Basket finger and groove Divots.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
Both the outer and inner baskets have divots wore into the fingers and grooves where they contacted the disks. This must have been my problem with a hard to control jerky clutch action/feel. The disks always wanted to return to the locked position. I'm thinking I need new baskets. Are there any aftermarket baskets or mods. And should I replace at least the friction disks when buying new baskets? Not because the disk surface is worn.. But because the prongs must also be worn. And when placed in a new basket may promote uneven wear?:confused2:

Orient express sells billet baskets. Not sure if there are others or not?

http://www.orientexpress.com/Yamaha/Cruiser/VMX+1200+V+Max/Clutch/

Thanks Mike. I'm not sure I need to spend that much to cure my problem. And will probably buy new stock parts.

I was hoping someone had the same problem I have and would chime in on what cured it.

The clutch holds tight when released. But the feel and action of the lever made it almost imposable to fan the clutch for a controlled launch of the line.

My CR5 clutch basket was severly notched. The inner hub had some markings on it but it was nothing compared to the basket. This caused a couple symptoms.

#1, the clutch would not fully disengage. If I was in first gear with the clutch pulled in the bike would creep hard.
#2, the clutch lever was harder to pull in that it used to be. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference on a vmax since its a hydraulic clutch but definitely noticeable with a cable type clutch.
#3, rougher shifting, harder to find neutral

I didn't feel like spending $$ on a basket and hub so I just removed the basket and filed the edges smooth. It took A LOT of filing since the notches in the basket were severe. Took very minimal dressing with a fine file on the hub. The fibers were fine and they still looked new (on the "fingers" that engage the basket)

Took me about an hour to file the basket. I put it all back together and my clutch felt brand new. Super easy to pull in, no creep when in gear, easy to find neutral, smoother shifts, etc.... Bad part about notching is that it creates more clearance for the plates to shift fore and aft in the basket and I would imagine it will notch even quicker than it did the first time.

Notching is pretty common on those bikes. I've heard of guys getting the OEM baskets machined and installing stainless inserts in the grooves where the plates contact it. Some of the aftermarket companies (Barnett)actually make a billet aluminum basket with stainless inserts.

My CR5 clutch basket was severly notched. This caused a couple symptoms.

#1, the clutch would not fully disengage. If I was in first gear with the clutch pulled in the bike would creep hard.
#2, the clutch lever was harder to pull in that it used to be. Probably wouldn't make much of a difference on a vmax since its a hydraulic clutch but definitely noticeable with a cable type clutch.
#3, rougher shifting, harder to find neutral

I didn't feel like spending $$ on a basket and hub so I just removed the basket and filed the edges smooth. It took A LOT of filing since the notches in the basket were severe. Took very minimal dressing with a fine file on the hub. The fibers were fine and they still looked new (on the "fingers" that engage the basket)

Took me about an hour to file the basket. I put it all back together and my clutch felt brand new. Super easy to pull in, no creep when in gear, easy to find neutral, smoother shifts, etc.... Bad part about notching is that it creates more clearance for the plates to shift fore and aft in the basket and I would imagine it will notch even quicker than it did the first time.

Notching is pretty common on those bikes. I've heard of guys getting the OEM baskets machined and installing stainless inserts in the grooves where the plates contact it. Some of the aftermarket companies (Barnett)actually make a billet aluminum basket with stainless inserts.

Thanks. I see you didnt have my symptom of a uncontrolable clutch during fanning/slipping action. Meaning I could never find that sweet slipping spot on a launch. One that prevents wheel spin. It was either on or off and nothing inbetween.

One thing about the finger filing is that if one finger was filed deeper than the other. The next finger would be subjected to twice the force when locked up.

Who installs the inserts? Is that a better choice than buying new baskets?

Thanks again Mike

Bad part about filing the notching away is that it creates more clearance for the plates to shift fore and aft in the basket and I would imagine it will notch even quicker than it did the first time.

How would the plates shift the back side of the fingers without a reverse gear? :confused2:

I had bad notches on both edges in the basket. Not sure what causes it. It looked similar to this but mine were worse

NotchClutch.jpg

As far as replacement parts go, I never really heard of anyone needing something other than a oem basket for the Vmax unless the bike is something VERY extreme

This is sounding more and more like my problem with my max. I've been eyeballing the orient express billet basket, but it seems to be a no-name or in shop deal with them. Anyone have any experience with their baskets? are they any good? or is OE better? And can you just buy the basket? Or do you need the backing plate, whole 9 yards spring conversion, etc?

I had bad notches on both edges in the basket. Not sure what causes it. It looked similar to this but mine were worse

NotchClutch.jpg

As far as replacement parts go, I never really heard of anyone needing something other than a oem basket for the Vmax unless the bike is something VERY extreme

Holy crap! Mine looked nowhere as bad. Im guessing the deepest divot was less than 5 thou..

Back