Attaching Tank Emblems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t0lkien

Reaction score
I'm about to attach the Yamaha tuning fork stock tank emblems to my VMax (the replacement factory carbon fibre tank used in the rebuild came without emblems), and wanted to know if others had done it and knew of the best way to do so.

I've read something like this is the way to go: http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html

Is that the correct product to use? Original emblems have been difficult to get, and the last thing I want is to lose them on a road trip because the attachment method fails.

I re-attached the original tank badges to my re-shaped tank using ordinary two-sided foam tape. That was seven years ago. They have never budged.
Looks like the 3M tape in your link is similar, only a better grade. I'm sure it would work fine.
If you use a tape that is not black foam, just go around the perimeter with a black marker pen, before mounting to your tank. makes for a more in extrusive installation.
Cheers, mate!

I used that same 3m tape a year ago to put on my vmax logo on the side covers and I have had no problems. I even got caught in the rain a couple of times.

Lee

When I bought new ones from Yamaha to put on my custom painted lid, I seem to remember they had tape already on them. Just had to peel and stick.

When I bought new ones from Yamaha to put on my custom painted lid, I seem to remember they had tape already on them. Just had to peel and stick.

Oh, that would be great if they came set up ready to go. Good call. I'll wait and see what the case is (they are still on back order apparently, and cost me almost as much ship from the US as they cost to buy). I suspect they're going to be bare though.

WOW!!, that stuff is amazing!! :clapping:Not bad for $9bucks a roll. You only need a thumb nail peace for your emblems.:biglaugh:

Yeah VSB tape is seriously miraculous stuff. I may get a roll just have around even if I don't need it for the emblems.

Think there's a good chance of that....the little "V" badges that go on the ends of the crash bars are peel 'n stick too.

Just curious but what happened to your old emblems? You can take them off with dental floss, peel the old sticky off and reuse them.

Just curious but what happened to your old emblems? You can take them off with dental floss, peel the old sticky off and reuse them.

The original body work was black with silver stripes (2003) and I sold that with the emblems attached. The carbon fibre replacements are factory, but came without emblems. I didn't do the work, it was done by the guy who built the bike - the owner before me. I think he liked the bare look, but I'd prefer the emblems, which I've always thought were a nice touch.

The original body work was black with silver stripes (2003) and I sold that with the emblems attached. The carbon fibre replacements are factory, but came without emblems. I didn't do the work, it was done by the guy who built the bike - the owner before me. I think he liked the bare look, but I'd prefer the emblems, which I've always thought were a nice touch.

Gotcha! I agree, the emblems look cool! :clapping:

It is a little tricky to get them installed in the exact spot though. Fortunately I had another original cover so I laid them side-by-side so I wouldn't screw up. :biglaugh:

Ordered from the USA. They arrived today with self-adhesive tape on the back pre-applied, and are curved to fit the right spot on tank. 5 minute job if you include the careful Googling to check the exact right location (or close enough to it not to matter).

EmblemOn_zps285edd80.jpg

Nevermind, I found it. However, I'm confused. Why would there be two different part numbers for left and right? Would they not be EXACTLY the same? My parts search came up with 1FK-21781-00-00 and
1FK-21782-00-00 ??? WTH??? :ummm:

^ I'd guess that one is a Left side emblem and one is a right side emblem.
They are probably curved and oriented slightly differently so they match when installed.
I've never actually seen them off the bike to compare them though.

They are slightly different due to the curvature of the cover. It should be apparent when you get them and pre-fit.

Back