big hp Katana

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hayabusa engine?

edit: just read the article, yes it is :)

nice work, must be crazy the ride :)

For a turbo 'busa mill, that actually seems kind of conservative. Heard some of them in the 5-600hp range. Maybe 395 is the "everyday driver" tune? haha

Having ridden a bike with 200hp, the S1000rr, I can't possibly imagine how you could use double that power. That bimmer rocketed forward with absolutely ungodly force....nailing that in third was as close as you can get to being Wile. E. Coyote sitting on top of the ACME rocket when it goes off. Absolute holy-shit acceleration and the very real fear I couldn't hang on and would just fly off the back. I got up to 160-170 from highway speed in a blink and it was still pulling, hard. If not for the traction controls(which I kept on the sensible "sport" mode) I probably would have gone over backwards a half dozen times.

I mean really.....what's the point? You just can't put that kind of power to the ground in something as small and light as a motorcycle, at least something you could ride outside of a drag strip or Bonneville. Bikes have already gotten powerful enough they need computer wizardry to keep the power manageable, right off the showroom floor. So yeah, it's really cool that you can tell people you have a 400hp motorcycle, but to me it's more of a flight of fancy, a tour de force. That "if some is good, more is better" mentality taken to the extreme.

For a turbo 'busa mill, that actually seems kind of conservative. Heard some of them in the 5-600hp range. Maybe 395 is the "everyday driver" tune? haha

Having ridden a bike with 200hp, the S1000rr, I can't possibly imagine how you could use double that power. That bimmer rocketed forward with absolutely ungodly force....nailing that in third was as close as you can get to being Wile. E. Coyote sitting on top of the ACME rocket when it goes off. Absolute holy-shit acceleration and the very real fear I couldn't hang on and would just fly off the back. I got up to 160-170 from highway speed in a blink and it was still pulling, hard. If not for the traction controls(which I kept on the sensible "sport" mode) I probably would have gone over backwards a half dozen times.

I mean really.....what's the point? You just can't put that kind of power to the ground in something as small and light as a motorcycle, at least something you could ride outside of a drag strip or Bonneville. Bikes have already gotten powerful enough they need computer wizardry to keep the power manageable, right off the showroom floor. So yeah, it's really cool that you can tell people you have a 400hp motorcycle, but to me it's more of a flight of fancy, a tour de force. That "if some is good, more is better" mentality taken to the extreme.

I don't think it's for the street. The 600 hp busa I saw was for standing mile racing

I can't possibly imagine how you could use double that power. ....
I mean really.....what's the point? You just can't put that kind of power to the ground in something as small and light as a motorcycle, at least something you could ride outside of a drag strip or Bonneville.

Actually you can use the power, its not rocket science.
I've put together a Turbo Busa and a Turbo R1, using the Mr. Turbo kits, for a couple of friends. The Busa made just under 500hp and the R1 a little over 400. both stretched, I think the Busa was 8" and the R1 10".

With today's electronic boost controllers and ignitions, just press a button and your backing down the boost for the streetable ride you want. At the track, just decrease the timing and increase the boost. Both can be done in no time flat, leaving you plenty of time to re-gear if you want.

The main thing is, you have to learn how to ride a big HP bike and get used to it. Many people are under the conception that if you can ride one bike, you can ride them all. Look at Jessie James on one of his shows. They tutored him then put him on a funnybike. First thing he did was blow the engine. the second chance he got on another bike he damn near wrecked it (off camera) In the edited TV version it shows him finally making a pass.

Throw a car tire on a big HP bike and thats a whole other can of worms to add to the learning curve. I remember the first time out on the funnybike doing half passes, the amount of work to keep the bike under control definately increased. It was quite the summer of learning.

I'd say about 85% of the big hp bikes I have ran accross were grudge bike, pro-street types and were driven by the weekend warrior type. With the others, put on the street for the "cool factor" with about half of them winding up bent in the junkyard.

Here is a good example of walking the line at the racetrack. A nice demonstration of skill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=075lXr8FQCM

I don't think it's for the street. The 600 hp busa I saw was for standing mile racing

I agree, if you look at the picture, and the pictures behind the dyno screen, that puppy looks to be stripped of alot of it's street equipment. I'm thinking its a grudge bike.

Back