 in. high. The top is 1-1/2 in. thick plywood topped by 3/16 in. steel.

The Craftsman roller under-counter cabinets are plenty of storage space for some of my tools, but I have a lot more that have to find their 'homes.' For now, I've got it where I have my corded and cordless power hand tools, pneumatic tools, and measuring tools, along with other electrical things like an engine analyzer, multi-meters, clamps, hammers, and other hand tools and supplies in them.

I have a loft area above the front of the garage which gives me about 230 sq. ft. of storage, but there's no stairs. I have to climb a ladder to access it, not the most convenient, but I hope to install a lift to help w/getting things up & down.

The entire front of the garage is poured concrete 8 in. thick and all walls are CBS (block). The rebar in the front is 7/8 in. and the front support for the loft is a 4 in. X 10 in. hollow steel box beam which is attached via being welded to two flitch plates set into the side walls, and poured into place. In a hurricane, it's the strongest place in the house, the garage. The single-car doors and the exterior door are impact aluminum, the garage doors are insulated 2 in. thick. Miami-Dade County FL has one of the toughest building codes in the nation, I should know, I'm an inspector and a plans examiner. No windows.

It's been a long, drawn-out process, and I have a long way to go before the place is set-up as I want it, but it's getting there.

I posted a bit ago about the Whirlpool Corp. 'Gladiator' brand garage storage stuff http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=41294&highlight=gladiator, and I used their wall cabinets and the grooved wall track above the workbench. The grooved wall track is hung w/tapcons, and it allows lots of storage solutions, today I hung two of my cordless chargers on it to free-up workbench tabletop space, you can see them hanging on the left side wall. On one end of the workbench I have an 8 in. Delta grinding wheel & wire brush. I tried an Avanti brand wire wheel from the orange big box store and it was so out of balance, my grinder was jumping around like a roadway tamping tool. On the other end I hav a small bench vise mounted to a piece of 2X8 PT scrap, it's held in-place by a c-clamp, so I can use the entire tabletop space if I have to. I have already used it w/a 24 oz. ball pein hammer and it worked ok. I have a 'proper-sized' one stored away awaiting its place.

I just got a 77 in. W x 72 in. H x 24 in. deep Gladiator rack storage shelving unit which I'm gonna cut-down in depth to fit the smaller space I have between the garage car doors and the side walls. I need to stack things up against the walls so I can fit a vehicle in if I want to work on it.

I would really like to take some time off from work to try to get the whole garage squared-away, but I won't be able to, so it's 'do what you can, when you can.'

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• workbench.01.jpg
    workbench.01.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 232
  • 2015 AMCA Dania-Daytona-house 008.jpg
    2015 AMCA Dania-Daytona-house 008.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 48
  • April 2015 Iphone 010.jpg
    April 2015 Iphone 010.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 171
  • April 2015 Iphone 028.jpg
    April 2015 Iphone 028.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 47
Lookin' good, Medic. You will find that workshops evolve, based on changing interests and needs.
Certainly well built! The term "over-engineered" comes to mind. But I suppose that's all due to being in a hurricane alley.
In a worse case scenario, I can imagine all your neighbors flocking to your garage , kinda like a Noah's Ark thingee.
But that foundation construction - was there no thought given to the infamous freeze/thaw cycles????:biglaugh:
Cheers!
p.s. - considering your profession, I'm assuming those are SAFETY SANDALS that I'm seeing in that pic!

Ha, I live in sandals mostly, (it's FL, after all) but not when in the shop working on heavy stuff. I have a good pair of GA brand leather over-the-ankle workboots which I usually use for a day in the shop, though I've worn sneakers before, but not when doing the 'circular saw and screws' thing all-day, or using shovels, mattocks, and sledgehammers.

Most of the neighbors have replaced their windows and doors w/impact-rated items, re-done their roofs, and are probably themselves well-prepared for a 'big-un.' This area was heavily damaged by Hurricane Andrew which before Nu-Awlins' Katrina was the worst hurricane in amount of damage since they started keeping tabs on such-things. People who stayed-put upgraded their homes to repair the damage after the storm, others took the $ from insurance and moved north towards Ft. Lauderdale.

I also meant to say that I shopped Sears closeouts, Shop Your Way Sears deals, and Sears dent & scratch returns to pay probably < 33% of retail for all the Craftsman storage pieces and the workbench. Plus, they ask stupid prices for some of their stuff MSRP, it's always going on-sale, no reason to pay full list. I have a bunch of that wire rack shelving that you screw-together the 8 near-four-foot corner poles to make one almost 8 ft. tall unit, or two of the nearly-four-foot type, that I am gonna use in the loft, in the low configuration, next-to the walls. I'll leave space to get in-between them, and set-up a excel-spreadsheet program to keep track of 'what and where.' I have a ton of spare VMax parts I'm waiting to inventory.

