Bags and Windshield

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacon_grease

Reaction score
OK, I'm thinking abotu replacing my 21 year old Goldwing with a new V-Max.

LOVE the power and handling, but hate the lack of luggage space and wind protection (I spend WAY too much time on the highways at 90+ mph)

So, my first two questions (of many, I'm sure)...

1) Are there any companies that make decent saddlebag mounting brackets? I'll make my own bags, but I'd prefer not to make the brackets.

2) What are the better options for a windscreen? I prefer screens to just under eye level that are wide enough to keep my arms and shoulders out of the airstream.

And, before anyone asks... I will NOT buy a new Wing, ST1300, or a Beemer. They're all ugly as sin, two of them handle like pregnant yaks and I'm not dropping $20k+ on a bike.

Thanks!
John

National Cycle sells a pretty decent "Plexi-fairing" that is a nice fit on the Max that can be adjusted to a few inches above to a few inches below the eyeline of a 6' rider.....
It's gonna be nothing like what your used to on a goldwing tho'......

A company called FATMAX sells hard bags for the Max..

They might sell you the brackets by themselves????

I run soft luggage (saddle bags and magnetic tank bag) made by Nelson-Rigg that I am very happy with.

For the record I've ridden nearly every Sport touring machine thier is at one time or another and they will all outhandle the Max...
The Yamaha FJR1300 will outhandle it and outrun the living shit out of it to boot...Wish I had one.......

Well it will certainly be different if you still want to do a lot of touring. You "can" tour on the VMax, but with its small gas tank, you have to plan a few more stops. There is some aftermarket alternatives for a bigger tank though.
+1 on Fatmax baggage. It is hard luggage that was designed for the VMax, not standard luggage that was adapted to fit. He may just sell the bracket, but you can see more and ask him here http://www.fatmax.com/
Sorry, can't help you with a windscreen.

wfcall said:
National Cycle sells a pretty decent "Plexi-fairing" that is a nice fit on the Max that can be adjusted to a few inches above to a few inches below the eyeline of a 6' rider.....
It's gonna be nothing like what your used to on a goldwing tho'......

A company called FATMAX sells hard bags for the Max..

They might sell you the brackets by themselves????

I run soft luggage (saddle bags and magnetic tank bag) made by Nelson-Rigg that I am very happy with.

For the record I've ridden nearly every Sport touring machine thier is at one time or another and they will all outhandle the Max...
The Yamaha FJR1300 will outhandle it and outrun the living shit out of it to boot...Wish I had one.......

Shit hot, thanks for the information!

Those bags look pretty slick, maybe I'll just get them rather than bolt on those 40mm ammunition cases.

I'm not too worried about making a V-Max have wind protection like the Wing, I'm just too old to get my head beaten by the wind for 10 hours a day when I'm on vacation. Honestly, I'm really looking forward to being able to take the thing off for the days I'm not on the highway :eusa_dance:

I've test ridden the V Max several times over the years and, yes, the FJR is a sweet running bike, but the V Max is much more like my 1100. Massive amounts of torque in the useable range, quick through the "reasonable" speeds, and it just plain looks good.

Buster Hymen said:
Well it will certainly be different if you still want to do a lot of touring. You "can" tour on the VMax, but with its small gas tank, you have to plan a few more stops. There is some aftermarket alternatives for a bigger tank though.
+1 on Fatmax baggage. It is hard luggage that was designed for the VMax, not standard luggage that was adapted to fit. He may just sell the bracket, but you can see more and ask him here http://www.fatmax.com/
Sorry, can't help you with a windscreen.

I hadn't thought of the fuel capacity. What is a reasonable guesstimate about range on the V Max and mileage?

I had planned on one of the 4.5 gallon tourtanks (www.tourtank.com) to extend the range of the bike (my 5.5 gallon tank in the Wing doesn't cut it, but I get SHITTY mileage, high 20's when I'm in a hurry :rocket bike: )

I'm really liking those Fatmax bags....

Bacon_grease said:
I hadn't thought of the fuel capacity. What is a reasonable guesstimate about range on the V Max and mileage?

I had planned on one of the 4.5 gallon tourtanks (www.tourtank.com) to extend the range of the bike (my 5.5 gallon tank in the Wing doesn't cut it, but I get SHITTY mileage, high 20's when I'm in a hurry :rocket bike: )

I'm really liking those Fatmax bags....

The idiot light comes on at about 3.2 gallons used, which for most people I think comes in at around 90-115 miles......
I took a 2300 mile vacation trip two months ago and averaged 36-38 mpg running 75-85 pure highway....
Throw in a little stop and go driving and things can drop to as low as 27-29 if you ride very aggresively....

