Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Everyone,
Steve from Lansing Michigan here, my friends call me Thorny.I just wanted to say hi, and to let you all know that I look forward to gathering some experianced information, tips-N-tricks for this wonderful machine that I have.
Take care and we'll be talking soon, I'm sure,
Steve

Attachments

• DSC00136.jpg
    DSC00136.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to the V Max Forum guys, you've come to the right place! There's some very knowledgeable folks here that can help you with just about anything you have questions with, so....ask away!

Hey guys, First post.

about 5 years back I rode a zrx-1100 and loved it with a passion. Ive been riding since I was about ten. Crashed the rex without any damage to myself and kinda hit money problems. Over the course of the next few years I got into a better place financially but also got married. The wife knows about the crash and will not allow sport bike but she is down for a cruiser. I figure the VMAX is the perfect ride to sneakunder the radar. I dontknow alot about the bikes but I have seen a fe that I really like and Im definately looking into getting one of my own. I look foreward to reading through the threads and learning as much as I can before making a purchase.

Hey guys, First post.

about 5 years back I rode a zrx-1100 and loved it with a passion. Ive been riding since I was about ten. Crashed the rex without any damage to myself and kinda hit money problems. Over the course of the next few years I got into a better place financially but also got married. The wife knows about the crash and will not allow sport bike but she is down for a cruiser. I figure the VMAX is the perfect ride to sneakunder the radar. I dontknow alot about the bikes but I have seen a fe that I really like and Im definately looking into getting one of my own. I look foreward to reading through the threads and learning as much as I can before making a purchase.

welcome and let us know if you have any questions. tons of threads out there on which models are the best. def a good place to start.

Hi all,
new guy to the forum, owned my vmax for 3 years now and love it. my dad also has a vmax he bought about 15 years ago.

Hey guys, First post.

Hi all,
new guy to the forum, owned my vmax for 3 years now and love it. my dad also has a vmax he bought about 15 years ago.

Welcome! Glad you made it here.

Remember couple of rules and you'll be fine! Don't call members names or stir the pot and post as many pictures of your ride as possible. When you log on and say; "hey guys I installed a ????? this weekend." there better be pics to go with it... lol:biglaugh:

Enjoy and make sure you check out all the links by hitting the VMF links button above.

Chris

Hi all. Just picked up my first Max, which also happens to be my first street bike, this weekend. She's an 03' with just over 10K miles on the clock and I absolutely love her.

Attachments

• Max.jpg
    Max.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 15
Hi all. Just picked up my first Max, which also happens to be my first street bike, this weekend. She's an 03' with just over 10K miles on the clock and I absolutely love her.

AWESOME! Welcome! You started out right! You posted a picture!!!!

Lets see some more of the custom paint.

Enjoy the site and check out the VMF links above for great info about our mighty max.

Chris

Great! And welcome.

Bike looks well sorted and cared for. I have the exact same (Jardine) slip-ons and I love them, they really sound great.

All you need is a decent seat, ask Sean Morley :eusa_dance:

Thanks All for the welcomes. I'll post some more photos of the bike shortly. I'm normally one for simple matte black but I have to say I like the purple with the tribal design on my recent acquisition. Then again, maybe I'm biased...

Rhoy, I'm just outside of downtown Houston between Memorial and Washington - right near Taylor / Sawyer. Thanks for the group link. I'll join shortly.

Hi everyone. Been reading and lurking in the background. Figure I better give my official greeting. Bought a used 1990 VMax that was in storage for several years. Thanks to all you guys I have been slowly getting her dialed in. All your posts have really helped me learn about the mighty Max.
A quick shout to Sean. As soon as I can would like to have you rework my stock seat for me. She is my only transportation right now so as soon as I get some other wheels I will mail my seat to you.
Again thanks to all you guys for sharing on this forum you are a great group.

Rich (aka AKVMax)

Well Hello,
I just bought a 1985 V-Max!! First bike to own since 85 (gs550) so, kinda a starter bike, not thinking straight. But it be fun. Looking forward to tinkering on the bike and learning from you guys. Have learned alot on forums. had a 77 vette (corvetteforum) and a 74 mercury comet (comet/maverickforum) and it looks like this forum is a great one too!!
oh, pic.......
100_0718.jpg
[/IMG]
if it works and I don't get the dreaded red x
:biglaugh:

Hello new friends!
I am one of those over-the-hill Vmax owners. I'm 57 years old from deep South-Eastern Illinois. I used to ride a Seca 750 and when my back started bothering me, i gave up motorcycles for 15 years. Then, last Summer I started having that urge to ride again when several of my co-workers and Church friends started showing up on motorcycles.
The only thing I didn't care for, was that everyone rode cruisers that all looked like they were trying to look like Harleys. I wanted something different than everyone else in the parking lot. For 15 years, I had made myself stay out of cycle shops for fear of this sickness overtaking me again...but I had the virus already. So I started looking for a Vmax, or an ST1300, as those were two bikes that appealed to me. I bid on several bikes on Ebay within 50 miles without winning. Then one evening, I widened my search to 200 miles, and there she was....a red 89 Vmax that appeared in good shape with some subtle upgrades already installed. I bid, not even having hope of winning her. But an hour later, I checked , and I now owned one of the coolest bikes ever made.
Once I had trailered her home 200 miles through a pouring rain, and got her dried out after 2 days in the sun....All I could think was, "How could I have let 15 years go by without riding?" as I took a spin through the country to get acquainted.
I don't take long rides as my back might not take an all day ride, but I truly look forward to decent weather when I can ride to work around 6-6:30 Am ...the very best part of the day...especially when there is a nip in the air, and the sun is just coming up.
The only problem I have is every time I wash the Vera-max, I may spend from an hour, to 2-3 days in cloudy damp weather getting her dried out enough to run. I read a lot of posts here with the same problem, and I think it has to be the CDI box or its' plugs causing the problem, and it is so hard to get to the black box in order to dry it and I haven't figured out how to prevent moisture problem and have a clean bike.
One more thing I learned about a hydraulic clutch....when you fire her up for that first Spring ride after a couple of months sitting in the shed and just being started weekly, (had to hear it run at least)..be sure the clutch hasn't leaked off before you toe it into 1st, or at least make sure you are headed towards the open door!
I used to enjoy riding in the rain on my Seca, but for now, when it starts sprinkling , I head for shelter as I'm too old to push the bike very far! Hopefully, with your help, I can figure out how to keep moisture from shutting me down.

Looking forward to meeting some of you other Vmaxers out there.

Hello dj52, I am 68 and have an 85 V-max and love it. To cure the wet problems I pulled the tci and tried to fill it with silicone lubricant (of course most of it just ran out) then I used dielectric on every connector including the plug wires (both ends) and now i can wash it down good and get on it and ride.

welcome! do some troubleshooting and searching and possibly start a thread on the electrical. we'll get ya pointed in the right direction...

Thanks, That was the direction I was thinking after reading a lot of posts here. In fact, I bought some thick di-electric grease this morning for that purpose, as I only had the spray on.
Can the black box plugs be reached by removing the left air scoop? That is my next project as time permits...it was running two evenings ago and last evening , it was raining, so I let her sit in the shed and read cycle magazines.
I think it gets the water when I wash and accidently spray in the end of the scoop.
Thanks again for the info.

Latest posts

Back