Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
howdy again!
im another newbie here, ive posted a few times..
I have another random question.
Ive had my 98 now for 4 months, love it to death, high miles and all...(about 36000).
I cant find a definitive answer to what kinda HP this thing is supposed to make...when it was new of coarse. Ive read everything from 98HP to 113HP to 140....What was the factory HP supposed to be on a '98 1200?

Welcome to the forum B. Stock hp wiith v-boost is 145hp at the flywheel. At
the rear wheel? 105 and up with stock carbs is my guess. A well tuned Vmax will make good torque throughout the power band. Accellleration is the trademark of our bikes. Once the exhaust is changed to a better scavenging system, the power goes up quite a bit. The weight savings are a benefit too.You won't want to stop there, believe me.
Steve

Hey Guys.

I picked up a '93 Vmax a few months ago after looking for a few years. The bike has progressive front springs, air shocks in the rear, T-boost and a few other goodies.

I love looking around at the different ideas. Thanks for having me.

Hey Guys.

I picked up a '93 Vmax a few months ago after looking for a few years. The bike has progressive front springs, air shocks in the rear, T-boost and a few other goodies.

I love looking around at the different ideas. Thanks for having me.

People like you make the Vmax World go round.:clapping:

Greetings all,
new guy here, always wanted a V-Max. Picked up an 05 Anniversary Edition with 2000 miles on it from the original owner last month. Love the bike.

Hello everyone i am new to the site i have spent a while reading through the user mod's this my first post so i am no longer a post virgin !!!!

Hello everyone i am new to the site i have spent a while reading through the user mod's this my first post so i am no longer a post virgin !!!!

Welcome to the forum, there are a LOT of great people here...and a LOT of knowledge too.

Hello all, I joined a few months ago, but haven't introduced myself yet. I've spent these last few months reading the abundance of information this site has to offer.

I purchased an 85' vmax about a year ago with 12,000 miles, all stock. I'm the third owner, the original owner bought it new in 85' and rode it for 12K miles and then took the carbs off and started to clean them. He never finished the job and it sat for 7 or 8 years and then sold it to another guy where it sat for a short time and then I came along and purchased the bike. Beautiful bike, in mint condition. Other than being dirty from the mileage, it looks almost new. Everything on the bike is original and stock down to the tires. There is one small, penny sized, spot of rust on the frame and paint peeling on the underside of the bike, but other than that the bike is fantastic.

So for the past year, I've been cleaning it up and slowly bringing her back to life. It's been a slow process with a new family member who entered the world shortly after the purchase(he is now 1). The biggest challenge has been picking up where someone else left off in the middle of cleaning and rebuilding the carbs. When I got the bike the carbs were off the bike and there was just a box of parts. Luckily the original owner didn't get too far into the process. I have three carbs cleaned and rebuilt, but there was damage to one of the carbs beyond repair and it will need to get replaced. The damage was in the pilot screw hole. Seems to me the owner tried to take the pilot screw out and screwed the pooch. I have a friend who is an engineer for a company that makes jet engine parts and he took the carb to his machine shop and they couldn't do anything with it, too damaged. So after I replace that carb I can get them back on the bike.

I've also upgraded the brake pads and put on stainless steel lines. Everything else that has been done is just general maintenance(oil, filter, all new fluids, etc.). I think the only thing left to get her running is getting the gas tank off and cleaned. Once she is running I'll put new tires on.

Sorry for the novel. I want to say thank you to anyone who has posted any useful information on this site, it's been invaluable in cleaning and rebuilding the carbs.

Welcome J .WE'D love to see some pics ! and there's a few of us that can help you out with carb parts, in fact I have an 85 parts bike that still has a rack -o- carbs on it.

Hi All,

I just bought my first VMAX this week, a 1998 with quite a few mods (listed below) reportedly done by Sean Morley sometime ago (true? I don't know). I picked it up near Pittsburgh and imported it to Ottawa, Canada.

So far, the bike is about what I expected--an absolute beast. My last bike was a 2011 Honda CB1000R (naked streetfighter) and before that I had a 2007 Yamaha MT-01 (look it up, American friends, 'cause you never had that model). I also have a 2003 Yamaha R1 track bike which is modded all to hell and putting down 155rwhp.

While the CB1000r with a racing exhaust was by far the fastest roadbike of them all, it was also the least fun. So smooth. So little drama. When I go WOT on the VMAX though, well, it's a freaky adventure every time (partially because the engine feels so un-linear, like its got a turbo...just hold on and hope for the best). Even the R1 is sorta boring by comparison. (Well, if you can count going 180mph as boring. Which it's not. So, boring is the wrong word. But whatever.)