I have to admit, I'm diggin the tourtank. Would definitly make the weekend rides with the wife a lot more evenly matched since her Sv gets about 160-180 miles per tank.

A few months back I installed the Streetshield EX from National Cycle and really like it. I think it is 19.5" wide and 19" high. It offers good protection and I can easily see over it.

wfcall said:
The idiot light comes on at about 3.2 gallons used, which for most people I think comes in at around 90-115 miles......
I took a 2300 mile vacation trip two months ago and averaged 36-38 mpg running 75-85 pure highway....
Throw in a little stop and go driving and things can drop to as low as 27-29 if you ride very aggresively....

That's a full 60 miles short of my current range. Doesn't sound like much, but out in West Texas, that 60 mph can easily make the difference between a leisurely ride between pumps and taking the Shoe Leather Express that last 10 miles *grin*

Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it.

I'm down in Galveston, BTW.

Slide said:
A few months back I installed the Streetshield EX from National Cycle and really like it. I think it is 19.5" wide and 19" high. It offers good protection and I can easily see over it.

Thanks!!! I'll take a look at it and see.

Bacon_grease said:
That's a full 60 miles short of my current range. Doesn't sound like much, but out in West Texas, that 60 mph can easily make the difference between a leisurely ride between pumps and taking the Shoe Leather Express that last 10 miles *grin*

Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it.

I'm down in Galveston, BTW.

Cool, West Texas huh?

I grew up in Pecos so I know what REAL distance means...

My trip down to Big Bend I carried 1 gallon cans in my saddle bags; could have really used those tourtanks, they seem pretty cool.....

Do you live in Galveston or just visiting?

wfcall said:
Cool, West Texas huh?

I grew up in Pecos so I know what REAL distance means...

My trip down to Big Bend I carried 1 gallon cans in my saddle bags; could have really used those tourtanks, they seem pretty cool.....

Do you live in Galveston or just visiting?

Born and raised in Beaumont, Texas, now my permenant home is in Houston (my girlfriend and I have an apartment on the West side of town, buying a house with a 15 motorcycle garage :eusa_dance: ) During the week, I'm live on campus at Texas A&M Galveston (but I gradiate in may WHOOP!)

I do most of my riding in East Texas, but I try to hit Big Bend and other points west once a year or so.

I did the plastic gas can for a while, but that shit scared me, so I grabbed some of those sweet aluminum fuel cells from a camping store. Expensive as hell and hard to use, but they won't blow up!

I haven't decided if the tourtank is the right solution for me. I could weld up a nice aluminum tank with a larger capacity and would fit better on the bike for a shitload less.... Plus I'll be able to put baffles in it and build it to sit as low on the bike as possible. I'd like to have a 300 mile range, so I'll probably need a 7 gallon aux tank.

Years ago (around 1990 I think) I had a Rifle fairing on a Suzuki GS1150E on a trip to the Florida Keys from Dallas (must have been close to 4000 miles on that trip). It was great and there are several different windscreens available. There are 3 sizes if I remember correctly and I had the middle sized one (without built-in turnsignals). They will even paint match for you at a reasonable price. I am thinking about getting one for my Max for trips. I recommend the middle sized one first, then the larger one. The small one is not good for trips.

I've done Big Bend on my previous 1995 Max in 1998 and gas watching is a major part of the trip. No cell service for MANY miles when I went, so don't run out of gas. I think there is no gas available after Marathon till you hit Big Bend. Not open late either so hit the station during the day. Great trip. The road to Presidio along the Rio Grande was spectacular. From Presidio to Ft Davis was great also but just past there it turned into a really BORING ride back to Dallas.

I used the Yamaha windshield (without the Eagle :- ) )for a 3500 mile trip to the Outer Banks in 2000 and the Big Bend trip (about 1300 miles) and it worked fine for me.

I used some old BagMan saddlebags I had since 1982 on those trips plus a tail trunk. For some reason, I didn't have to move the turnsignals or make any mods. I have another bike that uses Givi bags and trunk so am also looking into using them on the Max. They look terrible but are functionally great and very good quality. Five Star makes Givi mounts for the Max and also a guy in England makes mounts that enable you to use Givi's WingRack 2 system. It looks even more bulky though and mounts higher than the Five Star.

Had to sell my 1995 Max in 2002 as I was taking care of someone and had no opportunity to ride. Sold it to one of my best friends. When my caretaking ended, I tried to buy it back but he was not going for that! I just purchased a 1997 and am in the process of fixing it up. There are a LOT more aftermarket items available now than even in 2002. Have already spent over $800 at U Motors in Fargo and am VERY pleased with the service and prices. Mike is great.

Don
VMOA # 782

Back