Any suggestions on a good gas treatment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I will start this by saying I know SeaFoam is considered a very good product. However the 2 times I used to and using the correct amount for winter storage I had to have my carbs rebuilt the next spring.

Now I know the Gen 2's a different but not sure how different they are when it comes to gas treatment. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good gas treatment for storing my Vmax for the winter or something they run in the gas all the time?

Thanks
Ron

I used Stabil marine (blue) for storage last year. It worked ok as the bike did start up and run, but I did need to do a shotgun to get one of the carbs working again within the first few week of riding this season.

For cleaning (not storage), the best stuff that I have used so far has been Mr. Moly Fuel Aid (Amazon.com).

Happy riding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep stabil marine or shop around for corn free gas . I have 3 stations within 20 miles of me ..

I have the app that shows all ethanol free gas stations in my area, dang some say to use just gas and others say to use ethanol :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head:

Five years I've never had an issue , but I ride year round

I'm sure there are good products out there & Sea Foam is one of them. I would say Star Tron for all around protection is tops. I use it with every tank full for 2 yrs. now & no problems also tank has stayed clear of rust. But don't take just my word check into it for your self.

Dave

I thought the Gen2 was Fuel Injected.. If so, wouldn't periodic fuel injection cleaner use be more beneficial than a stabilizer, and normal use a known good fuel for keeping injectors clean?

BTW, on my 91, I read that when you store your bike, you can fill it up till it can't take any more fuel, and store it.. Filling it up reduces the amount of free air space, where water molecules can collect.

I read that basically, the fuel stabilizers is meant to break down the water molecules that ethanol sucks in from the outside. It's supposed to break it up, so that it does not collect at the bottom of your tank to get sucked into your fuel system..
Now of course with water, oxygen, and bare metal, can allow oxidation (rust)..
This is the reason I had to coat my tank..

So for the past 3 winters, I've been filling the tank fully, then storing it, No stabilizers at all.
Each new season, bike fires right up and runs great.

I fill up with ethanol-free gas before laying the bike up, and add Seafoam for good measure. And I start the bike every second week or so, letting it warm up till the fan comes on. The bike is kept in an unheated section of my garage, the temp. never falls below the freezing point.
No tender needed, with the Odyssey battery. Providing the choke is set right, the bike always starts instantly, sometimes even sooner:biglaugh:
Cheers!

I fill up with ethanol-free gas before laying the bike up, and add Seafoam for good measure. And I start the bike every second week or so, letting it warm up till the fan comes on. The bike is kept in an unheated section of my garage, the temp. never falls below the freezing point.
No tender needed, with the Odyssey battery. Providing the choke is set right, the bike always starts instantly, sometimes even sooner:biglaugh:
Cheers!

Miles I can't do Seafoam so I have to find something else.

Miles I can't do Seafoam so I have to find something else.

The info on the can says "good for injectors" as well as carbs.
Probably the best course of action is to avoid storing the bike with ethanol-added gasoline.
What does the manual say about long-term storage?
No doubt lots of advice on the net as well, such as googling "fuel-injected motors, winter storage"
Cheers!

Eagle you mentioned that "some" say to use ethanol. That is a first for me. I have never heard anyone suggest that e-gas is good for anything but clogging and gumming up carburetors, as well as making starting difficult on small engine's. Fill your fuel injected bike up with non ethanol gas and add some stabilizer to keep the gas fresh and you should not have any problems. If possible run your bike once a week or so.

i use lucas ethanol treatment in my 85 havent touched my carbs in about 5 years it seems to run better everytime i ride it.Bike has only 12000 miles since i bought it new in 85 it sits alot use to have to mess with the carbs every 2 years or so. Use lucas in my 2009 to so far so good.

The info on the can says "good for injectors" as well as carbs.
Probably the best course of action is to avoid storing the bike with ethanol-added gasoline.
What does the manual say about long-term storage?
No doubt lots of advice on the net as well, such as googling "fuel-injected motors, winter storage"
Cheers!

I will fill the tank with pure gas ( no ethanol ) I have a gas station 100 yards from my house so I will fill it until it can't take anymore and try the pure gas full tank with nothing else this winter and see how that goes.
Like I said I can't and won't do Seafoam

Thanks for the reply Miles

I said it a couple times on this Forum but no one seems to be heading the advice. -" PUT 10 DROPS OF "low ash" 2 STROKE OUT BOARD MOTOR OIL IN YOUR FUEL FOR STORAGE' its sensor & injector friendly. It keeps the octane level up, and the gas doesn't go bad for years. Plus nothing corrodes & your gaskets and rubber hoses don't go cock hard.

I said it a couple times on this Forum but no one seems to be heading the advice. -" PUT 10 DROPS OF "low ash" 2 STROKE OUT BOARD MOTOR OIL IN YOUR FUEL FOR STORAGE' its sensor & injector friendly. It keeps the octane level up, and the gas doesn't go bad for years. Plus nothing corrodes & your gaskets and rubber hoses don't go cock hard.

+1. I use a couple of ounces of stabilizer and 2 cycle oil to 5 gals of 10% Ethanol gas. Never had an issue. It sits in my generator over a year sometimes. Ethanol free at the pump would be welcome, but not likely in Ma.
Steve-o

Hey this is what I use P.i. Performance Improver Gasoline Additive made by Amsoil, I 'm a dealer it's 13.00 a bottle and treats up to 20 gals. About 4 tank fulls.

Back