Anyway, the first thing I have to do is change the seat. I never ride 2-up and I want to convert to a single seat, plus I find the Corbin not only ugly but rather unsuited for my butt.)

Any advice on the best way to sell my current set-up and get into a single-seat? Do I need a new rear fender?

Anyway, here are the mods. I wouldn't doubt some of you have seen this bike before. I attached a couple pictures taken today.

I got a dyno sheet indicating the bike puts down 127rwhp. It doesn't feel like that much to me using the butt dyno, but who knows?

rZ3Cz82.jpg

U6io1wV.jpg

OEM Backrest w/Black Powder Coat
OEM Case Guards
OEM Cowl Cover
Corbin Seat
SuperBike Fork Brace
Progressive Fork Springs w/15 wt Fork Oil
Progressive Series 12 Shocks w/Heavy Duty Springs
Hindle 4-1 Pipe w/16" Stealth Carbon Can
European Style Superbike Bar
Grab-On Superbike Grips w/Billet Bar Ends
B-W TFS 545 fan switch
Napoleon Mirrors
Stainless Engine Case Bolts
Clear Clutch Cover
Barnet Clutch Conversion
Chrome Mini Blinkers w/DS-272236 Load Equalizer
Odyssey Battery PC 680 (Gell Type) - New
Side Marker LEDs - on Radiator End Caps
Clear Alternative Tail Light w/Red LED Bulbs
Bio Hazard Design Frame Conectors
PCW Braced Swing Arm Black Powder Coated
w/Matching Pumpkin
Exactrep 17" Rear Wheel
Polished Aluminium Master Cylinder Covers
Custom fit K&N 33-2206 with entire airbox removed
Raptor Shift Light set at 9,000 RPM
EBC Double-H Brake Pads
Scoops Powder Coated Black
Side Covers Powder Coated Black
T-Boost
Solid Motor Mounts

Jetting-->
Mikuni 152.5 Main Jets
and 170 Primary Air Jets
Factory Needles
# 1175f-84m-24s
Clip Position - 1st Notch
Dynojet Springs # DSP044
Dynojet Air Correctors # DC0402
Pilot Screws out 3.25 turns

Tires-->
Front:
Metzeler Roadtec Z6 110/80ZR18
Rear:
Metzeler Roadtec Z6 180/55ZR17

To the new members here, Welcome Aboard!
I'm still relatively new here, but I have found that this site is a goldmine of information and helpful and knowledgeable members.

Hello everyone, and thanks for keeping the site maintained. I've been pouring through it the last few days in anticipation of picking up my first Vmax tomorrow afternoon. I've been lusting after one of these ever since I heard of their existence years ago. It's a 2003, mostly stock with 10k miles. I'm getting it for a steal of a price (in my opinion) from the original owner. I have never seen a used bike of any sort in this sort of showroom condition. It is the definition of mint, and indicates the owner's obsessive care and love of this bike. He doesn't log daily miles on it because he doesn't want to have it out in the sunshine for too long at a time.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and introduce myself to the club!

Awesome Kieth! Congrats on the new purchase and cant wait to see some pictures of it. Welcome

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Hello to all on the forum. Just purchased a 2013 nubile purple V-Max.
The power is awesome and the handling is superb. Can't stop grinning.
I'll be spending a lot time on this forum. There seems to be a wealth
of info here. So howdy to all and I'm glad to be here.

Hello everyone, no Vmax yet, but that should change within 2 weeks. My general story is that I have been curious about this beast since about 1990. That is when I lost a street race to a Vmax while on a 1986 GSXR 750. At the time, I blamed it on my girlfriend. It would have been a different story if I was riding solo.... Ofcourse I have come to terms with reality at this point. Fast forward almost 25 years. i need a bike that is more comfortable 2-up than my current bike (which I love, and won't be parting with). My 2-up needs are short rides, mostly backroads and twisties. Non aggressive riding when the wife is with me, usually less than 100 miles.
From what I have researched so far, the Vmax isn't the comfiest of all rides, but, with an aftermarket seat, can be fine for the short range I would use it for. Any opinions on that subject are welcome, being this will be "for the wife"....
The reality is I cant wait to feel the Vboost for the first time! That is enough rambling for now, I have a lot of reading to do. Might be taking a test ride as early as tomorrow. How do the Cobra pipes sound?

Back