Lookin' good, Medic. You will find that workshops evolve, based on changing interests and needs.
Certainly well built! The term "over-engineered" comes to mind. But I suppose that's all due to being in a hurricane alley.
In a worse case scenario, I can imagine all your neighbors flocking to your garage , kinda like a Noah's Ark thingee.
But that foundation construction - was there no thought given to the infamous freeze/thaw cycles????:biglaugh:
Cheers!
p.s. - considering your profession, I'm assuming those are SAFETY SANDALS that I'm seeing in that pic!

Last edited:
Thanks, I wish I had a pole barn but real-estate is $$$$ in the Big City. Plus, they don't want 'that-kind of neighbor' usually. One of my friends works out of his 2 car garage on H-D's, mostly, he's a retired Ford dealership mechanic. The city guys got word to 'lay-off' because he works on all the cops' Harleys. Sometimes it's who you know. You're not supposed to work a vehicle repair business out of your home.

Looking good congrats !

Thanks, I wish I had a pole barn but real-estate is $$$$ in the Big City. Plus, they don't want 'that-kind of neighbor' usually. One of my friends works out of his 2 car garage on H-D's, mostly, he's a retired Ford dealership mechanic. The city guys got word to 'lay-off' because he works on all the cops' Harleys. Sometimes it's who you know. You're not supposed to work a vehicle repair business out of your home.

Yeah
the neighbors in Florida loved that I was always home it made them feel good knowing I was always looking out plus they always asked car' lawnmower advice etc. I cant say much for the old neighbors in TN . I worked on 1 bike there & got the police & city called on me. :bang head: I have room for a pole barn now but there is this small thing called money & I am headed to Florida in the Morning to spend what money I do have.LOL

Last edited:
I'm happy for ya FM. Nothing like a proper man cave.It's where great stuff happens and ideas get put in motion. I'm struggling right now with my stuff about to get spread all over the place. Engines, parts. My KZ in rolling condition, but lots to do. Luckily I work out of a garage that is letting me move my tool boxes in. All my Vmax stuff is getting boxed and marked for transport. Me and Tina are, check the no relationship box. I'm already out. Life goes on. Not something I planned on, but maybe something better is in line. All I need is a roof and cave. I'm not the condo type. But here I am.
Steve-o

Good looking job there FM-Just finished an a-framed outdoor patio that looks just like it. Working indoor here at 120 degrees is nearly impossible. Sun here is a MF. I have a friend in Ft. Lauderdale that builds houses for a living if you need any weekend help.Hang in there Steve-o.

Good looking job there FM-Just finished an a-framed outdoor patio that looks just like it. Working indoor here at 120 degrees is nearly impossible. Sun here is a MF. I have a friend in Ft. Lauderdale that builds houses for a living if you need any weekend help.Hang in there Steve-o.

Thanks Blax, I didn't mean to hijack your thread FM. Sorry about that. I'm always working around the city bothering me for moonlight wrenching. I can't wait to get back into my own cave again. I can see it in my mind all set up.
Steve-o

I hate people with garages.. Mainly because I am jealous.. When we moved I found the perfect garage, issue was the house sucked...Tri-level, very small rooms and tons of stairs... We ended up with a nice sized yard, two small to med sheds- one had a ramp, so it works... Just have to extend it out to fit both bikes and have enough room to work on one or both...lol But seriously nice garage, jealous...

I leave my bike outside most of the riding season because it tends to be my daily driver. When I put it inside I have to ride it up onto the deck and pull it into the house through the front door. No garage here but living right in the Black Hills offsets that pretty fast.

Its not fair that some of you have a garage and not me, I'm entitled to at least a bouble with a shop area. Why hasnt Obama done something about this? Either I get one or nobody should have one!:eusa_dance:

Why do you need a house when you have a garage? That just takes up money and space and time away from doing the important things?

Its not fair that some of you have a garage and not me, I'm entitled to at least a bouble with a shop area. Why hasnt Obama done something about this? Either I get one or nobody should have one!:eusa_dance:

I hate to break the news to you my friend....but "Black Bikes Matter" and now your blue....so no help for you.:confused2:

Looks great! Those benches are envious for certain.
I completed my double bay with 11" ceilings last fall. Have a heater in there too. It's awesome. Ran it on low all season with the temperature never falling below 3 C or 37 F. Still miss enjoying a hot chocolate as WE wait for Santa to arrive though.

Attachments

• IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 20
I leave my bike outside most of the riding season because it tends to be my daily driver. When I put it inside I have to ride it up onto the deck and pull it into the house through the front door. No garage here but living right in the Black Hills offsets that pretty fast.

Casey, you could always start a "Gofundme" page:biglaugh:

Looks great! Those benches are envious for certain.
I completed my double bay with 11" ceilings last fall. Have a heater in there too. It's awesome. Ran it on low all season with the temperature never falling below 3 C or 37 F. Still miss enjoying a hot chocolate as WE wait for Santa to arrive though.
Best seat in the house!!!

Back